FINALLY... new sub.

small sealed = the best sound quality and most accurate and even levels across a huge range of freq's
Not necessarily.. Depends on sub and box specs
with the same sub, a sealed box will be have a much more even range of freq's as long as both boxes are built right, plain and simple, a ported box CAN NOT have a even range of sound, its going to have a sweet spot where everything in the range is boosted, which is why you dont see too many people in SQ comps using ported boxes (and winning).

] much louder but only in a smaller range of freq's, little less SQ because of the range of freq's that have been boosted (the freq that the port is tuned to)
Not true at all.. If tuned correctly the subs will hit the same freq as the sealed box.. again it comes down to subs and box specs..
no, that is not true, the port will have to be tuned to a specific freq, and that freq (and the freq's near it) will be boosted, outside of the "tuned" range(which will be fairly narrow compared to the full range of the sub), every other freq, will be much lower in volume. it is impossible to have a port tuned to the whole freq range of the sub.

with the same sub, a sealed box will be have a much more even range of freq's as long as both boxes are built right, plain and simple, a ported box CAN NOT have a even range of sound, its going to have a sweet spot where everything in the range is boosted, which is why you dont see too many people in SQ comps using ported boxes (and winning).

no, that is not true, the port will have to be tuned to a specific freq, and that freq (and the freq's near it) will be boosted, outside of the "tuned" range(which will be fairly narrow compared to the full range of the sub), every other freq, will be much lower in volume. it is impossible to have a port tuned to the whole freq range of the sub,

Wanna bet?! :D

Loud knows his stuff....he does it for a living.

This thread really makes me want to replace my stolen sub. Sometimes I can convince myself I don't miss it that much, but its a losing battle. I'm tempted to just get a bazooka tube, they have 10" ones with 400W peak for $139 online...

This thread really makes me want to replace my stolen sub. Sometimes I can convince myself I don't miss it that much, but its a losing battle. I'm tempted to just get a bazooka tube, they have 10" ones with 400W peak for $139 online...

Eww, and for $139 you can get a lot better lol. Try here.

Hard to build anything decent for $150 that includes sub, amp, and box. Ive got other hobbies and projects that are consuming my cash. Plus I'm not a bass junkie or aficionado like some on here.

Hard to build anything decent for $150 that includes sub, amp, and box. Ive got other hobbies and projects that are consuming my cash. Plus I'm not a bass junkie or aficionado like some on here.

I bet you could find a decent sub/box combo for $150, amp would be more tacked on; idk about craigslist near you but near me there is always systems up for sale for cheap, although I'm convinced that half are stolen lol.

Id rather save my money and not waste the $150.

I used to also.. for 6 yrs. :cool:

yea well ive been doing this for over 10years, and have trophies, training, technical information, feedback from companies that make this stuff, and happy customers to back it up.

in those 6 years, how many boxes have you built, over fifty?

Wanna bet?
yes i do, show me a video of a box tuned from 90Hz, all the way down to 30Hz, show it getting metered, and show us all that there is no freq's that are getting boosted or enhanced, i want to see a chart of freq vs Db, and when i see this magical ported box that doesn't have a sweet spot so i can ask the builder what freq he tuned it to, i want to hear him say "all of them"

thanks, now you have showed every body that does know whats going on, that you haven't a clue.

yea well ive been doing this for over 10years, and have trophies, training, technical information, feedback from companies that make this stuff, and happy customers to back it up.

in those 6 years, how many boxes have you built, over fifty?

yes i do, show me a video of a box tuned from 90Hz, all the way down to 30Hz, show it getting metered, and show us all that there is no freq's that are getting boosted or enhanced, i want to see a chart of freq vs Db, and when i see this magical ported box that doesn't have a sweet spot so i can ask the builder what freq he tuned it to, i want to hear him say "all of them"

thanks, now you have showed every body that does know whats going on, that you haven't a clue.

Lol.. Now the Penis measuring starts huh.. :cool: Allow me to clarify.. u said no one was winning with ported tuned boxes.. my reply was "Wanna Bet?!" And i have trophys to prove that :q:q:q:q. So with that said.. All that other :q:q:q:q u typed was a waste of words bro. So thanks, now u have showed everybody that was actually paying attention.. YOU dont have a clue what the original bet was about. :cool:

u said no one was winning with ported tuned boxes.. my reply was "Wanna Bet?!" And i have trophys to prove that :q:q:q:q. ..
really, how many SQ comps have you won with your ported boxes? every comp ive been to ive seen sealed boxes that take the cake, you do know that there is a difference between SQ & SPL right?

So with that said.. All that other :q:q:q:q u typed was a waste of words bro.
yea, i can see how too many words would start to get to you.

YOU dont have a clue what the original bet was about. :cool:
yep, you right there, i guess its hard to be able to tell which one of my comments you where challenging, sine you quoted a couple of different ones with no direction to them, my bad. i will try to better decipherer the meaning of your comments by reading your mind next time, cool?

Now the Penis measuring starts huh..
No, that clearly started when you thought that you HU was super sweet because its over 8 inches ("biggest on the market")
Plus the fact that my screen is 8.5 inches.. (biggest on the market right now)

So Pete. Is your box done yet???:p

I wish. Going to pick up some plywood from HD today, along with the liquid nails, and a new belt for the belt sander (to round the edges just a little.)

I believe I'm going to build at 2.25-2.5, tuned to 34 hz.

Going to pick up some plywood from HD today, along with the liquid nails

i would go with good old wood glue, construction adhesive doesn't tend to hold up to vibrations as well, and wood glue being thinner will soak into the wood grain a little better for a stronger hold

it is impossible to have a port tuned to the whole freq range of the sub,

Wanna bet?! :D

That is what you quoted, stack. That is the point you were betting on, not whether ported boxes win comps.

Sorry to play devil's advocate here. Funny how I'm getting caught up in the derailment of my own thread. Normally I just derail everyone else's threads lol. Maybe I should start talking about cigars in here too :p

Going to pick up some plywood from HD today, along with the liquid nails
i would go with good old wood glue, construction adhesive doesn't tend to hold up to vibrations as well, and wood glue being thinner will soak into the wood grain a little better for a stronger hold

Thanks bud. Gorilla glue? Or just plain old yellow wood glue?

I'll have to pick up some bar clamps too...

i usually just go with the plain old yellow stuff, i have used gorilla before, and that sh!t is no joke, its kinda messy but it holds like nothing you've ever seen before. i cant remember if it need a lot more time to setup or not.

also if you use any screws to hold it together, please pre-drill and counter sink.

No. I refuse to predrill and countersink. :p

Honestly, after all the cabinet installs I've done, I wouldn't think of NOT predrilling. What do you do for spacing between screws? Every 4"?

What do you do for spacing between screws? Every 4"?

that should be fine, i dont ever go longer than 6 inches, but @ 1kw+, your going to be pushing more power than your average setup, maybe your ply wont split at easily as MDF from the screws

I'm positive I won't have any issues with that. I use these screws (predrilling and countersinking) into solid maple and haven't had an issue with splitting.

You are getting birch ply, right?

Normal plywood is a joke for box construction. Also I recOmmend Titebond for the wood glue.

Drywall screws are basically used to suck the joints together, the glue is what holds the box intact. You can probably sPace the screws 6or more. But if you feel t isnt tight enough just use discretion.

Also pick up some clear silicon to run along the joints and seal the aero.

This is from my phone so sorry if it's a mess.

Members online

No members online now.
Back