Supercharged Ls V8

I think ILLS said 8psi was the max you could do (at least with his turbo).

I think that may even be a little too high. I remember reading about him tuning it around 5-6 psi, but I dont remember him getting to the point where he wanted to take it any higher before he decided that he could get what he wanted out of it, so he sold it and got the 6.0 G8 for his twin turbo project. Rob also pulled the turbo out and sold the car before too long too so its kinda hard to say how long his would have lasted without getting into stronger internals. I thought alex was running even below that when his popped... I think the 4-6 PSI you can get out of the little eaton would be as high as I would bother going with a stock motor. I thought Lou tried a pulley to get around 7-8 for a very short amount of time before he backed it back down, but both of those guys spent a lot of time fine tuning every aspect of their setups and were probably two of the best setups I've seen done, adding alex and "the baddest LS" to that short list (baddest LS is a tough one to count because almost nothing was left stock). and I dont really remember how much Cam was running before his motor went right after completing his turbo, and the guy that bought Robs old setup posted once or twice after getting it put on but then just disappeared.

to me, the cost of going turbo just ain't worth it for this car because it would be very hard to even come close to using enough of the snails potential... the simplicity of a roots blower would be the only route I would take on this car because it would be possible to do with out going crazy on the budget. anything else and I would definitely look to a better suited car. there are just way to many weak points on the LS to have to address and the trouble it presents to swap to a better motor also ruins most chances of going that route. I just can't tell you how many people have come on here saying they were going FI no matter how much it cost, only to never post again or tell us a month later that they sold the car and bought something that was actually capable of what they wanted without dropping tens of thousands of dollars into it to get there. I'm telling you, if you really want to go FI, just sell the car and get something like a GTP or terminator that already has the blower and done factory reliable or get a pony or bowtie where somebody actually makes something that you can actualy buy and put on fairly easy with few problems and great reliability.

A few thoughts---

The AJ engine started out as a 'clean-sheet' design for the Jaguar and the Aston Martin. (They also put it in the Land rovers.) In those vehicles the available power is more than 500 HP or so depending on the vehicle. This additional power comes from a supercharger and detail improvements.

If searching for seriously elevated power it probably makes sense to go to the aftermarket for such things as rods and pistons and make improvements to the crankshaft support structure. But there is nothing inherent in the design to suggest that failure is assured if one reaches for more than 8 pounds of boost. One of the things that the Gentilozzis did while racing the Jaguars during the last go-round was to have blocks cast with a little extra material here and there, but they were seeking 'bullet-proof-ness' during the hammering of endurance racing. And since they used a dry-sump oiling system they simplified the oiling passages.

The economic down-turn of the last several years has slowed my plans considerably, but all the stuff, including a pair of turbos from a Ford 2.3, is still setting on the shelf and the plans still exist. Negative thinking and a 'can't-do-it' spirit won't get anyone anywhere. I still hold the record in E/F CC in ECTA racing.:)

KS

But there is nothing inherent in the design to suggest that failure is assured if one reaches for more than 8 pounds of boost.

except for the very high percentage of boosted motors around here that have popped...

yeah the main design of this motor may have had boosted VERSIONS in mind when it was engineered, but we don't have one of those variants. we have the most basic and cheap version pushed out there. you're always telling us how easy it is, but yet nobody every seems to get it done with the exception if an extremely few amount of guys (like count on one hand few...) of course with throwing enough money at it, everything is possible.

but honestly, at this point with the amount of money that is really required for what most people imagine, they would really be better off buying a better suited car for such a project.

Please recognize that we are on a forum mostly peopled by those whose focus is on a new disk player and a set of after-market wheels. Almost anything actually mechanical is scary. My last turbo project was run daily on the street while making about 25 PSI. My second blower project, long ago, also made between 20 and 30 regularly. The first blower project was a '54 Customline with a 'racy' version of the 312 blower 'bird engine pumping into dual quads. I built that one while in college and I'm old enough to be your grandfather.

The factory engine in my LS was making about 400 HP total to set the ECTA record. But the nitrous oxide with methanol fuel system I used to do it will add a total of about 450 by itself if I jetted it to do so. I set four records in two classes late in the day of the last meet of the year. Ten pounds of boost would produce about the same power. I don't spray every day but I do have six tanks so I don't have to go get a fill every week or so. And I've been doing it since '07.

You can listen to me or not. It's as you please. But don't say it can't be done simply because you haven't seen it. Boost is boost no matter what sort of compressor provides it. The block and crank will do just fine and the aftermarket will happily provide stronger stuff if you need it.

You can go back to the 'Land Speed LS' line in the HP section and look at the pictures of my GRP rods and Ross pistons. I paid $750 for the AJ engine on the stand in the storage. Some of these guys have more in their sound systems than I'll have in the non-stock parts to make 20+ PSI and have the engine live. And I'll include the existing spray on top of the boost.

KS

Fixed the TPS issue - the 1998 3.8L Mustang uses the same TPS as the T-bird SC but has the WPT-170 connector that the LS uses....
Hi Quik LS,
I had seen that SC blower on E bay several weeks past when bidding was @$600. That blower with my enjoyment I got from old MN-12 chassis T- Bird. I came close to bidding on it and even called my son to inform him I thought I found my project for my LS. I thought rotor blades needed to be redone for good seal if wanted performance it was built to give. I also have no experience in working with forced induction and my 2004 LS type VVT system. Had no idea if was even compatible. What I wanted to say was keep up great work and I know that there should be some Superchargers from old Super Coupe T-Birds from MN-12 chassis cars in yards across the US. The 1994 and 1995 blowers used different output design and should provide more power via increase flow than 1989 and up or early units. But am not sure. This may be perfect way to bring power increase for LS Sport Luxury Sedan owners are looking for. Not muscle car but Lincoln LS did not keep up improvements during short build run. I sincerely hope all goes well for you Quik. if you are buyer of that SC blower my 2 cents says was get idea for project that could become great addition for LS lovers that wish to improve performance but do NOT want 700HP muscle car. I will follow your work with enthusiasm. Maybe even learn a thing or two. Great idea Quik!

Hi Quik LS,
I had seen that SC blower on E bay several weeks past when bidding was @$600. That blower with my enjoyment I got from old MN-12 chassis T- Bird. I came close to bidding on it and even called my son to inform him I thought I found my project for my LS. I thought rotor blades needed to be redone for good seal if wanted performance it was built to give. I also have no experience in working with forced induction and my 2004 LS type VVT system. Had no idea if was even compatible. What I wanted to say was keep up great work and I know that there should be some Superchargers from old Super Coupe T-Birds from MN-12 chassis cars in yards across the US. The 1994 and 1995 blowers used different output design and should provide more power via increase flow than 1989 and up or early units. But am not sure. This may be perfect way to bring power increase for LS Sport Luxury Sedan owners are looking for. Not muscle car but Lincoln LS did not keep up improvements during short build run. I sincerely hope all goes well for you Quik. if you are buyer of that SC blower my 2 cents says was get idea for project that could become great addition for LS lovers that wish to improve performance but do NOT want 700HP muscle car. I will follow your work with enthusiasm. Maybe even learn a thing or two. Great idea Quik!

Quik's project died with his LS over 3 years ago; 3/12. I'll bet he hasn't been here since....

hes been on a few times since then... last nov (14) was his last log on.

Hi. Newbie here! Shannon John McDonough really. I bought a 2006 Lincoln ls v8 3.9l sport. I am about to replace thermostat and housing. Anyone know what else I'm Going to need? Part numbers please. And God Bless lincoln ls owners out there!

In common, both would need adequate cooling.

Members online

No members online now.
Back