what tire gives the softest ride for our cars

jona571

Banned
Reaction score
I want to buy a tire that will give me a good soft ride,Im tired of feeling every bump in the road,my mustang had the bf goodrich TA"s and they gave a great ride so what do you guys think??

A round one works well... :D

I think a lot of it depends on the speed rating, profile, and air pressure. I'd just run a good BFG in 225/60r16

I have to agree with Dan. I have Michelin Primacy Z rated on my '98. The ride is firm and quiet(the car is still on air.) I have Goodyear Viva II on my '93 (on springs.) They are just regular passenger tires. They have a much softer ride. Perhaps they have a weaker sidewall? I just drove the car from Ft. Lauderdale to New Jersey and back and the ride was great even with all the potholes in NJ.

I have put BF Goodrich Touring on both of my Marks. 70,000 mile tire and they ride very good. I had the hammer on weights removed and static weights installed since these pics and that made a huge difference. 31.5 psi in the front and 30.5 psi in the rear.

NewTires006.jpg

NewTires002.jpg

NewTires003.jpg

Glad I bought new corner lenses lol. That one on the 2nd pic was holding some crud inside. I think this was last May.

On a stock size the best riding tire I had was a Falken 512. I had the Michelin MXV4 (?) and they were nice but not as soft. Before that I had General UHPs and they were smooth but kinda loud in that size. Before that I had Goodyear ..... some rain tread tire. They didnt ride so great but had excellent traction. Also had BFG Touring which were ok but kinda loud and traction sucked.

I use michelin mxv4 primacy's. Pretty decent all around other than sucking azz in snow.

The Mark VIII calls for either a H or Z rated tire. That being said the higher the alpha on speed rating the softer the tire compound, and a H rated tire will be a harder compound. So if you want softer ride, then go with a Z rated tire. Only problem with most Z rated tires, is you give up mileage ratings as they tend to wear faster especially in a high heat situation or climate and most commonly the weight ratio per tire as the Mark is not light.

I run the Falken 512's which I just bought a couple of weeks ago. I have owed them in the past, they wear great and are not too hard being a H Rated tire. Before this set I had the BFG's Touring, they are harder in my opinion, and dry rot too fast.

The Mark VIII calls for either a H or Z rated tire. That being said the higher the alpha on speed rating the softer the tire compound, and a H rated tire will be a harder compound. So if you want softer ride, then go with a Z rated tire. Only problem with most Z rated tires, is you give up mileage ratings as they tend to wear faster especially in a high heat situation or climate and most commonly the weight ratio per tire as the Mark is not light.

I run the Falken 512's which I just bought a couple of weeks ago. I have owed them in the past, they wear great and are not too hard being a H Rated tire. Before this set I had the BFG's Touring, they are harder in my opinion, and dry rot too fast.
Thats only partially true. A higher speed rated tire will not ride softer due to a softer rubber compound because the tires belts have less flex and usually the sidewall is also stiffer to keep the tire from deforming at high speeds.

Some here in the reviews mention noise but I hear no noise from mine. I think it might depend on what type of car they are on such as one that doesn't have much sound deadening installed or w/e and I don't have any traction issues either. The tires pictured above came off the 94, except for one of them and they had around 15K and still don't look worn and dry rot... not one sign of it. The T/A Pro Series is what I have and they were bought at Sams. I think they are the only place where they can be bought and if there is a normal BFG touring, I can't comment on those.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/BF_Goodrich_Touring_T_A_TR4_Passenger_Performance_Tire

I had Michelins once before and I couldn't go anywhere without one catching a nail or something and going flat. They were the X-ONE series and they sucked. Not sure what was on the 95 when I bought it from Jamie but damn, they made the car feel like a meat wagon compared to what I have on there now. Seems like they were 245/55/16 and had no kinda traction to them at all. I just don't remember the name of them. I'm not arguing with anyone on here or getting into a tire debate. Just saying that I am more than happy with what I have. Price was very good, ratings were good and so far, even since they have been on the 95, not one problem out of them.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/touring-t-a-pro-series-t-tires

Like some have mentioned, I think it has a lot to do with size, inflation, car type and how hard or easy you drive your car.

Thats only partially true. A higher speed rated tire will not ride softer due to a softer rubber compound because the tires belts have less flex and usually the sidewall is also stiffer to keep the tire from deforming at high speeds.

That be true Corporal, the sidewall inserts resist deflection for more control in high-speed cornering and acceleration control, but tires today are made with Kevlar and nylon sheet technology. Which allows for less steel belts and less tire expansion at high speed. So with this technology in both forms produces a less abrupt ride and a more comfort feel without losing the performance status of that of a Z or ZR rating. Another option is a Vor VR rated tire.

Some here in the reviews mention noise but I hear no noise from mine. I think it might depend on what type of car they are on such as one that doesn't have much sound deadening installed or w/e and I don't have any traction issues either. Like some have mentioned, I think it has a lot to do with size, inflation, car type and how hard or easy you drive your car.

The noise level or howl as they call it is all due to the type of lug block pattern. The closer the lug design with built in tread sipping will produce a much more quiet tire experience. But if there is a large void between lug block design, then you will experience a howling noise at speed and is increased with higher speeds.

The noise level or howl as they call it is all due to the type of lug block pattern. The closer the lug design with built in tread sipping will produce a much more quiet tire experience. But if there is a large void between lug block design, then you will experience a howling noise at speed and is increased with higher speeds.

yep. thats why big, knobby truck tires are so loud.

I can agree with that also because I worked for Michelin Retread Technologies for 7 years but that was for tractor trailer tires and we had all different types of tread. Trailer tires were quiet where the drive tires were not because of the lug pattern. All I know is that I don't hear noise from my tires inside the car, other than the normal hwy whisper sound. City driving, zero noise.

yep. thats why big, knobby truck tires are so loud.

Exactly, the larger the void, the more air is allowed throughout the tire pattern to create a "wind tunnel" which in turn creates noise. If you also notice that a Super Swamper has several tires in the Bias and Radial for the same model tire. The only difference between the Bias and Radial model is for one Steel belts, from anywhere from a 4 ply to a 8 ply, and two with a radial they have included lug tread sipping, which allows for expansion of the lug and wet weather adhesion, the lug design pattern is the same, same large voids, but by adding the lug sipping, it quiets the tires considerably.

I can agree with that also because I worked for Michelin Retread Technologies for 7 years but that was for tractor trailer tires and we had all different types of tread. Trailer tires were quiet where the drive tires were not because of the lug pattern. All I know is that I don't hear noise from my tires inside the car, other than the normal hwy whisper sound. City driving, zero noise.

Trailer tires are built with heavy loads in mind. Manufactures put all their efforts into the sidewalls. A trailer tire is manufactured with heat dissipation in mind, trying to keep the tire as cool as possible. And with less worry in tread design. That is why the rubber compound is so hard and you see so much tread on the highway from separation, less give and take in a trailer tire. Tandum and Semi trailers take a beating when taking turns from heavy loads and tire rollover while making a turn or backing up and turning, especially the inside tires of the turn. And most of all flat spotting from braking abruptly or trailer brakes not adjusted correctly.

A performance tire is much softer and has both sidewall construction and center section technology at its best. A performance tire is created to allow heat into the tire so that it will get even softer and more sticky, for better traction.

I just got the Michelin Primacy MVX4 P225/60R16 tires today, and they are AMAZING!!! They have great traction and nimble handling. They offer a great ride and are very quiet.

Hell, most people do not even know by reading a tire size what it truly means.

For instance a 255/40/16

255 represents tire width at 255mm's
40 represents that the sidewall height from the rim lip to top of tire tread is 40% of the tread width.
16 of course is the rim diameter

Illustration:
780px-Tire_code_-_en_svg.jpg

780px-Tire_code_-_en_svg.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back