What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Trying out 2.5 inch projectors in halogen housings.

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

I got a second key made. Now I've got two keys and two remotes. And one key that does everything but start the car. ;) Whoo hoo!

Well, ok, it's not much, but it's something. I goes lots more to do. :L

I got a second key made. Now I've got two keys and two remotes. And one key that does everything but start the car. ;) Whoo hoo!

Well, ok, it's not much, but it's something. I goes lots more to do. :L

So...you have a 97/98 with PATS and why doesn't your second key not start the car, because it is a normal non RFID/chipped key, or because it is a chipped key and needs programmed?

I was temping fate for a long time a single key, and not wanting to put out 60 bucks for a PATS key. I got Ace to cut me a regular key (they, like lots of other places, still think that a non chipped key can cause issues, like with the older Chevrolets with the resistor) and snagged a PATS key from the junk yard, and programmed it in.

It ain't pretty but I have a backup for a buck.

[video=youtube;DCsLqibkHSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCsLqibkHSE[/video]

So...you have a 97/98 with PATS and why doesn't your second key not start the car, because it is a normal non RFID/chipped key, or because it is a chipped key and needs programmed?

I was temping fate for a long time a single key, and not wanting to put out 60 bucks for a PATS key. I got Ace to cut me a regular key (they, like lots of other places, still think that a non chipped key can cause issues, like with the older Chevrolets with the resistor) and snagged a PATS key from the junk yard, and programmed it in.

It ain't pretty but I have a backup for a buck.

That's neat! I wish I'd a thought of that. Yep, sorry, it's a '98. I've got a no-chip key (that's the third key, I now have two PATS), and it does everything but start the ignition. I'm a firm believer that one is none, so I sprang for the $$ for a PATS key. If I'd have thought about your solution, it would have saved me a bunch of cash. I only need one key, so that would have worked for me. :gr_hail:

Never seen this ad before.
[video=youtube;_jjUh-I-7ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jjUh-I-7ik[/video]

BTW your looks sweet. love the hood and wheels!

Aired up the tires to winter psi and switched back to my 163k iac. A reputable member sent me a new looking aftermarket unit but it's idle speed was a bit finicky. Switching back to the old worn out iac was like installing a whole new unit.

Like they say, stick to oem motorcraft units.

11/27 4200 block of Hwy 58 Suffolk, Va: I was car #4 in a 5 car rear-ender chain reaction pile up. Only driver #1 got a ticket for coming to an immediate stop/reckless driving (she missed her turn). I got major front end damage (bent frame/core support) from rear ending a Corolla at about 40 mph. I was rear ended by a Jetta that rolled- clipped my pass side rear bumper. My mark is totalled no doubt. My left forearm was rashed from the airbag, but no other physical harm done. The tank saved me.
----
RIP '96 :q
----
lots of surplus 96 and gen 1 parts to list for sale....IMRC's PCM, VCRM, (96 LSC headlights in EC) I also pulled my aftermarket stereo head out which has the correct wiring harness-ready for plug and play

That sucks to hear. Sounds like the same exact damage I got to my 97 Cougar. I couldn't believe that the impact absorbing part of the front was part of the frame, and not separate. I got pretty bad airbag rash as well in mine, I guess in some cases it is better than eating the steering wheel but I doubt that would have happened in my case.

Don't forget to return the tune to stock so that you can use the XCAL2 on another car, so it isn't locked to that one. I also assume that you have enough into the car your gong to keep it, even if it is only to salvage some parts then junk it? I only had the pay 250 bucks for mine, well worth it for the suspension alone, and the engine and transmission that would drop right into another car I own.

new-to-me battery for the 96, a low mileage Motorcraft unit i got for the low low price of free the other day.

11/27 4200 block of Hwy 58 Suffolk, Va: I was car #4 in a 5 car rear-ender chain reaction pile up. Only driver #1 got a ticket for coming to an immediate stop/reckless driving (she missed her turn). I got major front end damage (bent frame/core support) from rear ending a Corolla at about 40 mph. I was rear ended by a Jetta that rolled- clipped my pass side rear bumper. My mark is totalled no doubt. My left forearm was rashed from the airbag, but no other physical harm done. The tank saved me.
----
RIP '96 :q
----
lots of surplus 96 and gen 1 parts to list for sale....IMRC's PCM, VCRM, (96 LSC headlights in EC) I also pulled my aftermarket stereo head out which has the correct wiring harness-ready for plug and play

Sorry to hear this. :( Glad you didn't get seriously injured.

That sucks dnsherrill
buy it back for parts for the next one though.
---
Unfortunately this happened about 2.5 hours away from where I live in Cary, NC (near Raleigh) after it happened I had to rent a car and drive back home....so it would cost a ton (maybe 4-$500?) to have it towed to me; I live in an apt with no garage and no place to store a junked car; Ihad liability only....so, total loss. The car is and will be in Suffolk, Va- it has hub swapped '98 Cobra rims and almost new tires, also Cobra front brakes; black interior is in VGC
---
so now I'm shopping for another DD....maybe a mark, maybe not- I had that one since 2003

TBD....it's up in the air currently, in Va-like NC-there's a 1% law: if someone hit my car but I was also at fault I get no coverage from them.
Maybe this is my chance to finally get into a gen 2, or pre 96 mark....DEFINITELY not another 96!!!

TBD....it's up in the air currently, in Va-like NC-there's a 1% law: if someone hit my car but I was also at fault I get no coverage from them.
Maybe this is my chance to finally get into a gen 2, or pre 96 mark....DEFINITELY not another 96!!!

Dam! That isn't good! If you lived close or wanna, or can store it here, I have plenty of room. You can drop it off, It will be here when your ready to do something with it.

Drove to Suffolk, Va...got some stuff out of it (including unlocked XCAL2 for sale),
took some pics.....
RIP
20151208_105102.jpg
------
20151208_105113.jpg

20151208_105102.jpg

20151208_105113.jpg

Too bad you couldn't get the rear hubs and wheels. I know it is difficult even if you can get a place to work on it. At least you got the XCalII and returned it to stock so you can use it. I am not sure of anyone that will still do tunes with them, I have mine from my 97 Cougar that I haven't done anything with.

At least you got the XCalII and returned it to stock so you can use it. I am not sure of anyone that will still do tunes with them, I have mine from my 97 Cougar that I haven't done anything with.
-----
TruDynoSports in Conover, NC did this one...I was a satisfied customer

(the wrecked 96) Paid the ransom to get it out of hock ($500) paid another tow driver to take it to a self storage,removed wheels and seats, drove back home 140 miles to put em in storage....go back on Saturday to get the pcm, rest of interior and front rotors, cobra PBR calipers, hub/bearings, maybe the back shock/shock mounts, back calipers
---
20151215_165223.jpg

20151215_165223.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back