car feels like it bounces to one side after going over small bumps/potholes/etc

LowLincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My car seems to float/bounce to the side a little after going over small road bumps, potholes and even thick road markings. Would worn rear shocks do this? I'd imagine it doesn't help having heavy Bullitt wheels that exaggerate the problem. The car feels like it does this only after the rear wheels go over the bumps. So far I don't hear any clunking sounds from the back so I hope nothing is "broken".

Opinions?
edit: I am still on factory air bags

When I had the 19's on the back end would jerk around like that too. I haven't noticed it since I switched.

I guess I'll have to check to see if there's play, particularly on the rear/passenger side. If I go over bumps no the driver side, the car doesn't really "jump".

Get behind it and press down on the trunk lid to see if both sides have a good shock. That should answer your shock question. If both sides go down like the shocks should be allowing and coming back up evenly, it's not them doing it.

Tow compensators are bad, mine did the same thing. Little dog bones on the front side of the rear lower inner control arm bushing for the rear end.

Couple of picks.
Check the shocks too but my guess is these little guys are bad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Along with everything else already mentioned, while you have the car up in the air, check for play at the inner upper control arm bushing. Those tend to deteriorate as well.

Tow compensators are bad, mine did the same thing. Little dog bones on the front side of the rear lower inner control arm bushing for the rear end.

Thanks for posting that.I went out and ordered a set of these from oreillys today.They have to order them and will be a week to get them.Moog parts for 35 a side.not too bad a price.Look at the pictures at the store because they do not call them tow compensators.Thanks again,I would have never thought of those.

Couple of picks.
Check the shocks too but my guess is these little guys are bad.

Thanks friend! They look like a bear to replace though. I guess I'll have to do them when I do the shocks

Along with everything else already mentioned, while you have the car up in the air, check for play at the inner upper control arm bushing. Those tend to deteriorate as well.

I will certainly do that.

Just my two cents, my '97 did exactly the same thing until I replaced the rear shocks. Cured the problem. Not saying that's your issue. But that's what fixed mine.

I need to change my shocks anyway so I might as well change it all!

Thanks friend! They look like a bear to replace though. I guess I'll have to do them when I do the shocks

I will certainly do that.

I need to change my shocks anyway so I might as well change it all!

They really aren't that bad at all to change.

Thanks for posting that.I went out and ordered a set of these from oreillys today.They have to order them and will be a week to get them.Moog parts for 35 a side.not too bad a price.Look at the pictures at the store because they do not call them tow compensators.Thanks again,I would have never thought of those.

That would be a great price, I just checked their site and they are more than double that.
Make sure they are getting you the right part.

image.jpg

They are cheaper on Rock Auto.
This make me wonder if someday the compensator will be a rare part, and pick up 2 while they are still available.

One big bolt, one smaller bolt... Out she comes. Put the new one in and line up the holes.
Don't pull the big bolt that goes through the lower control arm all the way out, just enough to get the tow compensator out.

That nut on the lower control arm is something like 41mm, so make sure you have a large enough wrench or crescent wrench.

This was just as informative to me as it was to Jason. I have the same EXACT problem & didn't know what it could be. Going to wait until after the holidays to check that out. If that doesn't work then rear shocks are in order.

You're likely to get to yours before I do mine so let me know how it turns out, senor Alex.

Don't have any problems with mine that I know of, but since you guy's are talking about them....might as well check mine out too. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back