What did you do to your LS today?

Lots of overdue updates in my progress thread. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?63703-My-LS-Progress/page11

Brakes, AC, cooling system, etc.

DSC_4043_s.jpg

Finally got mine of the stands and into the driveway.

I got a new key cut, one side for my 02 LS, the other for my 97 Taurus. The result is: it does NOT work. I tried the door, ignition, and trunk on both cars and the only thing that it could open was the Taurus trunk. Obviously, I tried flipping the key in the cylinder! I thought it'd be neat to have one key run both cars, but alas, they've upped the security since my dad's Granada/Mustang key. I tried it with a chipless $2 hardware store key. They've worked fine with both cars when cut correctly, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I got a new key cut, one side for my 02 LS, the other for my 97 Taurus. The result is: it does NOT work. I tried the door, ignition, and trunk on both cars and the only thing that it could open was the Taurus trunk. Obviously, I tried flipping the key in the cylinder! I thought it'd be neat to have one key run both cars, but alas, they've upped the security since my dad's Granada/Mustang key. I tried it with a chipless $2 hardware store key. They've worked fine with both cars when cut correctly, so that shouldn't be an issue.

A locksmith should be able to rekey one key to the other. Or, last year I had to put a new ignition switch into my daughter's Malibu, and they sent me an ignition cylinder (may have the wrong term here) with a set of lettered keys. It was a simple matter to match the keys in the old ignition cylinder to the new one. It worked fine when done. Key cylinders is one of those things that works pretty much the same across brands, so ordering a new ignition switch then pinning one to the other may be another solution for you. Not guaranteed though, the locksmith might be the way you need to do it.

A locksmith should be able to rekey one key to the other. Or, last year I had to put a new ignition switch into my daughter's Malibu, and they sent me an ignition cylinder (may have the wrong term here) with a set of lettered keys. It was a simple matter to match the keys in the old ignition cylinder to the new one. It worked fine when done. Key cylinders is one of those things that works pretty much the same across brands, so ordering a new ignition switch then pinning one to the other may be another solution for you. Not guaranteed though, the locksmith might be the way you need to do it.

That's probably the only way to do it. However, rekeying the whole car is going to take significantly more time and money than the $6 key that's nothing more than a novelty item for me. Maybe someone else would really want that

I replaced the power steering pressure switch on my wife's '06. This was a repair where my small hands actually came in, well, handy.

Replaced a bad COP with a salvage yard one for $20 until my replacement set and valve cover gaskets arrive. Also picked up 2 VCT gaskets.

Performed the brake rotor and pad bed-in procedure, some smoke and a little stink later, she brakes hard now.
Glad to have had it out for a spin today, after the bed-in and cool down, took it to the wash bays and got 11mths of dust off it.

Have to pull the right rear wheel, something is rubbing, need to check the dust cover, sound does not change when applying brakes.

All the suspension components including the DEEZA end links, feel real tight and smooth in the corners. Drives real nice, tight!

~ Still need to make it to the tire and rim shop in town to get the new front sports shocks installed and a 4 wheel alignment.
~ Still need to get the back end of the Bassani exhaust redone and have the chrome tips removed and replaced with simple cut tips.
~ Still want to do the blacking out of the chrome window trim.
~ Still need to perform head and fog lamp alignments.

Have it out for the next following week to burn off old fuel before it goes back into storage. Boy did I miss out on a whole season of LS'ing. (driving)

Getting some pics hopefully tomorrow.

Shopping online for a car cover, moving pads aren't covering it 100%

Polished it all late into the evening.

20141101_222628.jpg

20141101_222628.jpg

yup, took much longer than it needed to but all the major work is done. I'm sure there'll be more.

Today:

Had it out for a good long spin and grabbed some decent pics. Drives real smooth and tight, sticks like glue.

image.jpg

[ back in hiding ]

OK, I'll combine a "few days" since I just saw this post. I bought my LS in southern california last month and drove it home to Rochester NY. Since that time I have:
Replaced all 8 Coils
Replace Clock spring (3-2 error plus no cruise and no horn)
Replaced panel holding trunk release and gas tank door (missing for some reason?)
Purchased spare tire (also missing but I'll admit I got it before I left Ca)
Replace drivers door window regulator
Replaced Center console with one from 2002 (I hated that goofy cup holder in the 2000)

Could not agree more, hardest part was actually getting those plugs unplugged, my hands were just a bit too big. I agree, I was nervous holding that airbag as well. Fixed my cruise, my horn and my airbag, not bad even though the part was a bit pricey.

Over the weekend I had the pleasures of first hand trying out them ninja cup holders on an 00 sitting in the local u-pull-it yard.
YEAH, glad I don't own those in my LS, it was rather goofy.

I just scored a 2002 console on Ebay specifically to get rid of that god awful cup holder. I got the LS to replace my Audi A6 (1998 with 204k now) and up until I did, I thought the Audi had the worst cup holders in the industry but nope, 2000 LS wins.

^ LOL, yup!

Drove it to work today, cleared a P0136 this morning and recleared same, twice on the way home. Guess who needs a sensor!

^ LOL, yup!

Drove it to work today, cleared a P0136 this morning and recleared same, twice on the way home. Guess who needs a sensor!

At least you got to drive it before Canadian winter set in. :D

Added some Lucas trans additive to the transmission. I didn't get a chance to see if it did any good or not, will be taking a long drive tomorrow. The hope is that it will smooth the shifting out until I can get my truck running, which would have been today if I've not discovered that the radiator had a crack in it. I think I might have cracked it taking it out. Also cleaned the MAF for GP, and replaced the air filter.

A tip for the many new owners, to replace the air filter don't unclip and pull, pull then unclip to remove the air cleaner. You need tor remove the hose, then remove the bolt to the inner fenderwell that holds the air cleaner housing in place. Grab the cleaner, then give it a good, hard pull up while angling towards the rear of the car to clear the front lip. There is a little plastic knob that holds the housing in place. Once the housing is removed, then you can remove the top from the bottom. If you attempt to just pull the lid off, you will break the lower attachment point and may break the lid because there is not enough room between the housing and the rad support to get the lid off without removing the housing. The last owner of my car did not know this, which is why the housing on my car is cracked with duct tape over the crack. At some point I'll need to do a proper repair but the duct tape will hold for now.

Have to say though Telco, those DEEZA links are just fine, granted much more suspension parts were replaced, it's still a much better tight responsive ride now. (not that it was all that bad before)

Members online

Back