Supercharged Ls V8

When you have the setup fully completey an in a kit form (if) are you going to make a day of a road course or some type of extended high load and then pull the engine and mic vital things like pistons, have the rods check for straightness, bearings etc?

nope - nothing that extensive - but - I will have many, many miles and time on it - and several 100 WOT runs, a few dyno runs (hopefully)....

[qutoe]The other issue that is ever present with supercharged or turboed vechiles is the blow-by from the PVC venting. When I had the intake off for the valve cover job I did notice more than normal (not excessive) amount of oil from the two PVC vent tubes.[/quote]On SC'd GM's the excess get cycled back through the throttle body and into the intake.

The other issue that is ever present with supercharged or turboed vechiles is the blow-by from the PVC venting. When I had the intake off for the valve cover job I did notice more than normal (not excessive) amount of oil from the two PVC vent tubes.
On SC'd GM's the excess get cycled back through the throttle body and into the intake.

yep - I guess that is the normal path now for most vehicles since you can't vent the valve covers directly to the air anymore....

the catch cans should allow the PVC venting back into the intake but seperate the oil from the air first. They say it actually improves engine life by reducing the amount of oil entering the intake....

attachment.jpg

rofl

Any idea on a possible time table for this to hit the market? I am VERY interested in the set-up. Just cyrious to ita availablity.

good question - we've been working on tunes all week (family it off visiting) so I've been able to focus on more car.

Installed catch cans (seperate the oil from the PCV venting) this morning - I'll post about that later.

Working on my brakes tomorrow - and more tunes.

If I can pass my emissions in the next week or two - it will be dyno time - and we'll be able to start the next car.

This is of course dependant on the dyno numbers and if they are good enough. If not we'll start trying some diffenert combinations of larger injectors and pulley sizes.

So far - I am running very fat - so we have not seen any issue with the 2005 Mustang GT injectors or the stock fuel pump - but haven't tuned it for performance number yet either....

Emission is the focus right now.

Putter-GLHT said:
When you have the setup fully completely an in a kit form (if) are you going to make a day of a road course

It seems that this project is coming closer and closer to a finished completion. And you know, this comment above actually gives me an idea.

Quik, what if you did make a day at a road course, drag strip, etc. and there were a butt load of LS's there to watch. Maybe a small unveiling for the hard work you have put into this project. Would you be up for it?

And if Quik is up for it, how many ppl would be willing to support this idea?

I might be interested in coming in from Tampa to see this! Doubt I'll drive out there though, 16+ hours doesn't thrill me much anymore by car (regardless of how sweet the LS is).

On Friday, I showed pics of Quik's car to a co-worker who is a total car buff, and he agreed the fabricating work, and the general look of the lowered car with all the things done to it -- looks AWESOME!

Keep up the good work dude.
Bozz

Ya, and it also makes me realize how poor my proof reading is sometimes: "fully competely an in a kit" instead of fully completed in a...

Quik LS said:
good question - we've been working on tunes all week (family it off visiting) so I've been able to focus on more car.

Installed catch cans (seperate the oil from the PCV venting) this morning - I'll post about that later.

If I can pass my emissions in the next week or two - it will be dyno time - and we'll be able to start the next car.

This is of course dependant on the dyno numbers and if they are good enough. If not we'll start trying some diffenert combinations of larger injectors and pulley sizes.

So far - I am running very fat - so we have not seen any issue with the 2005 Mustang GT injectors or the stock fuel pump - but haven't tuned it for performance number yet either....

I am lucky. I just moved to an area that emissions are not tested.:D

Good thing too. I don't thing the L67/3800sc swap in my Beretta would have pasted.:lol:

So, im interested can u help me get what I need?

Ok so I have been looking at this post for a while. I used to have a turbo car and the sounds and powers it held were something known to man as pride. Well that and my corvette both which the turbo blew a rod through the block and the vette is sitting with a spun crank needing to be rebuilt. So anyways I had no cars to drive so I bought my ls. It has about 77k and im still paying payments on it. I also have a nissan maxima I am planning to replace the motor with one I got off craigslist for 100 dollars. So my maxima is going to be the commuter while I if I can save up and get a bad ass lincoln setup. Since with my job at about 9 miles to the gallon avg delivering subs is unefficient. So I just said hell with it why not instead of the semi fast gas hog make it a gas eating badass corvette eating chick magnet. If its at all possible. I looked at the supercharged and the turbo charged and looked for the most dont f*** with piping .etc pop in bolt on make some parts and go. Not stating a cake walk install but at least not a cake walk marathon when does this ish end install. So I did alot of reading and looking and I might have found a m90 but have to wait to get it. Not sure how its going to turn out but once I get a charger its on like donkey kong. So anyways it looks like if it goes out as planned I might be working alot more than planned. So heres my concern with all of this. I have approx 5 to 4 years left to pay for this car. I have been having a problem with oil leakage somewhere. But heres something that im sketch about. So i bought the car with 65k on it and have to have a few things fixed. 1st thing was valve cover gasket leaked into coils so it cost 600 bucks maybe more. I thought u had to change the oil after a valve cover gasket job. I was wrong I drove it for around 10k miles without a oil change. So I finally changed the oil it was a bad move on my part not changing it but I also didnt have a job so that was even more hard to do. Long story short I had a few times I would pull the dipstick and it was really low so I added oil as nessicary. I have changed the oil regularly after all this but have noticed some noise in the engine. I took it to the shop they said it was fine but its bugging the hell out of me. So mainly its when its hot and i drop it from neutral to drive it makes a rattling noise like a click click click that fades in and out at times. I am hoping rod bearings are ok but I dont know. Do any ones ls's make weird noises like that? I just want to keep everything kosher on it because 5 years of paying to a dead car is like paying off your ex's credit card at jcpenny. So whats the gas mileage and stuff on this supercharged ls quick is giving me wet dreams about? Any luck on the rear end? Truthfully I dispise my rear end and the trac control is an everyday push the off button because the tires on the back are smaller than the front. I have daton daytona 16s on the back and stock on the front but the way it is right now 60 on a 15 mph off ramp is so heart pumping compared to the other ones I had that almost abs'ed me into an divider a while back. I just got ceramic pads and new rotors all round so its almost all done. I just need to kill the squeak in the front rotors because I havent replaced them yet. Theyre sitting in the garage waiting to be put on. But tell me if u know where do I get this rear end and do I need a tranny? Im wondering u mentioned the mustang rear end but what about a sc bird rear? I knew someone that had one and it had "posi" or locking I dont know but it spun 2 not 1 tires. If I get this m90 I will need some pointers. Hopefully its not rainy tommorow and I can get the motor in my maxima and get more money saved up driving that for a bit. Either that or look on craigslist for a geo. By the way excellent job on the posts quick that ls looks like something u would see on batman with the flames coming out the back. Now one thing im curious about is how is the blow off on a sc than a tc? I know I met alot of people with my tc sr20det nissan 240. Is the power more high rpm or what with the sc? I know with the tc if u kept it in 3000 rpm and got to about 5 to fast it would have u sideways. It the sc more instant then dies off at faster speed or what? I got my ls to about 145 would the sc eliminate that? Sorry about all the questions but if I get the m90 either im gonna have to pay someone to do it or im going to end up paying to put my car to the ground or im going to do it right and get my moneys worth. Thank you very much and again beautiful car and beautiful progress. Mike

Quik LS said:

RollinLS said:
I am lucky. I just moved to an area that emissions are not tested. - YET!!

fixed!

Texas only adopted them 2 years ago in the county where I live.... Alot of the 1000hp street cars are sucking wind now.

We are increasing cylinder pressures so a good, strong (fairly young) working motor is critical since we really don’t know how much extra the motor already at 10.55:1 compression can take….

So whats the gas mileage and stuff on this supercharged ls quick is giving me wet dreams about?
My current mileage is high 13’s - low 15’s driving easy but with as very fat fat tune. Which isn't much different than I was getting before SC.

Any luck on the rear end?
I have a used LS diff housing with a T2 Torsen rear installed in it - for a 98 Cobra. I have not yet set pre-loads or back-lash but everything seems to fit. That will be the next project.

Now one thing im curious about is how is the blow off on a sc than a tc?
The SC does not use a blow off valve - typically - since the blower is driven off the engine rpm directly the pressure drops as the engine rpm drops. Unlike the turbo - where once spun up can keep spinning - so you have to add a blow off valve to dump the excess boost when not needed.

It the sc more instant then dies off at faster speed or what?
Yes - the SC is typically a better choice for V8 low boost applications since the SC make boost at lower rpms - adding low end hp/torque. The efficiencies of an SC fall off at higher rpms - heat and the max limit is about 14,000 rpm - so we have to design the proper rpm into the pulley size, belt rotation, engine rpm.

I got my ls to about 145 would the sc eliminate that?
Nope - it all has to do with engine rpm - not car speed.

Quik LS said:
I have a used LS diff housing with a T2 Torsen rear installed in it - for a 98 Cobra. I have not yet set pre-loads or back-lash but everything seems to fit. That will be the next project.

Okay so you're telling me that it would appear right now that an 8.8 diff will fit into the LS's 8" housing?!?!?!?!?!? Are there any modifications required?!? Is the 8" housing actually an 8.8 then?? Please, do explain into this further!!!

Like Quik says...a s/c doesn't use a BOV. It uses boost bypass instead. You have to have something, or when you lifted the throttle while you were boosted, real ugly things would happen.

quik, this might sound kind of silly but, what was your base run on a dyno if any? just wondering so when you dyno it with the sc we'll know how much you gained. good luck and god speed.

I was wondering the same exact thing. Or if you haven't reached that point what your estimates are/will be.

How long has the SC been running strong now? like 4 or 5 months? I can't believe I'm the only person who thinks that it is odd that there are no nubmers, stats, videos etc.....

you again - eh?

I'll post up some of the things we've done over the past month.

My goal it to pass emissions first - then tune for performance (as I've said several times).

Yes - I been running for about 4 months now. Can't go a week without throwing a code - mostly lean or mis-fire. So that has been my focus - I actually threw a 'system took too long to reach temp' over the Christmas break - we were tuning and it was too cold outside for my 'thermostat-less' car...

so in the past 90days I :
- did my VC gaskets - two of the plugs well were filled to the top with oil.
- swapped both my fuel pump and fuel transfer pump
- re-built the SC snout to cure a small oil leak (it was a used SC)
- added oil catch cans in the PCV venting to reduce the amount of oil scavenging into the intake
- re-worked my ABS to add line-locks
- started working on the Torsen rear end (took it apart started reading)

We have run about 10 different tunes over the Christmas - new years break.

So far I have not thrown a code this week - I'm off to Montreal tomorrow. If it continues the following week - then I'm heading in for the emissions test.

Emissions is my focus since the color of the sticker changed 01/01/07 - so I'll be very easy to spot that I have not passed.

one problem I have not being able to fix is - I cannot record the MAF_Counts on the LiveLink software from SCT. My strategy does not even show MAF_Counts, and if I back code the strategy to an older version the MAF_Count do not record. This is a key tuning parameter - so I have logged a support issue with SCT to get that corrected.

At least I got a solid update from ya! hahaha. Sounds like a lot of work! Hope it's all paying off...being able to drive a supercharged LS to work everyday must be great! ;0)

Members online

No members online now.
Back