What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

I went about the rear tail light in a far more complicated way but its not a bad outcome. Just finished it up today. I originally was going to install sequential 1157 bulbs in the trunk light but read about how the electrical draw on the lighting board shorts out the system so I opted to just use the Ballast wires to run most of the 6 RED LED bulbs. The 2 center sockets are just small spade markers, then the middle 1157's are lit just as OEM and the end 1157's light in tandem with the OEM signal bulbs. I was going to put the entire procedure in the How To section but seem to have lost the SD card with all the mod pictures! Its around here some where.... Any way, I put a chrome molding over the LED emitters so its not throwing an eye piercing red beam into folks eyes. The brilliant red LEDs give off a nice red color in the housing. The camera doesn't do it justice at all. The end OEMs are a bit orange in comparison. I also pictured how to repair the broken studs on the back of the housing since that's a major issue with these brittle housings. Gotta find that SD card! Then my driver door handle craped out on me today! Ha, one thing after another....
View attachment 828572181
View attachment 828572182
Just the markers lit
View attachment 828572183

UPDATE.... I found the SD card. I'll write up a How To Article on how I put 1157's in the light housing. Also how to fix the broken off housing screw studs.
looks really nice. I like your quality workmanship.

Swedie, she is beautiful, she doesn't look like a piece of crap or an ugly ducking!! I've got a few silver trim pieces for that front corner light - yours free just get s&h. Of course the plastic piece that adheres it is broke - but I've been able to make it work on my other two marks, I'm sure you could easily find a way to adhere it also.

Frankincougie - Mold n Hold - do tell me more please!! Did you happen to take pics when you fixed the rear lasagna issue? I'm going to google now to see what I can find on it, looking forward to hearing your experience with it and wondering if you could post some close up pics of the fixed parts!!!

In advance - thanks!
MsM8

Frankincougie - Mold n Hold - do tell me more please!! Did you happen to take pics when you fixed the rear lasagna issue? I'm going to google now to see what I can find on it, looking forward to hearing your experience with it and wondering if you could post some close up pics of the fixed parts!!!

In advance - thanks!
MsM8

I took a different tact. After looking at everything I could find on this, I didn't want to add another molding clipping over the OEM and more importantly, I will need to get my car painted. The OEM gasket proves a problem there since you cant capture the entire panel surface with the gasket in place. So, I just used a tight razor knife and cut the lasagna off. I'v yet to do the top where there is only a couple lifts. I will eventually bend a piece of aluminum flashing into the groove and hand sand the razored edge to a rounded one. The widest part of the gap is about 1/8th and most is not even that. You can see where the original paint was under the cut away portion as this car was once painted up to the flap of gasket. Painting "should be" panel edge to edge. The gasket flap has to go......
Bvnj87jh.jpg

Soaking up Oil from the Leaky Valve Cover Donuts..next time those Donuts are getting BATHED in Right Stuff

IMG_20200105_205947615_HDR.jpg

Finished up the Dual Exhaust install with my final update in the How To Articles section. Finaly....I'm done, for now anyway! :)
E3NIlz2l.jpg

Swedie, she is beautiful, she doesn't look like a piece of crap or an ugly ducking!! I've got a few silver trim pieces for that front corner light - yours free just get s&h. Of course the plastic piece that adheres it is broke - but I've been able to make it work on my other two marks, I'm sure you could easily find a way to adhere it also.

Thank you!
I'm sure I have that trim piece, somewhere. But I'll get in touch with you if I don't find it! It fell off somewhat like 7 years ago...

This was about a month ago but I straight piped it (still have cats for emissions).
20191230_134850.jpg

Also I did buy these for my BMW and was thinking of putting them on the Lincoln for a "Swedish" look on the Lincoln.
But I decided to send them back. A shame, would've been cool tho.
20191230_125247.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to fixing the old "recall" fire hazard cruise control sensor plug. I put it in the HOW TO ARTICLES. That should save anyone new to the VIII like me a bunch of time trying to figure this all out.

Today I will finally get the CPS changed. The intermittent start situation will hopefully be rectified. Looking to get her OTR my usual April 1.

I attempted to look into the rear neon ballast. I found that the wires (white) looked like they were burned at one point and were no longer connected to the neon light wiring. I spliced them, but to no avail. I'm not sure if the ballast, which did not look to be original, is bad or the neon itself.

Put some new Nitto Motivo 225-55-17's up front, and had the backwards Nitto NT450 275-50-17 on the driver's side rear mounted correctly.
20200421_085555.jpg
20200421_164233.jpg

Last edited:
Hot wired my starter but still no start, I am dealing with multiple issues I guess. Changing the spark plugs tomorrow there is oil in them

Members online

No members online now.
Back