Lincoln LS getting terrible mileage

LincolnLS_2013

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey there, wondering if my mileage is normal. I recently picked up a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 53,400 miles on odometer. I'm getting some 10mpg right now in winter driving, or about 160 miles per tank.

Should I be concerned?

Hey there, wondering if my mileage is normal. I recently picked up a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 53,400 miles on odometer. I'm getting some 10mpg right now in winter driving, or about 160 miles per tank.

Should I be concerned?

It's a good bet that you need to replace all your COPs (ignition coils) and spark plugs. I'd do that (which is a common problem) before messing with the O2 sensors (rare problem). Also, make sure you are using 91+ octane gas (required) as that makes a difference on the gas mileage. Don't idle the engine to warm it up, just get in start it and drive off.

Welcome to the site. Here's some instructions for the steps joe is talking about.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Coil-Replacement/
The plugs are located directly under each coil.

The process if it's your first time will take about 2-3 hours, but you CAN do it yourself (I did it with one arm, you can do it with two) with minimal tools. You'll need a 7mm open-ended wrench, a 1/4" socket wrench w/ 7mm socket, a 3/8" socket wrench with an assortment of extensions, and a 5/8" spark plug socket. You'll also need a small tube of di-electric grease. BONUS equipment: a telescoping magnetic dropped-screw retriever and three craft beers.

I just clued in! Right on, +1 on getting it done single handed. No more excuses for others!

You live in Ottawa.. Do you frequent in stop-and-go traffic?

Using 87 octane w/ Ethanol?
Using winter tires?
I know it's cold up there!
Change spark plugs and coils.
Change air filter.
Check tire pressure.
Fuel filter wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

1. No dashboard warning lights are on;

2. Replaced air filter and 8 spark plugs recently, no change. Was supposed to replace fuel filter too, but dude at parts surce sold me the wrong one, haven't gone back to mechanic yet since getting the correct one;

3. I use 91 octane;

4. I know it's winter and snow, but I was getting the same mileage in the summer. Maybe I idle a bit now to keep the car warm, but small difference. I'm still coming up short some 50 to 100 miles per tank;

5. Will take a look into replacing the coils, thanks for the suggestion;

6. I'm rarely in stop-and-go. The car is counting 11.8mpg, but I'm getting much less than that in terms of tank duration. Had to do some extra driving the last week or so, and spent $160 in 10 days on gas (which would work out to $500/month). In my previous car I was spending $40/week. I can't maintain these levels of consumption :D

new spark plugs won't improve anything if the coils are bad. Go ahead and have the fuel filter replaced with the right part (i.e. let the shop order it, or remove your existing filter and bring it with you to the parts store to compare). Bad coils can ruin plugs so I'd do both at this point seeing as how the extra 8 plugs is basically $30

2. Replaced air filter and 8 spark plugs recently, no change. Was supposed to replace fuel filter too, but dude at parts surce sold me the wrong one, haven't gone back to mechanic yet since getting the correct one;

Really should have changed the COPs (coils) when you changed the spark plugs.

Was there any oil in the plug wells?

I'm getting about 11mpg right now in the winter, but I don't drive very far daily. (about 2-5 miles a day, all in town)

I also think I have coils going bad and have an appointment later this week to get checked out.

I changed the fuel filter a couple weeks ago... If I can do it, anyone can ;)

If you have a coil or two bad, change them all. The others will go out too.

I'm still under warranty... Believe me, If they call and say I have 1 or 2 bad I'll try talking them into doing them all. But I wont hold my breath.

... is counting 11.8mpg ...

On the Queensway from Bank street, all the way out to the sticks West,
after I had my new exhaust added, the LS can do this at 2200RPM on cruise.
(no traffic)

100_4229.jpg

If the fuel filter is old and clogged how would it get more fuel through in order to produce 11.8mpg ?

More like running too lean, misfiring or hand brake is on.
icon4.gif

100_4229.jpg

My mileage went from 16 or 17 mph to 19 when I changed my COPs. Only one of them was going, so it would seem reasonable that multiple failing would cause more degradation.

Oops....stupid smart (dumb) phone

Fixed it for you.:p

Ever since I had the Magnaflow catback installed. My gas mileage had drop to 13/14mpg. before the new exhaust, I was getting 18/19mpg.:confused:

I'd start with coils and fuel filter like everyone said. If theat doesn't work look into replacing the O2 sensors.

Really should have changed the COPs (coils) when you changed the spark plugs.

Damn, now I know.

Was there any oil in the plug wells?

No idea. I didn't ask, and mechanic didn't mention anything.

new spark plugs won't improve anything if the coils are bad. Go ahead and have the fuel filter replaced with the right part (i.e. let the shop order it, or remove your existing filter and bring it with you to the parts store to compare). Bad coils can ruin plugs so I'd do both at this point seeing as how the extra 8 plugs is basically $30

Damn, spark plugs cost me some $15/ea (I got the iridium or platinum, can't remember), so $120 + $110 for install. Pricey to replace again, had them changed 3 months ago. If it's only been 3 months, you think I still should?

I changed the fuel filter a couple weeks ago... If I can do it, anyone can ;)

You changed the fuel filter yourself? If so, where's it located in the LS?

If you have a coil or two bad, change them all. The others will go out too.

Yeah, planning to replace them all.

On the Queensway from Bank street, all the way out to the sticks West, after I had my new exhaust added, the LS can do this at 2200RPM on cruise. (no traffic)

Driving on the highway from Ottawa to Toronto, I was also getting 27mpg. But city driving I'm lucky to get 11-12mpg.

...or hand brake is on.

LOL definitely not. I use hand break when I park so I always disengage before leaving.

... city driving I'm lucky to get 11-12mpg.

Next time I'm out and about the city, I'll switch my read-out to mpg and have a look, see where it's at these days.

I only get good results like that when I'm on the highway with the cruise on driving like a grandpa.

BTW: LincolnLS_2013,
yours wouldn't by chance be dark grey in color that I've seen around a few times ?

Damn, spark plugs cost me some $15/ea (I got the iridium or platinum, can't remember), so $120 + $110 for install. Pricey to replace again, had them changed 3 months ago. If it's only been 3 months, you think I still should?

Nothing says you have to use the same over-priced, over-hyped plugs. Motorcraft platinums are $4.99 each at Advance Auto. Add 8 to cart online and apply promo code A124 for $10 off $30. (that's around $30 for 8 OEM plugs). Sometimes, OEM is just what the Dr ordered.

Members online

No members online now.
Back