black/black 97 mark viii

blacklscgirl

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am going to pick up my 97 bob mark today. the car needs some work, but i am getting it for 2000. it is missing but before we even trade any money we are going to change out a coil. after that, do i unplug the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer? but other than that, the car was painted, but someone did a crappy job on it. the interior is good except a few broken parts (the cup holder is completely gone). and a vacuum hose was not put back on when someone changed the blend door. it has all new air ride and it is great shape mechanically.

ill post pics after i get it home and clean it up.

Remove both pos and neg battery cables and touch them together for 10-15 seconds. Should clear all memory.

As long as you have been scouting for one, this one must look decent or you wouldn't be going after it. That miss is unlikely to be a coil, unless you mean a boot. Boot(s) may be cracked and the vacuum also is making it miss.

What's the mileage on it?

The spark plugs have already been changed. It's a dead miss and they had it checked out. We were going to take testing equipment down. But it doesn't look like its going to happen.

You guys should seriously look at the car Laser has for sale. He would not sell a pile to anyone, he is not that kind of guy. You could even get him to buff it up real nice for you before you pick it up :p

Would be a nice road trip to go get her as well.

You guys should seriously look at the car Laser has for sale. He would not sell a pile to anyone, he is not that kind of guy. You could even get him to buff it up real nice for you before you pick it up :p

Would be a nice road trip to go get her as well.

agreed

too far north....not buying a car thats been in the snow.

Lazer's car has been converted to coils and it doesnt have black interior. I know he wouldnt sell a pos for that, but its just not what i am looking for.

I felt the same way about some of the cars I found when I was first starting to look for a Mark myself. "This sounds like a great deal, I can't wait to drive it home!" Trust me, it's not worth getting excited about every car that looks/sounds nice. Stuff happens, deals fall through, "minor issues" can be dealbreakers... there are still plenty of great cars out there, especially in your area. Be glad you don't live up here where the nicest of the nice are still rusty. I ended up buying mine from Florida... still haven't seen it in person yet, haha.

You'll find a good deal. Might take a while, might be tomorrow... but they're out there.

If a black/ack is what you're looking for, my next project car that I may be starting on will be a 97 blk/blk that I will start working on.

buy it i would but i have a red one already

Lazer's car has been converted to coils and it doesnt have black interior. I know he wouldnt sell a pos for that, but its just not what i am looking for.

LOL, it snows a few times a year up here. It is not like they are usually bathed in salt all winter. We are NOT the rust belt.

Snow is not a bad thing. My 95 lived it's whole life in the Midwest with snow and ice but as long as the owner takes care of the car and washes it btween saltings it should be fine once the roads dry up I wash all of our cars and wash the under side real well and have no problems. It's sad to see my 95 get parted because of the lack of rust.

I bought my 98 from Northern Virginia when I lived in Virginia Beach. It is COMPLETELY rust free, still. I wouldn't pass on a car, JUST because it's from Northern VA...

You have champagne taste and a Keystone Light budget. You are being way way way too picky. If you had 4500-5000 cash IN HAND (not on loan from a bank) then you may find a completly flawless second gen black on black.

Since you can not find one within your budget then you need to accept some digs/different color interior/coil converted/AC dont work/blend door needs work/engine has a miss kinda Mark. All Marks under $3500 will have at least one of those issues if not more.

I put the value on my 98 Midnight Grey car at $4300 but thats cause I really wanted the car. It still needed tires, UCAs, sway bar links, new rear bags, new front bag, door ajar issues, pealing steering wheel, broken drives seat switch pannel, broken door handle bezels, cracked intake tube, vac leaks etc etc.

Point is no matter what you buy you will have a porject.

I am not saying mine is the one to get. Yes it runs PERFECT and shifts excellent and drives great but it needs a ballast and is on springs and is graphite inside. It seems like those are things that you just cant live with.

Also I will point out that while I love air ride its not for everyone. Sure your BF knows a thing or two but Air Ride is expensive to properly fix and on a 14 year old car EVERYTHING needs to be replaced. So think about that. Arnott sucks so OEM front bags are $400 each, rear bags are $200 a pair and nobody ever seems to have the $250 compressors in stock. Theres $1250 and thats assuming all the sensors are good.
If you are needing to finance a 14+ year old car then the potential problems eliminated by a coil conversion is prolly in your best interest.

its time to pick it and stick it. and laser's car would be a great place to start.

+1. Great advise! My '93 is on springs and my '98 is on air. They ride almost the same. The big difference is I never have to worry about an airride malfunction. When I was coming home from Jamies (4.5 hour ride), my driver's airbag started to leak at highway speeds. Taking Jamie's advise, I pulled over and switched off the airride so the car wouldn't lower. I made it home. However, if I had the '93, it would never be an issue. If you don't have the cash to fix the airride, go with the springs.

There ya go. Just what you wanted. Even tho, I would knock $500 off, just because the wheels are on backwards... :D

Members online

Back