1/4 mile times and kill stories

Dr. Paul said:
Some of these kills seem a bit far-fetched to me considering 99% of Mark VIIIs are 15 second cars.

wells its probably a good thing my mark doesn't run 15's, huh. maybe its because i have it running mid to high 14's, mostly 14.60's and a 5.0 gt's are mostly low 15 second cars stock anyways even with exhaust actually. and my basis for knowing that is i have owned a couple of foxbody 5.0s, so i think the kills aren't to far fetched. peace

Well tonight at the strip was pretty fun.

Density altitude: 7500ft.
Track altitude: 5315ft. ASL

Best ET & trap speed: 16.36 @ 86.8
Altitude corrected to standard atmosphere (sea level, 68*F, 0% humidity, and 0.075 lb/ft³ air density) would be 14.6 @ 96.

Lost to an LS1 Camaro, lost to a modified LT1 Camaro, beat an SHO twice, beat a Dakota R/T, beat a 70 GTO 455 by a tenth.

well My mom raced a GMC jimmy in her Town Car.I wasn't there with her but my brother said that she had a car lenght on him. she probably didn't go over 90 MPH.
Then there was this green civic hatchback, he was turning into the traffic like he was late for some thing. well anyways I got ahead of him somehow and I was on a light and he was right behind me.the light turned green and he turned to the other lane and floored it. My whole family was sitting in the car at that time(5 of us). I conviced my dad to race him and by then he had 3 car lenghts on me by the time I floored it(at about 40 MPH). we got up it 110 mph and by that time I was in his blind spot and still inching ahead in front of him. He braked while I was in his blind spot and I zoomed in front of him and through the hazard lights(i know its a ricey move but I didn't know back then) I slowed down to 60 MPH and then he caught up to me and starts reving his engine. he had a passenger in the front and he was laughing( now I don't know on what but I think he was laughing because he got beat by a Lincoln.) I didn't race him again cause I had my turn coming up. BTW this was in my Continental. I haven't had a race in my Mark VIII except a Cadillac Deville DTS which I lost about 1.5 car lenght but I was an inexpert driver back then (didn't know how to launch the car)and the DTS had a pretty solid launch. DTS are suppose to run 15.2s

The sad part about doing this kinda stuff on the street is you still get the he let off or some other BS excuse. I always get well did they know you were racing?!

I take on anybody @ Raceway Park with my WRX that way they have no excuse when I beat them. I still get oh but I broke loose on the launch as an excuse tho :mad: I can't wait to take my Mark to the track but I need a bit more HP :rolleyes:

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
wells its probably a good thing my mark doesn't run 15's, huh. maybe its because i have it running mid to high 14's, mostly 14.60's

That's still slow.

and a 5.0 gt's are mostly low 15 second cars stock anyways even with exhaust actually. and my basis for knowing that is i have owned a couple of foxbody 5.0s, so i think the kills aren't to far fetched. peace

I've owned seven 5.0s, and none of them ran 15s. Not even with only exhaust and an air filter.

In fact, I'm a member of a local Mustang club, mostly 5.0s, and the average track time for us is 12.13 @ 114.

Meh, doesn't really matter I guess.

Paul.

Dr. Paul said:
That's still slow.

I've owned seven 5.0s, and none of them ran 15s. Not even with only exhaust and an air filter.

In fact, I'm a member of a local Mustang club, mostly 5.0s, and the average track time for us is 12.13 @ 114.

Paul.

dr pauls money obviously makes him right once again.

Dr. Paul said:
That's still slow.

Paul.
Heck of all the stangs I have raced with my WRX I was only beat once by a Vortech blown one when I missed a shift. He only ran a 12.7 too, a lot of those guys just can't drive.

My money doesn't make me one thing or another, I'm simply stating that your claim that most 5.0s are 15 second cars is nonsense.

I would say that a WRX STi or modded WRX would be a challenge for most normal bolt-on 5.0s.

Paul.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
what the f*ck is normal bolt ons to you

Full exhaust, gears, air filter, inlet, MAF, pulleys, shifter, and maybe an intake/throttle body. Standard 5.0 stuff short of blowers/turbo, stroker motors, heads/cam, and so on. Basically, anything you can bolt on without taking the motor apart.

We've got a guy in our club with a full weight 5.0 coupe with a stock motor throttle body to pan that ran 12.97 @ 104. All he's got is full exhaust, gears, shifter, slicks, unhooked swaybar, air inlet stuff, and an airbag in the right rear spring. Completely stock suspension, stock interior, stock heads/cam/intake, valve covers never removed. Car weights 3400 lbs.

Paul.

well cool atleast we have the same idea of normal bolt ons. plus i was talking about stock 5.0s and a few with exhaust being slow. i know when you mod them like that they are fast. i have had a few 5.0s that ran 12's adn a couple that have run 11s. but i am saying my buddy has a stock well was stock 87.5.0 gt auto and that thing would not break into 14.90s for nothing. even with the flowmasters and x pipe on it. personally i still think it needs alot of work. but yeah anyways i am not against 5.0s by anymeans. i mean :q:q:q:q i just bought my wife a 88 lx coupe five oh this weekend for a daily driver.

oh and just to toss this out there. by no means do i think my 14.60 mark is fast. it just runs good soon to runn a hell of alot better. but for now i got my heavly modded lighting for my toy 11 high sec 1/4.

Last weekend at around 2:00. I raced an 02' gt, and beat him by about 3 car lengths from a dig up to about 90. Then we raced from a 30 roll and he got a car length jump on me, but I reeled him in very quickly.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
well cool atleast we have the same idea of normal bolt ons. plus i was talking about stock 5.0s and a few with exhaust being slow. i know when you mod them like that they are fast. i have had a few 5.0s that ran 12's adn a couple that have run 11s. but i am saying my buddy has a stock well was stock 87.5.0 gt auto and that thing would not break into 14.90s for nothing. even with the flowmasters and x pipe on it. personally i still think it needs alot of work. but yeah anyways i am not against 5.0s by anymeans. i mean :q:q:q:q i just bought my wife a 88 lx coupe five oh this weekend for a daily driver.

Since the 87s are speed density, they don't take too well to mods. I would imagine that an 87 GT, stock, with an automatic, could very well be a 15 second car.

Paul.

Have to consider maintenance too. There is always a few beat to crap, high mileage, and neglected 5.0s at our track. Does seem like they are always autos when they're that slow, that AOD can really slow a car down when its near the end of life. I've even seen high 15s.

friend of mine.....88 GT hatch 5 speed.

stock with 128k miles. 14.7@97

vr4 said:
friend of mine.....88 GT hatch 5 speed.

stock with 128k miles. 14.7@97

I would believe that. I had an 88 GT myself once, and it ran 14.9 @ 95 here in Phoenix. The sticks are usually 4-6 tenths quicker than the auto.

Paul.

My friend started running in the 5.0 class using a Small Block Chevy engine in his Stang. He won a lot of races too which pissed a lot of Ford die hards off :D

He now is using a Ford engine as he is sponsored by Ford and he has trapped over 200mph I have been told :eek:

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
my 88 lx 5.0 5sp turned 14.5s stock. i loved that car it turned into a 11 sec monster

Yes, but I suck at driving and Phoenix has crappy air. :p

since there are so many fox or ex-fox owners here, i got a question. Did the 5.0 slows come with all forged internals?

Members online

No members online now.
Back