What did you do to your LS today?

hmmm very interesting , i suppose when I burnout in those I will probably BURN OUT literally

tried the low pro wooden tires and rims combo, ummm i give it a 2 out of 5 rating , would I recommend it to a friend ? ima say no , would I recommend to someone I hate ? yes , only pro is it catches fire quickly .....like reallyyyyy quickly

LAKU_sam_col_royster_fire.jpg

Never knew smelt meant that lol. It is driven short distances. My apartment is about 3-5 miles from my job and about 1-2 miles from my college. Started her up this morning and didn't throw any smoke like it did the other times. I'm probably just being paranoid haha. Appreciate the info my friends.

Ugh, hope you do take it for the occasional long drive. Either that or you need to start putting a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil into the crankcase right before oil changes, then drive it 50 miles then change the oil. Otherwise,

BMWSanDiego2.jpg

Now the picture shown is actually an engine that was on a 15,000 mile oil change interval according to the info quip on the picture, but super short drive intervals will do the same thing.

I have been really lucky with craigslist finds. When I first joined this forum - believe it or not, and it wasnt that long ago btw, there were tons of things available for this car with respect to finds on craigslist. Now? I can't find anything! I got my volvo 19's with tires for $450 and my cygnus with tires for $400... Both sets had brand new tires on them, and easily worth double that. I used to post frequently to the craigslist posting but now that I can't find anything it has become too burdensome to filter through pages of scam ads to find good deals. Although they still exist, it is becoming harder and harder to locate stuff for the LS (as we all know).

I even got my McLaren already color matched off someone on craiglist for $100! :)

Today I fixed my broken armrest latch. Both of the plastic pegs that hold it in place were broken off, so I sanded it flat on both sides, then drilled holes with a small drill bit. next i found nails that fit tightly in the holes. dipped the nails in super glue and put it all back together. works great now. can imagine it ever breaking again.

I quoted your picture because that looks horrible and I was going to comment on it. Then, in the post edit, it showed me the link was from a BMW forum....Hope that guy is wealthy.

Yeah, I just grabbed a picture of a generic gunked up head. One of my dad's neighbors had a 90s 3 series that wore some cam lobes, and was quoted something like 2200 bucks just for the cams. Not everything you need to replace them, just the cams.

I quoted your picture because that looks horrible and I was going to comment on it. Then, in the post edit, it showed me the link was from a BMW forum....Hope that guy is wealthy.

The problem is that BMW has 15K oil change intervals. They require LL01 oil at 5W30 to 0W40 to achieve this. A lot of people never read the LL01 part and just put any 5W30 oil in and this is what happens. (The LL01 is a little hard to find in the US, apart from Mobil 1 0W40 European formula.) I had to change the valve cover gasket on mine at about a 150K, and it looked pretty good inside, but then its always gotten the correct oil.

The problem is that BMW has 15K oil change intervals. They require LL01 oil at 5W30 to 0W40 to achieve this. A lot of people never read the LL01 part and just put any 5W30 oil in and this is what happens. (The LL01 is a little hard to find in the US, apart from Mobil 1 0W40 European formula.) I had to change the valve cover gasket on mine at about a 150K, and it looked pretty good inside, but then its always gotten the correct oil.

You could always just pull the filler tube and take a peak periodically.

We are talking about an E46 BMW, and your picture looks like an LS.
I promise you that the M54 engine in my 325i does not have a fill tube.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/BMW_M54B25_002.jpg

Ok, that is my bad then. I thought since this is an LS thread, there was still at least one thread connecting to the LS. I thought the BMW pic was just used for illustration purposes since we all know that any LS would have completely disintegrated before it got half that bad. I also thought the original mini discussion included a V6 and an '06 which I may have mistakenly linked to LSes associated with Godz-Soldier.

Edit: Oh yeah. Can't you still view the inside of the valve cover to see a section of the cam when you take off the oil filler cap?

Ok, that is my bad then. I thought since this is an LS thread, there was still at least one thread connecting to the LS. I thought the BMW pic was just used for illustration purposes since we all know that any LS would have completely disintegrated before it got half that bad. I also thought the original mini discussion included a V6 and an '06 which I may have mistakenly linked to LSes associated with Godz-Soldier.

What's the fun if these things stay completely on topic?
Playing along... There were no LS V6s in 06, and the BMW in question is a straight six, not a V6.

What's the fun if these things stay completely on topic?
Playing along... There were no LS V6s in 06, and the BMW in question is a straight six, not a V6.

Originally Posted by Godz-Soldier<br />
Lolll the pic. Never smelt any sweet antifreeze through exhaust or anywhere. It more of a old burnt oily smell mixed with rich exhaust fumes. But I'm gonna step out real quick to start her up and see if it does it again and take a wiff of it to be sure lol!
<br />
<br />
Are you driving short distances? My old V6 and my wife's '06 do that when they've been driven short distances, not allowing the &quot;residue&quot; in the system to burn off.<br />
<br />
Smelt: A small fish.<br />
<br />
Smelled: Something a nose did in the past.<br/>

Ok, this is where I started following the topic of the V6 and the '06 LS. The BMW pic was used as an illustration for a sub-topic of the 15000mi oils and those trying to use non euro spec oil for these long change intervals and ending up with that type of result.

How did you get that out...

How did you get that off. Mines been leaking around the neck.

Same here and I was left with the understanding that it could only come of from the underneath side of the Valve Cover.
1st vs. 2nd GEN change? I tried turning mine out on my 1st GEN. Does not come loose.

Also what is the acceptable amount of foam under the cap??

View attachment 828466060

I'd start rinsing that out, doesn't look healthy at all.
There are detergent available you add and run for a bit prior to oil changes.

... I promise you that the M54 engine in my 325i does not have a fill tube ...

Ahhh actually Joe,

looks like ...

BMW_M54B25_002.jpg

I'll take category "BMW Fill Tubes" for $200 Alex!

drew-gets-it-550px.jpg

j/k LOL

BMW_M54B25_002.jpg

Same here and I was left with the understanding that it could only come of from the underneath side of the Valve Cover.
1st vs. 2nd GEN change? I tried turning mine out on my 1st GEN. Does not come loose.

I'd start rinsing that out, doesn't look healthy at all.
There are detergent available you add and run for a bit prior to oil changes.
Dip stick is clean. I guess this is normal if you take short trips/sit for long periods of time which is what my car does.

Members online

No members online now.
Back