1st Prototype Pics

BTW, I checked travel and they did send one for a really low Mark, so its going back today and I'm sending them a gutted OEM strut for them to get the "throw"(travel) perfect.

For S & G's I measured the shafts on the Arnott struts, an OEM strut and one of our New Copperheads. The readings are as follows:

Arnott= 16mm
OEM= 16mm
Our Copperheads= a beefy 22mm!

Let me ask this question a different way... What are the characteristics of the shock absorber inside these new struts...? Harder/softer than stock? I'm wondering because I know some people, myself included are after a stiffer shock absorber. Any insight on this? Thanks!

I AGREE. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION. I wouldn't pay a dime unless they were more performance oriented. At least state the goal please.

Guys, these struts are truly prototypes! I have not driven a vehicle with these struts installed. If I had money to bet, I'd say they would ride stiffer just because of the design....but I can't say for sure because again.....I have not driven vehicle with this configuration.

Btw, these ARE NOT a TBird struts!

Sorry but it just would seem the company's engineers or even enthusiast involved could tell you the properties of the shock it is built around ??? Or that you would have asked with a goal in mind to start with ???

Exactly Don, I just kind of thought when the shocks were chosen, they didn't have a big ? on the side of them. They have got to have specs on valving, stating either a more performance or softer ride. I'm not so worried how they ride, we'll get to that later, for now I'm just curious what kind of shock was chosen.

They look great, can't wait to see how they pan out!

You know what Eddie....between you and temples front bumper I'm excited about my mark again! I'm saving now for a pair!!! Let me know about the rears also. I'm hoping this makes the marks closer to the cts-v coupe as far as handling goes.

Also please tell me your gonna leave the finish like this. No paint I wanna show these off!

98linc lmao too! I know visions of grandeur...but I can dream right. Ok ill settle for better than a tbird sc

Exactly Don, I just kind of thought when the shocks were chosen, they didn't have a big ? on the side of them. They have got to have specs on valving, stating either a more performance or softer ride. I'm not so worried how they ride, we'll get to that later, for now I'm just curious what kind of shock was chosen.

I'd really like to hear some info regarding this as well.

Btw, these ARE NOT a TBird struts!

They could be installed on a MN12 though, correct?

Guys,Btw, these ARE NOT a TBird struts!

To date the best applicable struts I've seen are for a T-Bird. I haven't seen anything yet sport oriented for a Mark VIII ?? And that it is what I want. I like most folks here would like it lowered but do not like it bottoming out on normal street obs ruction or feel like its an ocean liner hitting waves. You do not need that to have a good ride. You have to start with a good shock or else it doesn't mater if its the worlds greatest air bag. You seen to be dodging this question. I'm asking because I'm interested but only if its has a modern sports oriented shock in its core. I know adjustables are expensive but I'd beat if you took a poll at least those who would be interested in the lowered ones would also prefer stiffer shocks ???

Yes, these can also be installed on a T-Bird. I was trying to clarify that this unit did not start out as a "off-the-shelf" TBird strut.

Manish, can the cts-v coupe adjust suspension height from a smartphone?

To date the best applicable struts I've seen are for a T-Bird. I haven't seen anything yet sport oriented for a Mark VIII ?? And that it is what I want. I like most folks here would like it lowered but do not like it bottoming out on normal street obs ruction or feel like its an ocean liner hitting waves. You do not need that to have a good ride. You have to start with a good shock or else it doesn't mater if its the worlds greatest air bag. You seen to be dodging this question. I'm asking because I'm interested but only if its has a modern sports oriented shock in its core.

First of all, saying ALL "air springs" ride the same is like saying a stock "coil spring" handles the same as an Eibach. Same with an air spring. The way the air spring manipulates the air is different.....especially from a double convuluted(spelling?) air spring and a rolling lobe(OEM STYLE) air spring.

Remember, the same exact shock will handle a little different when coupled with a different "air spring".

.....and NO....I'm not dodging squat! The shock is the manufactures own shock. AGAIN, if I told the manufacturer I wanted....say a "whatever type" shock....it would rise the price up and out of most peoples budget. Don't be so hung up on a name.

Let the product speak for itself. This is why I wanted an unbiased opinion from someone that drives one of these daily.

.....and NO....I'm not dodging squat! The shock is the manufactures own shock. AGAIN, if I told the manufacturer I wanted....say a "whatever type" shock....it would rise the price up and out of most peoples budget. Don't be so hung up on a name.

Could you relay some info as to the shock valving, manufacturer, etc. then?

Any chances of just the shock with the upper and lower mounts being available at some point? (no bag/valve)

Could you relay some info as to the shock valving, manufacturer, etc. then?

I'm waiting on a spec sheet from the manufacturer.

Any chances of just the shock with the upper and lower mounts being available at some point? (no bag/valve)

The struts are specially built to be used with a specific air spring. What would you do to keep the front end up?

Thanks for the reply. I'm one of the last to be stuck on a name. I'm only interested in its performance. And sorry I do not know any of the test people or there preferences. But I think I now know yours. To make a affordable replacement air spring or strut (same old). Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. I'm one of the last to be stuck on a name. I'm only interested in its performance. And sorry I do not know any of the test people or there preferences. But I think I now know yours. To make a affordable replacement air spring or strut (same old). Good Luck

What would you do.....seeing how there isn't an aftermarket alternative for the Mark VIII? Make a strut that 500-1,000 people will buy over the years.....or a strut that you may sell 40 in a year? All I can go on is what I've heard over the years. There ARE more people by FAR that want a good ride than want a performance ride.

With all that being said, I will at least look into a performance model.

Just the fact that these prototypes exist is awesome. Eddie is spending money to develop parts for a very specialized market. He has to look at what will work for the most people first so he has the potential to recoupe some of the development cost. If he can give some performance while retaining stock usability he is increasing his market to include non-enthusiast customers(probably 99% of the Mark VIII drivers). Personally I am hoping everything goes well with testing and I can can pick up a lowered set to get rid of the soft feeling my OEM bags have.

-Alan

Just the fact that these prototypes exist is awesome. Eddie is spending money to develop parts for a very specialized market. He has to look at what will work for the most people first so he has the potential to recoupe some of the development cost. If he can give some performance while retaining stock usability he is increasing his market to include non-enthusiast customers(probably 99% of the Mark VIII drivers).
-Alan

:I

Thank you for understanding. Is that a warm & fuzzy feeling?.......ooops, nope....just gas!

I'm glad there will be an alternative to going spring ride if the Arnott's give up on my car now. I would prefer a more sport ride over what I have now but I'll take what I can get :rolleyes:

Eddie your kidding right? Care to expound on that cell phone remote feature? And is that android compatible?

Hopefully these increase the cornering ability. Thinking I need to grab front and rear sway bars from a supercoupe. Hey does bill has stock sway bars?

Eddie, was thinking of using a "bare" shock as the base for a adjustable coil over spring..

Eddie your kidding right? Care to expound on that cell phone remote feature? And is that android compatible?

Manish, would I kid you? Of course I would :D ......but not this time anyway. Yes, it'll work with Android, in fact most any Bluetooth enabled unit.

Staff online

Members online

Back