who mpg's high as mine (not really asking)

just what I was told when they did the oil change...maybe mine's special....but they said it was gonna need 7 quarts....or else they wouldn't of came to me in the waiting room saying "um...you wouldn't happen to have another quart on hand" and I'm like "check the trunk"

Mph

I get about 25.5-26.5 from San Antonio to Houston trips going 70-80 mph (LS V8). Funny thing at that time I had 1 COP that was out or going bad. City driving is another story, I get anywhere from 16.5-21 mph (mixed suburban commuting conditions).

New here, first post. Drove my '03 V8 home yesterday - 130 miles of back roads @63mph on the cruise. A couple small towns to go thru on the way. When I rolled into town display said 28.1 and dropped to 28.0 by the time I got to my house. I'll caculate actual next time I fill up and compare to displayed.

Aren't all roads in the UP back roads? lol.

I drove the entire UP in the middle of the night a couple years ago, on my way to Rothbury. A whole lot of nothin.

Oh and Welcome to LVC! :Beer

I drove the entire UP in the middle of the night a couple years ago, on my way to Rothbury. A whole lot of nothin.

That's funny, but I live right on the Wisconsin border and yesterday's drive was from central Wisconsin. Thanks for the welcome :Beer

I do a lot of roadtrips in this car and I'm happy with the MPG. Typically I'm about 25.5mpg. The day I bought it and drove it back on the 3 hour roadtrip it got 27.9mpg. I don't know what was different about that day, but I refueled it when I got back and checked it by hand. That number said 28.0 exactly. Regardless, I've NEVER been able to squeeze 28.0 again. Recently I did 26.7mpg from Lincoln, NE to Wichita, KS.

The only thing I notice is that the gas mileage is really flakey sometimes. For example, that roadtrip from KS to NE the other way, I got 23.9 mpg. I make a mental effort to check it by hand each time I refuel, typically the computer is within 0.3 mpg - impressive considering the last car I owned was sometimes off by 2 miles.

It should be noted I recently fried 2 coils and ended up having the entire ignition system replaced. No roadtrips since then, but my mpg around the city increased 1.5 mpg. I'm not really expecting my highway mileage to increase any though.

Can't forget the big a$$ towns like Escanaba and so forth.. :lol:

In town here, some of the roads should just be replaced with gravel. There is one road that has a hole every foot or so.. What a crappy town.. :D

Hey Yoopers---
Is that Escanaba in da moonlight?

On another note, the best I ever got was 26.1 on a trip from Chicago to Detroit. I have a plug at present that needs attention, and I'm getting 14+ in mixed city driving.
KS

Yess.. Yes it is.. :D
The town was sooo big they even made a movie about it.. :lol:
The movie is funny as sh!t.. 'I think my chevy took a sh!t'.. Priceless..

if im doing 60 which i never am i get around 26. 70mph drops it to like 23. 80 mph like 20. i do have 2 fairly new cats in there and i also just got my wheels aligned and that really helped my mpg's out. i made a post like a month ago about my low mpg wheel alignment fixed that issue.

Here's mine from when I bought the car til now :steering
black=mpg from last tank
pink=running average

gas.gif

I'm averaging around 21-23 right now with combined driving. City only I get 13-16.

The best I've ever got on a highway trip was 31 mpg. This was at 55 mph with the cruise control on in the right lane getting smoked by everything from big rigs to school buses. It was also a lot more downhill than uphill. I was able to do 26 the same way on the return trip, so an average of 28.5 is perfectly acceptable to me. I can duplicate these results but like Sammy Hagar, I can't drive 55.

Average real life... 17 city, 25 highway. My daily commute to work is about half of both with some stop and go thrown in and I do about 20 overall.

I get about 16. But my SPG's are way up there. :D

And I thought he might have had Saab's. I had two Saab 900 SPG's and they were "way up there".....upper 20's and capable of 30+ while dispatching 5.0 Mustangs and for top end.....

spgindrive.jpg

1985saab900spgmonvalley.jpg

With the LS I'm currently at 20.5 on inner city freeways (at 75-80). Since I don't use the 5w-20 'watery' oil that Ford does, and have wider tires and 65K+ mi, I figured a little lower mileage was expected. I do recall a 25+ figure back when it had that weak oil and stock tires.

I get 18-19mpg. Running around town. I am happy with that. I have a led foot.:rolleyes:

I have taken a few trips with the LS(Chicago, Indy, Nashville). I got 24mpg at 75mph. That was on cheap gas 89 octane.

New here, first post. Drove my '03 V8 home yesterday - 130 miles of back roads @63mph on the cruise. A couple small towns to go thru on the way. When I rolled into town display said 28.1 and dropped to 28.0 by the time I got to my house. I'll calculate actual next time I fill up and compare to displayed.

So after a couple days driving around town and then a short trip to mom's on Mother's Day, I filled up Sunday. Display showed 24.7 but calculated was 23.7. Kinda surprised there was that much difference, but pretty happy with 23.7 overall.

The best I've ever got on a highway trip was 31 mpg. This was at 55 mph with the cruise control on in the right lane getting smoked by everything from big rigs to school buses. It was also a lot more downhill than uphill. I was able to do 26 the same way on the return trip, so an average of 28.5 is perfectly acceptable to me. I can duplicate these results but like Sammy Hagar, I can't drive 55.

Average real life... 17 city, 25 highway. My daily commute to work is about half of both with some stop and go thrown in and I do about 20 overall.

Yes I have found, at least my LS - is most fuel efficient running @ around 55mph. But that is entirely too slow for freeways.

With the 20's and wide tires, I probably get 13-15 mpg! I can literally see the DTE meter move every 1/4 mile instead of every mile. I work 30 miles from home, 60 miles round trip and I fill up every 4 days just about. I am in DC traffic so I'm sure that's the main reason. Premium fill up is $55 at 3.15 per gal!

Yes I have found, at least my LS - is most fuel efficient running @ around 55mph. But that is entirely too slow for freeways.

That's to slow for anything.. Even in town.. :D

What is the best oil to run for both lubrication and freeingup mpgs?

I run Royal Purple and I believe that this oil frees up MPGs and seems like the rotational friction is decreased.. This may just be me.. There is this debate in the BEST OIL fourm.. You could also try searching.

are you using the onboard computer readout to calculate your MPG?

this may not be accurate, since the computer makes assumptions that may not be true.

mythbusters demonstrated this in an episode where they tried to prove that using the A/C uses more gas (which we knew to be true). the onboard computer returned results that were not consistent, so, they ended up directly measuring the amount of fuel being consumed through one of their 'homemade' devices.

something to think about...

but from my own perspective, my 2004 v8 uses the same amount of fuel as my 2002 v6 (based on frequency to the pump; granted not exactly scientific). this is not surprising since, apparently, the gen2 v8 is more fuel efficient.

Members online

Back