Black Knight Rebuilt...Another $300 Progress Thread

Loving that last picture. You remind me of when i worked on my 93. Did the same thing with the carpet. Went from tan to black carpet. Check out my Facebook page. I have a step by step by& my 93 interior is two toned black/tan. Damn, now i want another project Mark. Both my Marks are working great so i don't do much to them anymore.

It's all down hill now. Old dash is out, new dash is in with the SCIL, and key from the original dash swapped to this dash. Speedometer swapped over to keep the miles accurate. Amp wires are run straight through the middle. Next step is the headliner.
101_0032.jpg

101_0033.jpg

I'm gonna rebuild my sunroof rack tomorrow..hopefully I wont have to push up on the roof to close mine anymore ...

Good work G

YES!!

Looking awesome, man. Lovin the black.
Good call on the carpet.

Well there is apparently a difference between the dash harness in the 1997 and the 1998. My black dash which is from a 98 has one less connector than the dash of the 97. When I connected everything back up, I had one extra connecter with with nothing to connect it to. These are the connectors just below the air computer. I may have to pull the dash back out and swap the old harness onto this dash.
646728e2-1.jpg

I need the leather to repair a Collectors driver seat. The bolster is shot on the back part and the bottom is torn and the base is broken. So, if that bolster is good, I will take to an upholstery shop and have him remove your bolster and repair the seat back. If you have a prairie tan base bottom consider it sold!! Thanks Greg!!

i need the leather to repair a collectors driver seat. The bolster is shot on the back part and the bottom is torn and the base is broken. So, if that bolster is good, i will take to an upholstery shop and have him remove your bolster and repair the seat back. If you have a prairie tan base bottom consider it sold!! Thanks greg!!

pm sent!

You're doing an awesome job Greg!

I am also currently re-doing my '94 interior from saddle to midnight black. I might need some advice from you on the proper way to remove the dash
since I know you can do this in your sleep. :D

-Ren

You're doing an awesome job Greg!

I am also currently re-doing my '94 interior from saddle to midnight black. I might need some advice from you on the proper way to remove the dash
since I know you can do this in your sleep. :D

-Ren

The key to removing the dash completely, is making sure all the connectors are disconnected. Everyone always remove the dash by undoing all the ties that hold the wire harness to the dash, leaving the harness lying on the floor of the car. Like my first dash swap.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=188130&postcount=24
I didn't know what I was doing, I was really winging it back then.I eventually figured it out, but it took me two weeks, and on my back tucking and taping and using zip ties. That method is a pain in the ass.

Without taking out any of the electronics, all you have to do is take out the 10mm bolts on the top of the dash, the two 15mm bolts on the driver's side bottom, the other one on the passenger side, the two 13mm bolts on the center of the dash on the left side, and the two 11mm nuts under EATC unit. This is the only component I would suggest be removed. You can remove the radio as well if you need more access, but that is all that needs to be removed.

Now, you need to disconnect all the connectors holding the wire harness to the dash. Start with the one that will get you the dirty first. Jack up the car, go under by the transmission, and disconnect the to connectors there. You will see the wire loom coming down from the transmission tunnel. They are easy to find.

Now go to the engine compartment. Disconnected the engine wire harness and move it out of the way. This will give you access to the bulkhead connector. Disconnect it and pull it towards you. Then use a flat head screw driver to unclip the tabs holding the other part of the harness will just pull through inside the car. There are three more connectors on the driver's side. One is a 10mm connector, the other two are clip connectors. You have to take out the PCM to get better access to those connectors. Otherwise you'll scratch the hell out of your arm.

On the passenger side, unclip all the connectors just below the the air ride computer. There's like six of them. Now the dash is ready to pull forward. Undo the last connector that hooks the AC system. Pull the transmission wire loom through the hole, and get someone to help and out comes the dash in one piece. :D

Headliner

Headliner done. Nice and simple. $11 worth of fabric from Walmart, and a can of 3m Adhesive spray.
Old Prairie Tan headliner.....
101_0043.jpg

Fabric laid out...
101_0044.jpg

Finished. Ready to go back in the car.
101_0045.jpg

Wow great job greg. Im really enjoying this thread, have an plans to mod this one?

Your a great inspiration for the people trying to revive the marks back to their former glory. Good work so far.

Members online

No members online now.
Back