What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Getting my 98 CE back today. Bought it with a hard pull upon braking and annoying 'clunking' in the rear. Family mechanic who has worked on all our cars for close to 20 years was admittedly perplexed at first due to only working on one other such vehicle.

So he says he replaced the soft brake lines and calipers plus a good flush. He says it doesn't pull to the right like it did. And replaced 1 rear shock bracket to get rid of the clunk.

400 bucks later and I hope I don't have to put more money into it for a little while since I just bought it 2
months ago.

Next up will be to fix the heater core which I have heard is a bitch! Anyone have a ballpark figure for this repair?

So, 2 calipers, 2 hoses, 1 shock bushing kit =$400.. man some of you guys pay out the nose for labor

Heater Core = $32 part, $455 labor

Why do you wanna replace the heater core?

The pull is usually strut rod bushings, but if its fixed its fixed. Edit: Or lower bj's. ;)

Did he replace both mounts? I would hope so, no sense replacing just one side.

And I mentioned those things since I did some research on this forum prior to taking the car in, but he said it wasn't those issues - we'll see. He didn't seem thrilled when I mentioned this forum as a resource I'm using! LOL

He said he had to get mounts from dealer at 70 bucks a pop so I only told him to change the problematic one. I'll change out the other one in a month or two. Thanks for the response!

So, 2 calipers, 2 hoses, 1 shock bushing kit =$400.. man some of you guys pay out the nose for labor

Heater Core = $32 part, $455 labor

Why do you wanna replace the heater core?

Yea my wife isn't too thrilled with the expense. So much for a 'family' discount.

The previous owner had the core fail and only bypassed it, me being anal about my vehicles will get it fixed as soon as money allows. Thanks for the response and idea on pricing, appreciate it.

The pull is usually strut rod bushings, but if its fixed its fixed. Edit: Or lower bj's. ;)

Did he replace both mounts? I would hope so, no sense replacing just one side.

lower ball joints. i destroyed my SRBs (cobra brakes collapsed them) and it didn't pull to one side.
but every bad ball joint i have had, which has been way too many, has pulled to one side.

fess up Mike! let's see it!
he did say he was looking for another one. prolly a gen 2. unless webvette got him back in a gen 1. lol.

Oh he got one. I spy.

And mike in a gen1?? Something about hell and freezing over. That's what he said.

In fact I think he said he'd rather push a Chevy than drive a gen 1. Lol.

Well...before I parked it a couple weeks ago. I was hearing a squeak upon braking and a slight pull to the left. Thought it was the lower BJ since they have just over 200k on them. Now I'm convinced that's what they are!
Since I have to take dam near everything off to get to the LCA's I thought I would change the SRB's also. FWD SRB spacers are in the makin's now! Thank's to DLF's and slowmkviii threads and chris2523's help with the part numbers.
Don't want to do this twice in a lifetime!
Pic's to come!

Chris I was waiting for your reply before I posted after selling the last mark yes I bought Stacks CE its not as clean as the last one but thats what the plan was. It is a really strong runner with a straight body the rust has been fixed already so now its on the look out for a neon (the old one fell out), maybe new headlights (undecided if it will get the projector retrofit left over from the red car), and some interior odds and ends. Oh yeah almost forgot PUT IT BACK ON AIR!! I'm going to slowly work on it and make it the way I want it. I'll have some pics tomorrow as getting it was a ride I got it at about 11 and was back in KC for church at 7 it ran 80 the whole day and made 27 mpg! The wheels are going to be shipped back to me hopefully in the next week so I can get them on.:D (and yes this was Brandon's CE if any of you are asking)

Its nice to hear it stayed in the LVC family. congratulations good luck
Did you get the aftermarket wheels with it or the nicer chrome 10 spokes?

the way it ought to be. ;)

so when is the next KC meet? :lol:

How about the beginning of may?
I will be getting the wheels as well it has painted ten spokes on it now.
Roger ill be calling you later I'm free all evening if you are.

Got some sweet stainless steel braided brake lines in the mail today.

Ordered them from Paragon Performance for a 1995 tbird. Their website has them listed at $160 (plus shipping) but the actual price comes out to about $136 including shipping. I think that's a pretty good deal if you ask me. They come with a protective plastic coating on them and you can pick from a few different colors. Thanks to Doug for recommending them!

I also received a Motive pressure bleeder (sorry, no picture) for the brakes today. I'm slowly getting closer and closer to installing my Brembo calipers...

image.jpg

Got some sweet stainless steel braided brake lines in the mail today.

Ordered them from Paragon Performance for a 1995 tbird. Their website has them listed at $160 (plus shipping) but the actual price comes out to about $136 including shipping. I think that's a pretty good deal if you ask me. They come with a protective plastic coating on them and you can pick from a few different colors. Thanks to Doug for recommending them!

I also received a Motive pressure bleeder (sorry, no picture) for the brakes today. I'm slowly getting closer and closer to installing my Brembo calipers...

You sure know how to talk dirty to a bunch of gear heads. Say Brembo one more time. :)

Went to junkyard to look at a gen1 on my lunch hour. Not a lsc but has a spring conversion I might get. Do the headliners interchange? I need 1 for my gen2

Went to junkyard to look at a gen1 on my lunch hour. Not a lsc but has a spring conversion I might get. Do the headliners interchange? I need 1 for my gen2

Nada unless you take the whole nose and make a cross breed Mark :shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back