"Gear Display Data Error" (PIC)

the part number they list does cross reference to a mlps that is listed for a 97 mark on rockauto.

When I had that message it was my abs unit on my 98 also had no speedo...no odometer...didn't effect transmission as transmission uses the vss only

When I had that message it was my abs unit on my 98 also had no speedo...no odometer...didn't effect transmission as transmission uses the vss only

I think you are confusing that message with the "DATA DISTANCE ERROR" I had that message on my cordovan 97. Odometer didn't work either. ABS had to be swapped in order for it to work.

gear display data error

I had this happen to me tonight at work. I have a 2001 Continental that won't turn over, no sound from fuel pump, along with "check traction control" and "fuel flow data error". I checked all the fuses and swapped a couple that might have been suspect even though they looked good....nothing. Can anyone help or am I doomed to some ridiculous repair bill that is going to make me part ways with the car???

I had this happen to me tonight at work. I have a 2001 Continental that won't turn over, no sound from fuel pump, along with "check traction control" and "fuel flow data error". I checked all the fuses and swapped a couple that might have been suspect even though they looked good....nothing. Can anyone help or am I doomed to some ridiculous repair bill that is going to make me part ways with the car???

Those are not the same errors showing up on our cars. Sounds like you have a different issue there buddy.

I'll say MLPS... Not sure why the VSS has anything to do with your issue, especially since you are getting the error with the car stationary.

I'll say MLPS... Not sure why the VSS has anything to do with your issue, especially since you are getting the error with the car stationary.

I forgot to mention, the error comes out as soon as I put the car in "D" & only in "D". I can put it in reverse, neutral, etc... no error. If I manually shift, it shifts weird.

Has an MLPS not been bought yet?

Yes, waiting for it to arrive.

I need to revive this thread because I never updated anyone & I need help.

The MLPS was swapped 4 months ago, error message still showing.

The chip underneath the shifter is now uninstalled. I shift the car into reverse, neutral, 2nd or 1st & I DON'T get the message yet as soon as I shift it into Drive error message immediately comes up. This leads me to believe it's NOT the chip below the shifter either. I no longer know what it could be. Hell my tranny shifts smoothly. If I could snip the wire that sends the signal just like the air ride message, hell I'd cut it. I'm tired of seeing the message. It's driving me up the wall. Check out the pics below.

with this chip disconnected, the message still shows up when in DRIVE ONLY! Which means it's NOT the chip.

20121125_141924small.jpg

smaller.jpg

Hmmm, Thought someone would've known what this could be by now. I truly wish there was a solution to this issue. Do you guys think it could be something with the actual gauge cluster? At this point since I replaced the VCRM & disconnected the chip under the shifter yet the message is still showing, I truly don't know what the issue could be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thats the thing. Its disconnected yet the error still shows. What If i spend the money & thats not the problem? How much do u want for it? Im watching one on ebay as well but didn't buy it because i didn't want to send the cash not knowing what the issue is.

Ok guys, I truly need help here. I'm tired of that dreaded "Gear Data Display Error" message. I've swapped the MLPS & just swapped the panel under the shifter yesterday. It's IDENTICAL.

At this point since I have a shift boot I could care less about the lighting up of the gears

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH WIRE TO SNIP TO STOP THIS MESSAGE FROM SHOWING UP?

I was going to say, the next thing I would try is swapping out computers but I don't know that you'll get good results from that either. You can always remove your PT ECU and put it in the black one to see if it still does it "FOR FREE"

So anyway to know exactly what this is? I replaced the neutral safety switch. cruise works, trans shifts, although a little hard (but has since I purchased it) but I do also have the ABS light constantly on, and the Traction Control warning message too, with the T/C off lit up. Would the ABS module being bad cause the gear display message? Or could it be my PCM? I am thinking I will remove the ABS pump/motor/module, rebuild it and see if that fixes both problems, but just wanted a back up plan incase this didnt solve my problems.

I, and Ultimate ended up replacing our PCM's, and that's what solved our "Gear Display Data Error" problem.

So anyway to know exactly what this is? I replaced the neutral safety switch. cruise works, trans shifts, although a little hard (but has since I purchased it) but I do also have the ABS light constantly on, and the Traction Control warning message too, with the T/C off lit up. Would the ABS module being bad cause the gear display message? Or could it be my PCM? I am thinking I will remove the ABS pump/motor/module, rebuild it and see if that fixes both problems, but just wanted a back up plan incase this didnt solve my problems.

It seems like you have plenty more issues than I had. I only had that GDDE message when I started the car. The PCM fixed the issue but it seems like you may have other problems brewing I don't have the experience to tell you what's going on.

Members online

No members online now.
Back