chickens newest project

it will fit in a mustang, but if your gonna go that route just get a cobra, in the end it would be more bang for your buck. we did the bird cuz he had one and liked the car so we decided to swap it rather than buying another car and spending more than the worth of the car modding it.

if you want a 4v... like chicken said, get the cobra. Shoot for an 01 cobra; it has an IRS, 31 spline diff and better seats... plus, a bit better head and intake design than the earlier 96-98. In the long run, it would be cheaper, and you're in reality getting a better platform. (cobra's have, since 96 had a 4.6L 4V, but the car itself really came into it's own for suspension (IRS) and durability(31 spline over 28 spline) in 1999 and 2001 respectively)

Another option would be the 03-04 Mach 1... this runs what is essentially the same cobra engine block from the 99 and 01 with the even better heads from the 03-04 but it has a shaker hood scoop (functional) with a solid axle rear end. And last option... 03-04 cobra; these have the super charger and 390HP with IRS from the factory.... they are also listed in ascending price range.

Of course, if you really have the money... and can find one of the 300 year 2000 Cobra R's... you'll get a 5.4L DOHC and all the goodies that came standard later in the cobra life span such as IRS, 31 spline and Brembo brakes. But don't go looking for a back seat, air conditioning or a stereo to be included!!

if you want a 4v... like chicken said, get the cobra. Shoot for an 01 cobra; it has an IRS, 31 spline diff and better seats... plus, a bit better head and intake design than the earlier 96-98. In the long run, it would be cheaper, and you're in reality getting a better platform. (cobra's have, since 96 had a 4.6L 4V, but the car itself really came into it's own for suspension (IRS) and durability(31 spline over 28 spline) in 1999 and 2001 respectively)

Another option would be the 03-04 Mach 1... this runs what is essentially the same cobra engine block from the 99 and 01 with the even better heads from the 03-04 but it has a shaker hood scoop (functional) with a solid axle rear end. And last option... 03-04 cobra; these have the super charger and 390HP with IRS from the factory.... they are also listed in ascending price range.

Of course, if you really have the money... and can find one of the 300 year 2000 Cobra R's... you'll get a 5.4L DOHC and all the goodies that came standard later in the cobra life span such as IRS, 31 spline and Brembo brakes. But don't go looking for a back seat, air conditioning or a stereo to be included!!

cobras are pretty pricey... i see mustang gt's with popped motors all over the place. a 4v doesnt just drop right in say in like a 96 mustang gt?

Have you checked out any of the Mustang forums? Bound to be info on swaps such as this. Prolly a few GT owners have asked / done similar.

ok well since we got all the latches locks and seals in the body shop put it outside (during the day) for about a week. then they washed it for kind of a "pre last touch up inspection" there were some things that he forgot to paint/need touching up so its going into the booth one last time so its last chance. the painter still has to do the flat black on the b-pillars, the mirror bases and the long trim over the roof from the front windshield to the rear. and he didnt paint inside the gas door and the trunk latch is still green.
so here are some pics of her all shiny. my camera is stupid in florescent lights and i need the flash or i have super long shutter speed with it off. so first 1 is with the flash on, which reflects back off the tail lights and blacks out the pic. so i shot the next few with the camera on a stool with the flash off. dont mind the water spots. and a shot of the custom painted t bird emblem all the fake chrome was flaking off of it. and look at those ugly assed license plate holes ugh plate laws suck, oh and eric the "rattle can master" sprayed the front plate bracket black. and since the pics i got the rear license plate lights in and he put on the rear plate
*edit in the 2nd and 3rd pic you can see the right is a markviii alum lower control arm, still gotta do the left*

web size new paint 081.jpg

web size new paint 083.jpg

web size new paint 084.jpg

web size new paint 085.jpg

web size new paint 086.jpg

web size new paint 087.jpg

web size new paint 088.jpg

web size new paint 089.jpg

cobras are pretty pricey... i see mustang gt's with popped motors all over the place. a 4v doesnt just drop right in say in like a 96 mustang gt?

Nope, you'd require a different wiring harness.

Fact is, a cobra is the easiest route to go. if you want 98 body style (Gen 1 SN95), just get a 98 cobra; those aren't all that sought after, so they should be relatively cheap... no IRS though

Project looks good,that blue color turned out pretty nice.You guys should have went with 96-97 hood and headlights,they look lot nicer than 94-95.

Nope, you'd require a different wiring harness.
Why do you need a different wiring harness in mustang gt when swapping 4V,you don't need one in 4.6 sohc T-bird when swapping 4V.

Project looks good,that blue color turned out pretty nice.You guys should have went with 96-97 hood and headlights,they look lot nicer than 94-95.

Why do you need a different wiring harness in mustang gt when swapping 4V,you don't need one in 4.6 sohc T-bird when swapping 4V.

The DOHC engine has knock sensors that the SOHC engine does not:
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=88

Plus if you plan on running the IMRC's, where is your wiring for that with the SOHC harness?

And I'm pretty much willing to bet the ECU's are different too.

Of course, anything is do-able... if you don't mind deleting the knock sensors and IMRC....

But in the end, the reality is... it's still cheaper to just buy what you want in the first place... when it's already been built.

ok well 1 we are using the 96-97 headlights and hood, and have been for the last few years (thats why its black) and dont worry about the slight haze on the headlights, he just installed the brand new ones today

yup knock sensor, you just cut those wires off when installing it in a bird

the imrc you get a msd window switch (used for nitrous) and set that to energize the factory solenoid which opens the imrc's at 3k rpm and hold them open till what ever (think we set them to re-close at like 13k so yeah that aint happening)

this is a sohc harness and a sohc pcm, i just had to reroute the harness and change 3 maybe 4 connectors and get a tune and reflash the pcm

and rich, im workin on it, i keep telling him to come, so come on MWB show off the thundermark this year.......................if its out of the effin body shop by then

*ninja edit*
pics of the stock imrc solenoid and the msd window switch (mounted behind the splash shield next to the air filter, lookin for a better pic but dunno if i actually got a close up of the switch)

web%20size%20erics%20new%20eng%2067.jpg

web%20size%20erics%20new%20eng%2066.jpg

IRMCs and knock sensors are 2 useless things that you don't need anyways. Unscrew the sensors, take out the butterflies and you're done.I own 2 cars with 4V engines and none of them had 4V from the factory.It all depends what are your plans with the car and if you can work on them but like you stated before it would be better for that guy to buy a cobra if he doesn't have big plans for it.Sorry for the tread hijack.

I'd disagree on the IRMC's being useless... and to a point, the knock sensors too. For those too stupid to take care of their car, knock sensors could save their engine. As for the IRMC's... kind of hard to dispute the benefit for a factory engine which would otherwise suffer from a very week low end. As you said, depends on your plans for the vehicle and intended usage.

So I stand corrected (sort of)... you can use a 4v in a 2v car; but it's not a "direct" swap... modifications required.

well of course modification is required, and the only reason the dohc has a knock sensor is for when mr cheap skate dohc owner runs reg octane (all dohc are premium only), no need in a non boosted, non variable valve timing type of eng. how do you think 4.6 sohc engines run for a half a million miles with no knock sensor?

Cobras were premium only and mark viii were premium recommended.Why Ford used knock sensors on NA engines and it's funny because all supercharged ford cars don't have knock sensors[Cobras,super coupes]

look at them new headlights mmmmmmmmmmmmmm still in the blue plastic wrapper. then with no wrapper. then i try to be artistic

web size new paint 090.jpg

web size new paint 091.jpg

web size new paint 092.jpg

Cobras were premium only and mark viii were premium recommended.Why Ford used knock sensors on NA engines and it's funny because all supercharged ford cars don't have knock sensors[Cobras,super coupes]

Interesting to note but... the harmonics from the supercharger messed with the knock sensor. That's why they ditched them in the FI engines.

Chicken,
I am new to this site. I am planning on doing a similar swap. I have 1995 Crown Vic P71 that I want to install a 1995 Mark VIII engine into. I have both complete cars. The Mark was totalled by the previous owner, on the second day he had it. I need to know which harness(es), and computer to use. I want to use the IMRCs. Do I use the Mark's MAF and Injectors? I am planning on using the Crown's transmission. Thanks for your advice......

Looking at the picture, it would appear he used the mark MAF... which you'd also assume he used the mark's injectors (I think they are 24lb injectors vs 19 for the SOHC???)... Might be wrong though...

the trans should be no prob. what pcm to use could be tricky, since it controls the trans too, and thats 1 reason why we used the bird pcm, re loomed the harness and swapped a few connectors. the imrc's are ran by a msd nitrous window switch. they are actually designed to shut off the nitrous when your automatic car shifts gears and your on the spray, so you set a on and off rpm and use the ground signal (i think the solenoid is ground switched) to turn on the oem solenoid and tap one of the wires to the coil pack. 99% of the eng electronics are markviii, we swapped out the oil psi sending unit with the bird one (oil psi light vs gauge) and the window switch running the imrc's. the maf, injectors, tps, iac, and everything else are markviii all ran by a bird pcm, with a cookie cutter tune from Lonnie, and a modified bird harness all bird gauges 100% functional. the car is exactly what we (like i have much of a say in the design :D) wanted, to look completely stock and unless you really know, you wont notice anything

ok well on Saturday, after 2 hours of digging/pushing the car out of the driveway i got to the shop. MWB had all the wheel liners and all the little pieces installed in the back. we got the fog lights mounted, the front wheel wells installed, i threw on the finished door panels and installed a auto down relay thingie (something he found on tccoa) from a taurus, talk about cake, 5 wires and once i got my test light fixed we were all good. only a couple pics cuz who wants to see a wheel liner anyways? and just to note (since its been mentioned on one of his thread on tccoa) the leather inserts in the door panels actually matches the car and is not highlighter blue like it looks in the pics, even without flash its still bright as hell

web size new paint 093.jpg

web size new paint 095.jpg

ok, so today the body shop did the final buff on the car, installed all the windshield (front and rear) trim, the roof trim did touch ups on the mirror bases resprayed wiper arms. basically the body work/assembly is finished, just tint then the rear interior can go in, and i gotta finish making the other quarter panel trim panel. then back to the performance mods!!! well that and gotta get the car out in the sun and at least center caps lol
and if your wondering the 3rd pic down shows his awesome seat covers that i got out of a traded in escape, and figured they would get dusty instead of the seats

web size new paint 098.jpg

web size new paint 099.jpg

web size new paint 101.jpg

web size new paint 102.jpg

web size new paint 103.jpg

web size new paint 104.jpg

web size new paint 105.jpg

wow, you guys have that thing looking primo...i'll most likely be seeing you guys in the spring for a little bit of painting

Members online

Back