What did you do to your LS today?

Started the process of upgrading my gauges!
1.jpg

Gonna work on that Green text tomorrow and then wire the backlight up to power.

To have the instrument cluster illuminated without the parking or headlights being turned on, let's say when the key is turned to accessory or the engine is running, is it as simple as getting power to the dimmer switch from a different "switched" source? Like from the cigar lighter? I suspect the dimmer switch get its power from the headlights switch when they are turned on.

To have the instrument cluster illuminated without the parking or headlights being turned on, let's say when the key is turned to accessory or the engine is running, is it as simple as getting power to the dimmer switch from a different "switched" source? Like from the cigar lighter? I suspect the dimmer switch get its power from the headlights switch when they are turned on.

No. It's data on the network that tells the cluster lights to come on, same for the radio and few other places.

Ah crap, 01V6, a few weeks ago I attempted to repair the coolant octopus hose setup in front of the engine. I found that the JB WELD Marine epoxy is great stuff, it adheres like a rock to plastic. And to stainless steel, but the steel must be clean, somehow my pipe was contaminated and the WELD did not stick, so a small leak developed at the small hose connector on the octopus. I decided to save some time and just get a new aftermarket part. The OEM's have a connector failure and the aftermarket tend to stress fracture at the small nipple pipe and I found the large pipe to be fractured also under the attached hoses. This octopus really needs to be made of metal. This will be my 3rd or 4th one at 207K miles. I also found the original coolant hose attached between the octopus and the top of the engine to have the interior rubber reverting back to it's original liquid state. It was just black goo inside and I could see flecks of black in the antifreeze. So I changed that out also. Removed a couple of ford hose clamps and installed good worm clamps instead. Those ford clamps can be a PITA to get off sometimes. I had to cut one off with my dremel tool. After 17 years parts to not want to come off easily. Anyway, car is running, got my heat on. Success.

I finally installed the light to my gauge kit! Will be working on the green text next. Also sorry that my camera is not the best on my phone! Also I need to clean the display a bit!
dash night.jpg

Last edited:
I finally installed the light to my gauge kit! Will be working on the green text next. Also sorry that my camera is not the best on my phone! Also I need to clean the display a bit!
View attachment 828571235

Could you post how you accomplished to have the dashboard gauges always back-lit? It may be a good article to post in either sticky "Please read before posting" and/or "LS info.....". -Thanks.

Could you post how you accomplished to have the dashboard gauges always back-lit? It may be a good article to post in either sticky "Please read before posting" and/or "LS info.....". -Thanks.
It came as a kit, the insert and the lighting have instructions that come with it. All you have to do is wire it into something that comes on with the key. If you are interested in that here is where I got it from. Free Ship Blue Glow 2000-2002 Lincoln LS Gauge Face Overlay LSE New | eBay
I have not made my wire permanent yet but the wires are out of the way a

Sprayed the grill with some primer and got my mesh, it was the thickest gauge mesh but it's still not thick enough, I'm going to double up to sheets and create an "X" pattern by overlapping. Out of Dremel discs so I don't know how the hell I'm going to remove the grill insert of the trim itself.

50777252_10161337113170402_5047344205031014400_n.jpg

IMG_0170[589].JPG

IMG_0175[657].JPG

Found the optional factory rear speaker enclosure local finally. Did some Roadkill 1st and added the mounting bolts. Went a step further and spray dyed the enclosure a matching grey to the interior and trunk plastics. Will be adding some Focal 5x7 component set of woofers in this with the tweeters mounted in pods on the inside of the car and a Focal 2 channel amp. Grabbing some Focal 6x9 grilles for under the rear glass section as well. I will mask off the logo and spray dye those to match the grey carpeting. Didn't post but already added Roadkill to all four doors and went with Focal 6 1/2 components up front, 5x7 coaxial in the rear doors. I also dyed the metal mesh grilles in the door panels.

51544784_468362133697388_4623778138072023040_n.jpg

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_1099.JPG

Those overlays have their own lighting built in them. They also have oversized needle holes to avoid removing them, so I assume its all in the name of minimizing difficulty and risk

Added a Gen 2 V6 lower airbox to my Gen 1 V8. Not sure if the Gen 2 V8 airbox is the same, but assuming it is. I retained the top portion of the original airbox which fits the lower section of the Gen 2 perfectly. All that was needed was to remove the rubber grommet in the hole in the inner fender as the Gen 2 box seals against the hole and just slightly massaged the metal bracket at the top over just a tad and it was a quick bolt in. The Gen 2 boxes have an added snorkel opening that aims toward the front grille for more cold airflow and the inside has a better air flow design into the box. Fast and quick mod that requires no cutting and better breathing for the Gen 1's.

Last edited:
Sourced a NOS carpet and shift assembly to freshen up the two most worn out items of my interior.

IMG_E1137.JPG

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

$139.99 for the muffler, $69.99x2 for the tips, and $19 or so in tax. I live near a Summit Racing so no shipping. Muffler shop wants $240 to do it. I actually wasn't expecting to spend so much on tips, but when in Rome...

Last edited:
Got a bad misfire today. Engine light flashing, ah crap. Checked with scanner, #1 misfire. of course, 01V6 208k miles, always on the worse side to work on. Removed enough stuff to just lift the intake manifold a few inches to get my hands on #1 cylinder. Pulled out the cop, crap, as always the valve cover gaskets leaked oil into the spark plug well. removed the plug, let the oil run into the cylinder, cleaned up the loose oil and reinstalled an old cop i had on the shelf. I have a new magnum vc gasket for it but did not feel like installing it in this cold weather. Maybe later this summer. Bye now.

Pulled the rear glass panel, disassembled it, shampoo'd it, spray dyed the Focal grilles and plastics correct OEM color, and reassembled. Also found a new LSE rear license plate bezel that will be repainted and freshen up the rear.

52364585_10156160654418008_5045639931943190528_o.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Pulled the rear glass panel, disassembled it, shampoo'd it, spray dyed the Focal grilles and plastics correct OEM color, and reassembled. Also found a new LSE rear license plate bezel that will be repainted and freshen up the rear.

View attachment 828571422

View attachment 828571423
Hey Carl ...Hope this message finds you well...it would be really cool if you would start a garage on your profile and post some before pics of your Lincoln LS and what it looks like now ...I have been fortunate to see the transformation over the last couple years but it would be really cool for others to see the work you did also...from the electric fan conversion to overall change...at least consider it ....thanks!

Hey Carl ...Hope this message finds you well...it would be really cool if you would start a garage on your profile and post some before pics of your Lincoln LS and what it looks like now ...I have been fortunate to see the transformation over the last couple years but it would be really cool for others to see the work you did also...from the electric fan conversion to overall change...at least consider it ....thanks!

Done.

2000 Lincoln LS V8 Progress

Members online

Back