What did you do to your LS today?

Finished replacing the solenoid and it did not correct my problem. 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are very hard, bangs into gear almost like it has a shift kit except it also does it at just off idle acceleration. Almost every shift is a kick in the pants, occasionally it will shift properly and when it does it's always a surprise. It also takes two tries to actually get into third gear. Run it easy or hard, and the shift goes one, two, three-two-three, four, five. No codes are set, and the new solenoid is a new Ford part with assumed all updates included. Any ideas?

Pcm or fluid level.

here ya go Tarcredd
IMAG2054-1_zpsdc8c8232.jpg

IMAG2058-1_zps7f552d74.jpg

Thx Rell. They are going in for paint before ever seeing rubber. The face, and between the spokes, is being painted Jaguar(XF) Lunar Gray(with a small bit of pearl). Mounting them on the car somewhere around mid-May. In no rush since the car is put up for the Winter.

... That Volare wandered all over the road. All the other ones that I saw were doing the same thing.

bad car 'nocebo effect' confirmed!

Telco, did you check for worn servo bore on that, should it perhaps have been sleeved?
The bores in these transmissions reach limits of wear that cause loss in pressure.

Pcm or fluid level.

Fluid level is perfect according to the screwed up way you check it. Warm it up, pull the drain plug, when it comes out in spurts it's at the correct level.

Speaking of which, discovered that the nut that the drain plug screws into is NOT welded to the bottom of the pan, so anyone who wants to drain their pan fully, you can just pull the nut. A caveat, I didn't remove the nut on mine all the way, it just started turning when I was pulling the drain plug. I am assuming that it can be removed with out any problems but the pan will definitely have to come off to put it back together. For those that don't know, inside that drain there is about a 3 inch long tube which is how pulling the plug and letting the fluid drain out works to set the fluid level correctly.

If it were the PCM I'd think that I would have other problems. Is there anything else it might be?

If it were the PCM I'd think that I would have other problems. Is there anything else it might be?

Short of rebuilding your trans, probably not.

I would bet on PCM.

You have an 03 correct? There was valve body problems, but it will throw an E, and it usually happens at like 120k miles. It also won't affect shifting besides not locking the TC.

There was someone who had similar symptoms in an 03 that ended up being the valve body but it was a really low mileage case and I don't think it's your problem.

Short of rebuilding your trans, probably not.

I would bet on PCM.

You have an 03 correct? There was valve body problems, but it will throw an E, and it usually happens at like 120k miles. It also won't affect shifting besides not locking the TC.

There was someone who had similar symptoms in an 03 that ended up being the valve body but it was a really low mileage case and I don't think it's your problem.

Mine has right at 135K miles and this has been going on for a bit, but no E code. The TC locks up.

Mine has right at 135K miles and this has been going on for a bit, but no E code. The TC locks up.

Still feels like pcm to me, but I'm just some guy over the internet. Might be valve body. Might be coils.

A shop will probably force a rebuild down your throat at that mileage.

Still feels like pcm to me, but I'm just some guy over the internet. Might be valve body. Might be coils.

A shop will probably force a rebuild down your throat at that mileage.

K thanks. I may run it by the dealer for a fluid flush and a diag then.

Sold my '06...... deeaea98af493789ffda73e5ee0311bb.jpg We do still have my wife's '06!!!!! :steering:steering

deeaea98af493789ffda73e5ee0311bb.jpg

The LS could NEVER achieve the mileage my 535 gets! I saw 425 DTE in the LS.... ONCE! I've NEVER seen 543!!!! I couldn't get a good picture until we had driven a few miles..... 27.4 MPG with an average speed of ~35.... Not bad!! More power + better MPG = Win-win!!!!!

IMG_0497.jpg

WHY DID IT POST SIDEWAYS???????

IMG_0497.jpg

The LS could NEVER achieve the mileage my 535 gets! I saw 425 DTE in the LS.... ONCE! I've NEVER seen 543!!!! I couldn't get a good picture until we had driven a few miles..... 27.4 MPG with an average speed of ~35.... Not bad!! More power + better MPG = Win-win!!!!!

View attachment 828471576

WHY DID IT POST SIDEWAYS???????
That sounds like a larger fuel tank to me.

It may sound that way to you, but it is an 18.5 or so gallon tank (LS is 18 gallons).
That's what I thought. They must calculate something different. I'll have to check mine and see what I got on the last long trip. I suspect that DTE is based on 30 mpg and that mpg is just run down from waiting to take the picture.

That's what I thought. They must calculate something different. I'll have to check mine and see what I got on the last long trip. I suspect that DTE is based on 30 mpg and that mpg is just run down from waiting to take the picture.

Nope.... Look at the average speed and average MPG. I got over 360 miles on the last tank with just under 1/4 tank left. I checked the average on straight and level at a steady 75 and was in the mid 30's; mainly 34.X. Updated EPA is 21/31. RPM at 75 is about 1950 and 80 is a hair (like needle's width) over 2K. The 8-speed really helps!

Joe is correct..... 18.5 gallons.

Finally found a broken moon roof in a crashed LS. All it took was a major rollover... You can't see the glass but you can see a tire someone stuck through the opening. I found it while searching for a rear end to do a 3.31/open>>3.58/LSD swap.

$_12.JPG

The eBay post: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Lincol...Model:Thunderbird&hash=item4ae3afc02d&vxp=mtr

$275 for a diff with 134k miles and a cracked pumpkin though??? No thanks.

$_12.JPG

Speaking of diffs, any way to tell whether it's a 3.31, 3.58, or 3.07 other than running the VIN? Most listings say the 3.58 is a Sport thing, but my 02 Sport is a 3.31 according to Ford Parts Giant. Was the 3.58 standard on Gen 2 Sports? I've found a couple Gen 1 3.58s on eBay, including one from an 02 Thunderbird

Edit: I'll update with some local junkayrd results if their VINs are provided. I'll determine sport/nonsport just by bumpers and/or shifter

My 02 Sport V8: 3.31
01 V8-Non-sport: 3.31
02 V6 non-Sport: 3.58

This has been discussed before......

VERY early V8's.... 3.58
MAJORITY of 1st GEN V8's.... 3.31
ALL automatic V6's... 3.58
Manual trans.....3.07
ALL 2nd GEN V8's...3.58

I think that covers it.

Nope.... Look at the average speed and average MPG. I got over 360 miles on the last tank with just under 1/4 tank left. I checked the average on straight and level at a steady 75 and was in the mid 30's; mainly 34.X. Updated EPA is 21/31. RPM at 75 is about 1950 and 80 is a hair (like needle's width) over 2K. The 8-speed really helps!

Joe is correct..... 18.5 gallons.
Man, it must be nice to have 8 speeds. It's strange to have so many ratios with so much torque on hand. Are there flat spots in the power and somewhere? I was reading an article where the reviewers questions the lack of performance relative to an earlier model (based on 335i figures using the same engine). Info from Car and Driver April 2012 BMW 335i.

The pics are my numbers from a trip I took last year running 85-90 mph mostly with 2 stops in rest areas. The trip was from Waycross, GA to St Petersburg, FL.

Man, it must be nice to have 8 speeds. It's strange to have so many ratios with so much torque on hand. Are there flat spots in the power and somewhere? I was reading an article where the reviewers questions the lack of performance relative to an earlier model (based on 335i figures using the same engine). Info from Car and Driver April 2012 BMW 335i.

The pics are my numbers from a trip I took last year running 85-90 mph mostly with 2 stops in rest areas. The trip was from Waycross, GA to St Petersburg, FL.

It is nice. IIRC, peak torque is available from 1500 RPM. I've floored it twice so far from 60ish. I don't remember getting shoved into the seat-back but I was at triple digits much, much quicker than in the LS. Totally caught me off guard!! I have to be much more careful in the future!! So far I'm not a fan of the loud pedal being hinged on the floor vs. from the top like the LS and every other car I've owned. I read that article too and even though they share the engine, the 3 is nothing like the 5. I read a different article (don't remember where as I'm all over the interweb trying to get as much info on this car as I can!) that it wasn't possible to extrapolate the data from the 3 to the 5. That's like testing a 550i, saying its slow and as the 7 shares the same power plant it too will be slow. Apples to oranges.

The LS does seem to get exceptional mileage at those speeds on flat roads. I was getting about 28.5 going 85 across Wyoming on real gas; not the ethanol crap we have to have here. Same accross east Texas; 85-95 with a couple of jaunts into triple digits yielded about 27.5 MPG.

As i was driving today to work my wheel suddenly jerks left. Afterwards the steering wheel holds a 45 to the left but car is still going straight as if I have a huge allignment issue. 5 minutes later the same thing but to the right. Could this be my rack and pinion?

As i was driving today to work my wheel suddenly jerks left. Afterwards the steering wheel holds a 45 to the left but car is still going straight as if I have a huge allignment issue. 5 minutes later the same thing but to the right. Could this be my rack and pinion?

There are a number of things it could be, all very serious. Your car is not safe to drive (you really should have stopped when it first jerked). Have it towed to someone that can diagnose and fix it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back