1/4 mile times and kill stories

111mph in a basically stock Mark VIII? Timing equipment error for sure...

Cbecker1994Vlll said:
don't really care about budget on the stroker kit. i just want a good one. i already got the AFR heads torker 2 intake and a 750 demon carb. its going in a 89 mustang coupe it will be mostly drag strip and very rare street use

Torker 2 is a dual plane intake, yes? I'd recommend single plane. A Super Victor would work nicely.

What size AFR heads? 165, 185, 205, 225?

If you don't care about the budget...

World Products Man o' War block - 4.155" bore x 4.000" stroke = 434 ci
Good forged 4340 nitrided crank, maybe an Oliver
6.200" rods - Oliver are my favorite, pick your poison
Custom pistons - if this is drag-only, what fuel? Bump the compression to ~12.5:1 or so if you're not driving on the street
Custom camshaft - either Ed Curtis (FTI) or Cammotion. I've had good luck with them. Probably nice solid roller somewhere in the 260-270 duration @.050. Narrow LSA would probably make a nice rev-happy cam.
750 carb could be on the small side for a drag-race 434.
Probably some Kooks or Hooker Super Comp longtubes. 1.75" primaries stepped to a 1 7/8", then 3" collectors.
Requisite nice valvetrain.

...and so on and so forth.

If you put 302 parts on a Windsor stroker, you make 302 power.

Paul.

Edelbrock's Torker II is a single-plane, low-rise design that provides you with top-end horsepower without affecting the mid-range. What Edelbrock did was increase the plenum volume and alter the short-side radius of the runners, to give the air/fuel charge a straight shot at the intake valves. That straight shot produces a potent power build from 2,500 to 6,500 rpm. It's a much better street / strip intake than a Super Victor - the 3500 - 8500 RPM range makes that not so good on the street but GREAT on the track.

Just keep in mind as cubes go up, the rpm ranges of intakes and cams go down. If your'e only going to spin it to 6000 RPM or less I'd say Torker II, if you're going more than that I'd say Super Victor.

:)

The Professor said:
Edelbrock's Torker II is a single-plane, low-rise design that provides you with top-end horsepower without affecting the mid-range. What Edelbrock did was increase the plenum volume and alter the short-side radius of the runners, to give the air/fuel charge a straight shot at the intake valves. That straight shot produces a potent power build from 2,500 to 6,500 rpm. It's a much better street / strip intake than a Super Victor - the 3500 - 8500 RPM range makes that not so good on the street but GREAT on the track.

Just keep in mind as cubes go up, the rpm ranges of intakes and cams go down. If your'e only going to spin it to 6000 RPM or less I'd say Torker II, if you're going more than that I'd say Super Victor.

:)

Good to have you aboard, Professor. :D

My old 95 with ~ 350rwhp run 12.9 and trapped 108mph and that was with some tire spin.

I'd like to go to that track you guys go ... LOL

m_maker said:
My old 95 with ~ 350rwhp run 12.9 and trapped 108mph and that was with some tire spin.

sure....I go here:

http://napiervilledragway.com/

And here:

http://www.sanairracing.com/

I dunno what to tell you, but this is two nights, weeks apart, now that I have run those times and traps....I photographed my timeslips.....I dunno what else I have left to prove to some of the doubting Thomas's of this board.

m_maker said:

Well, mine was in a mustang. 12.88 @ 111 mph. Only 347 rwhp, but 442 ft. lbs. of torque. :D Hooray for huge strokers. :D

Paul.

i had already had the torker2 lying around our shop, but i am not above upgrading to a victor series. just as long as it turns out high 500 horse when its done

67Continental said:
I dunno what to tell you, but this is two nights, weeks apart, now that I have run those times and traps....I photographed my timeslips.....I dunno what else I have left to prove to some of the doubting Thomas's of this board.

I don't consider myself a doubting Thomas, but truly just want to know how someone has a mid 14 second run with 100+ mph trap speed and my car barely traps 100+ mph running mid-upper 13s. I admit most times I believe my mph is on the low side, but others I know who run near the same ETs still only trap 101-103 mph at best.

Is it tire spin? Cause I have none. Since I've been dragracing the Mark VIII, whenever I started having traction issues, I took steps to eliminate any tire spin. Anytime I've had traction problems, my times were inconsistent.

JP i'm with you on this one... I don't know how it's possible to run those MPH and run high 14's but hey it might have happend, who knows, anything is possible I guess but in general any car trapping 100mph should be running at least low 14's on a bad run.

driller said:
I don't consider myself a doubting Thomas, but truly just want to know how someone has a mid 14 second run with 100+ mph trap speed and my car barely traps 100+ mph running mid-upper 13s. I admit most times I believe my mph is on the low side, but others I know who run near the same ETs still only trap 101-103 mph at best.

Is it tire spin? Cause I have none. Since I've been dragracing the Mark VIII, whenever I started having traction issues, I took steps to eliminate any tire spin. Anytime I've had traction problems, my times were inconsistent.

I would invite you up to run at the track with me, but Canada is probably a bit far for you - I am so lonely up here with my Lincoln!

Trap speed and ET are not tied at the hip. I have seen a Z06, the new one, driver couldn't launch, he ran a range of 11.7 to 13.5 - and trapped 120 mph every time.....It was his terrible launch that ruined his times, sometimes he would just float out from the starting block.

My car consistently traps between 100 and 102 now....

I looking at my slips from the other night and its only the first three runs wherein the 100s.the other 6 were in themid 90's.
and believe me wheni read them i was skeptical also. i have been running at drag srtips since i have been 16 and i know those don't sound right and frankly i dont beleive they are right. but i know my times are pretty wellright on to what my beltronics performance meter tellsme.

I mean hell my lighting runs 11.85 @115 so i know the mark isn't running 111traps
i am just trying to clarify i don't think my mark traps 100s like i said th erest of the nights runs were in th emid 90s

A guy here in Phoenix ran a 12.97 @ only 104 mph, so 110+ trap speeds aren't very likely. Alas, I think we've beat the horse to death... twice.

Paul.

I don't know if Lightnings and Z06s are comparable. But I do know Mark VIIIs and 'typical' times and corresponding trap speeds.

It appears tire spin must be the variable but there must be other factors as well. There are fast and slow tracks as well. I've been told many times the one track I typically run is consistently slower than other area tracks. Most anyone that is familar with running at a certain track will be able to tell you how much slower or faster one is over another. Maybe it's the timing equipment as well.

Sorry for the interuption, you can go back and talk about strokers and stangs now. :p

Think of it like a turbo car, they don't necessarily come out of the hole very well but they make up ground on the topend and get mph/et combinations like 10.4 @ 141. 10.4 is normally in the 122 range and 141 is the high 9's. You're picking up mph that is consistent with a normal 13.8X pass, with a little finese - and some gears I'd reckon - you'd be there :)

Members online

Back