suspension once and for all

BAD97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
please make this a sticky so we dont have a million more threads on this topic. i know we all need to save a buck or two here and there, but if you cannot afford the following parts for your mark VIII, then you shouldnt be driving the car PERIOD. i will break it down into part numbers for the front end parts weather you have air ride still, or are sprung. here we go once and for all.
for all of us on air ride still here are the part numbers for your upper control arms from TRW
K8781 and K8782if you have converted to springs the uppers you need are TRW
K8596 and K8598 those do not have the height sensor ball on them you dont need it if you are on springs.
now, on the lower control arms, we can ALL use t-bird lowers, it doesnt matter if you have springs or air ride on the lower control arms, if you want to buy them for a mark VIII go ahead but the average price difference between the mark VIII lowers and t-bird lowers is roughly $41 dollars cheaper for the t-bird lowers EACH.
the TRW part number for the t-bird lowers is
K80055 and K80053sway bar end links TRW part number is
18128 ( 2 required )
and strut rod bushings i use the blue moogs, some people cry about them, i have no problems with these and have used a ton of them on many mark VIII's, if you dont want to use them only others i would trust are genuine ford strut rod bushings, otherwise the part number on the moog strut rod bushings is
there you go, no more questions, if you want to do tie rods buy whatever you want i wont reccomend tie rods because i feel many are fine to use.
here are pics to compare by i hope this makes it as a sticky so we can put an end to this problem, there is no reason for so many threads on this subject.

98progresspics001.jpg

98progresspics003.jpg

98progresspics004.jpg

98progresspics006.jpg

98progresspics005.jpg

these are all pics i took last night while i rebuilt the front end of my 98 lsc. and none of this was ordered, i got it all at the counter of advance auto, they stock all of it. maybe i paid more but i got it all right there on the spot and the car is already done as of last night. hope this can be put to rest now.

Sad thing is that there will still be one million posts about this even when it gets sticky. That don't sound very good does it?:hump:

I did all that and i still get a clunk from the strutt rod to subframe bushings. if your going to pull it apart might as well do that to. like $65.

Dude- Thanks for the great info. I'm getting ready to do both my 94 and the wifes 95...

Hope you stick around. Don't let the boneheads get you down on here...

rebuild

Common sense is not so common anymore.And when you do rebuild the front end or the back end get the alignment set.This is a must.Great post Jamie.

Point of interest. The Moog bushings that I and others have had issues with are the strut rod to k-member ones, not the strut rod to LCA bushings.

I only say this because I see you have only the rear SRB in your picture and not the front SRBs.

Point of interest. The Moog bushings that I and others have had issues with are the strut rod to k-member ones, not the strut rod to LCA bushings.
yeah thats where i heard of issues as well, i have run them on all my mark viiis, tbirds and cougars, and never had a single issue

Could we make it appear as a list and not a story. I hate to read all that

Even if they make this a sticky, and common sense would to be to read it, you know by forum knowledge that they will still ask the same repetitive questions over and over and swear they searched and found nothing to their question.

But it never hurts to try and hope. Great info by the way.

Moog/TRW part numbers

Upper Control Arms

With sensor ball (Mark VIII), air ride

K8781 and K8782

Without sensor ball (T bird), or spring conversion

K8596 and K8598

Lower Control Arm

K80055 and K80053

Sway Bar Endlinks

18128 (two required)

Strut Rod to Lower Control Arm Bushing

Well, maybe I have something setup wrong, but if I use the search feature at the top of this forum and enter the word 'suspension' I get a whole bunch of thread titles that don't sound like they would have much specific info on suspension parts or repair. And most of them don't.

In fact this very thread doesn't even show up when I search for the above word.

But I like the sticky idea. I found several other sites with similar useful and sought after types of info all organized and right there easy to find.

the search is a keyword search. it will return every thread with "suspension" anywhere in the thread.
when i search, i go to google and start with site:lincolnvscadillac.com and then my keywords. i have much better luck.

the search is a keyword search. it will return every thread with "suspension" anywhere in the thread.
when i search, i go to google and start with site:lincolnvscadillac.com and then my keywords. i have much better luck.

now that should be a sticky. GREAT IDEA!!!!!

Well, maybe I have something setup wrong, but if I use the search feature at the top of this forum and enter the word 'suspension' I get a whole bunch of thread titles that don't sound like they would have much specific info on suspension parts or repair. And most of them don't.

In fact this very thread doesn't even show up when I search for the above word.

If you narrow your search to titles only and pic the forum you are pertaining to, it works

That's my point I AM already in the forum (THIS one that is entitled "Lincoln Mark VIII") that I want to search and the search tools is labeled "Search This Forum". I also went to > advanced > sort by threads, but this thread does not appear for me when I search for 'suspension'.

However, I got to thinking it might only be returning posts that I have not viewed already, but I am not sure of that and not about to weed through all that junk to find out.

Anyway, thanks again to you guys. I will crawl on back to the moderated forums I'm familiar with and they seem to don't mind questions.

Members online

No members online now.
Back