1/4 mile times and kill stories

87-92 came with forged pistons. 93-up came with hypereutectic pistons. There is nothing tremendously fancy about the bottom ends other than that.

The only reasonably high-production Mustang I know of with all forged internals is the 03/04 Cobra.

Paul.

Actually I believe the forged pistons came in 85 with the roller cam and shorty headers or shortly after. The H.O. blocks high nickel content blocks also, that faded out somewhere around when the forged pistons went away. Thats why they wear so well. My 91 MarkVII has 220k on it and still going strong, don't drive it anymore but I could if I needed to.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Actually I believe the forged pistons came in 85 with the roller cam and shorty headers or shortly after. The H.O. blocks high nickel content blocks also, that faded out somewhere around when the forged pistons went away. Thats why they wear so well. My 91 MarkVII has 220k on it and still going strong, don't drive it anymore but I could if I needed to.

mhm, cuz i hear a lot of people that claim they can slap on a blower and run 12psi no problem all day and night.

Most manufacturers have higher psi applications for the forged block years than say the 94-95 Mustang. Its not that they don't offer a higher psi application for them they just don't list them as much as a stock motor shouldn't run it. 12psi sounds a bit high, but that motor can handle alot. I bet it'd hold together for a little while. I've seen some pretty big hp coming out of those short blocks stock in 5.0 magazine. Even on a small budget you can make them alot stronger with just ARP rod bolts, its the weak spot.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:

Thanks for the info. My knowledge of the 4-eye mustangs is somewhat limited.

I've had two Mark VIIs, both when I was really young. I had a 175 shot of nitrous on my 88 and it worked famously. :D

Dr. Paul said:
Hey, what was your combo?

scat 347 kit
forged speedpro pistons
afr 185 head portmatched to intake
holley systemmax 2 intake
Isky race cam with custom grind
shorty headers
x pipe
2 chamber flows
and a tremec tko 5 speed
i will have to dig up the build sheet for all the specs

MrWilson said:
mhm, cuz i hear a lot of people that claim they can slap on a blower and run 12psi no problem all day and night.

i ran 15psi through a stock bottom end and it lasted.......for a little bit then spilled its self all over the highway.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
scat 347 kit
forged speedpro pistons
afr 185 head portmatched to intake
holley systemmax 2 intake
Isky race cam with custom grind
shorty headers
x pipe
2 chamber flows
and a tremec tko 5 speed
i will have to dig up the build sheet for all the specs

How'd you make that work with Speed Density?

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Conversion kits are readily available.

I'm aware of that.

made it possiable with a frpp conversion kit. it was one of the first mods i did to the car

Ahhh. I heard rumors once that those kits have limitations related to injector size (above 24 lbs or something) that didn't exist in the standard A9L/A9M processors. I find this hard to believe, any truth to it?

Paul.

Dr. Paul said:
I'm aware of that.

Ahhh. I heard rumors once that those kits have limitations related to injector size (above 24 lbs or something) that didn't exist in the standard A9L/A9M processors. I find this hard to believe, any truth to it?

Paul.
Ahh, I got ya.

Dr. Paul said:
I'm aware of that.

Paul.

I had 28 pound injectors i beleive ( i know they were above 24lb, ie back to the build sheet to be sure.) and it ran perfectly fine. one of the last mods i did do was a 73mm C&L mass air flows i bought off of one of my friends for $50 if i wouldn't have gotten it so cheap it would have never been considered. an din my opinion it made no difference in performance

Back in the late 80's to early 90's I worked in a place that did a lot of supercharging of Stangs. They made over a 1000HP out of a 5.0 and it was in a Mustang magazine at the time.

At that time I was a die hard GM guy so I just wrenched on em and didn't bother caring much about em. Now that they are a dime a dozen I wanna pick one up and turbo it. I know how cheap and easy it is to make them stinkin fast now. Plus all the ricer kids don't know squat about some old Mustang LX and how fast it could be :shifty:

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
I had 28 pound injectors i beleive ( i know they were above 24lb, ie back to the build sheet to be sure.) and it ran perfectly fine. one of the last mods i did do was a 73mm C&L mass air flows i bought off of one of my friends for $50 if i wouldn't have gotten it so cheap it would have never been considered. an din my opinion it made no difference in performance

28 lb injectors?

Do you have pics of the setup?

Dr. Paul said:
28 lb injectors?

Do you have pics of the setup?

like i said man i need to dig out the build sheet to be sure on the little things like injector size. cam specs and all that junk. its been a few years since i have had. unfortunaly i don't have any pics. i have never been good at stuff like that. i will go dig out the build sheet today and let you know for sure what size they were.

here you go Dr. Paul the specs
isky race cam - I .544 x E .573
holley systemaxx2 intake portmatched lower
FRPP 30lb injectors
ford EECiv computer with custom tune
total timing was set at 34 degrees
scat 347 kit
speed pro pistons (forged)
Air flow research 185 heads port matched to the intake
11.5:1 compression ratio
1 5/8" shorty headers

dynoed 427hp@5600 and 405lb/ft@4400
11.7 on dragradials was my best run and that was with tire spin

Something that may or may not mean anything to you guys using shorty headers. A friend of mine has a 79' Monza and he had a SBC dyno'd at the upper 400 range. When it was dyno'd they used full length headers.

He then installed the engine and used a set of shorty headers. I told him he was choking the engine by doing this but he didn't listen. So he ran a bunch of 11.9@117MPH. For the cars weight and seeing it is tubbed it should be way into the 10's :confused:

He finally went and had a set of Stall full length headers made for the car. He then went 11.2 but I do not know what MPH he did? So even tho they are a bolt on header is it really worth the HP and TQ they are taking away?

i wanted to use full length on the 88 with the 347 but i already was gettin in to more then i innetially wanted to spend so i just used the headers i already had.
but my 91 5.0 lx and my 98 cobra both had intercooled prochargers on them and i used full length on those. on the 91 i started with shorty headers and switched to full length and it made a huge difference. on the 98 the supercharger went on when i still had the stock manifolds on, then i switched to full length and that was the difference of night and day.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
here you go Dr. Paul the specs
isky race cam - I .544 x E .573
holley systemaxx2 intake portmatched lower
FRPP 30lb injectors
ford EECiv computer with custom tune
total timing was set at 34 degrees
scat 347 kit
speed pro pistons (forged)
Air flow research 185 heads port matched to the intake
11.5:1 compression ratio
1 5/8" shorty headers

dynoed 427hp@5600 and 405lb/ft@4400
11.7 on dragradials was my best run and that was with tire spin

What was the duration, lobe seperation, and intake centerline of the camshaft?

That was flywheel horsepower, right? There's no way that combo put down that much power at the wheels.

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
on the 98 the supercharger went on when i still had the stock manifolds on, then i switched to full length and that was the difference of night and day.
Yeah I have had full lengths on pretty much every vehicle I have owned almost. Even on my WRX I put on a Quicktime Performance equal length tuned header.

There are lots of arguments that headers loose heat on a turbo car and are anti performance. However I have noticed when you are before boost the car is so much more drivable and when it comes into boost then HOLD ON!!

I am a full on believer on equal length tuned headers :D

Dr. Paul said:
What was the duration, lobe seperation, and intake centerline of the camshaft?

That was flywheel horsepower, right? There's no way that combo put down that much power at the wheels.

that was flywheel horse. i wish that would have been rearwheel it would have been insane.
give me a minute and i will get the rest of the cam specs.

heres the rest of the cam specs
its a isky race cam RR-284/294 HYD my supercharged 91 had the custom grind in it
duration is 284/294
@.050" 238/248
lobe center is 110 degrees.
thats all the cam specs.
it sure was lopey as hell, and sounded like a war from hell. (2 chamber flows dumped to the ground out of the mufflers. LLLOOOOUUUDDDDD

i had a 91 coupe with a 408 small block in it and it wasn't even that lopey. I bought it that way so i really can't awnser much on it except for it was stupid fast. alot faster then the 347. both were equally streetable though. to some point

Members online

Back