SRB's, Spacer's and LCA's

DSC_0126_zps949cefdc.jpg

Damned good info. My 97 is on the hoist sitting behind me right now waiting to be put back together. I was able to reuse the original sleeves.

As told by Jeremi, take the front nut off and slide the strut rod out from the back. die-grind the front sleeve away from the front washer and the bushing will seperate.

I was able to clean the original up and grind the inner sleeve down to allow the front washer to slide back into the original position when tightening everything back down.

Just a hint.

Ok Fast ?. When you replace these do you need to bring for alignment after? I see the nut on the front part that can change length and push or pull wheel front to back.

Ok Fast ?. When you replace these do you need to bring for alignment after? I see the nut on the front part that can change length and push or pull wheel front to back.

Are you talking about the nut on the back of the front SR? I was wondering the same thing? If I don't move the back nut on the front of the SR and add The "home made" spacer, it will add .120" back farther! Will that matter?? Should I move that nut back .120" also?

Are you talking about the nut on the back of the front SR? I was wondering the same thing? If I don't move the back nut on the front of the SR and add The "home made" spacer, it will add .120" back farther! Will that matter?? Should I move that nut back .120" also?

Yes that's what i'm talking about. I thought I read there was a factory set up procedure for setting it?

Yes that's what i'm talking about. I thought I read there was a factory set up procedure for setting it?

You don't remember where do you?
I don't really want to move that nut if it doesn't matter! But I'm thinking if I don't it will put the LCA .120" back farther and then that will probably mess with my cam adjuster to wouldn't it? Or am I looking at this all wrong?
Will the alignment take care of the extra .120" back farther?

Last edited:
You don't remember where do you?
I don't really want to move that nut if it doesn't matter! But I'm thinking if I don't it will put the LCA .120" back farther and then that will probably mess with my cam adjuster to wouldn't it? Or am I looking at this all wrong?
Will the alignment take care of the extra .120" back farther?

I think if anyone would know it would be DLF. I think he wrote about it.

That nut adjusts caster.

While caster being out of spec won't cause wear issues with the tires, it WILL throw the camber and toe out with no readjustment.

Just get it put back together, and take it to a good alignment shop. I can't stand these 40$ alignment places because I've had multiple discount shops set the Camber and toe then leave the Caster alone because its not a wear issue.

End result is your front wheels not being centered in the wheel openings.

Last edited:
That nut adjusts caster.

While caster being out of spec won't cause wear issues with the tires, it WILL throw the camber and toe out with no readjustment.

Just get it put back together, and take it to a good alignment shop. I can't stand these 40$ alignment places because I've had multiple discount shops set the Camber and toe then leave the Caster alone because its not a wear issue.

End result is your front wheels not being centered in the wheel openings.

Thank you sir! That is the information I was looking for. It goes in for and alignment as soon as I'm done (lifetime alignment). I will make sure they adjust the caster and camber.

I kind of assumed an alignment would be necessary, just as it (still) is since replacing all my control arms and ball joints last spring. Not that I've done it yet! Things were put back into place as close as possible to the indexing marks that were made ahead of time. My tires are pretty trashed as it is, so whenever new rubber goes on, THEN the alignment is done....

When I did my LCA's and SRB's I tried to get everything as close as possible to where it was before I took it apart. But it didn't work :lol: It was so far outta whack that I had to turn the wheel 45 degrees to the right to keep the car going straight. And the caster was out on the p/s and the alignment shop didn't catch it and I had to take it back to them to get it redone. Personally, I would never just drive a vehicle after working on or replacing any suspension component that directly affects alignment. But that's just me.

The steering wheel is already at about 1-2 o'clock when driving in a straight line with the worn SRBs as it is. It'll all work out, the car is a trooper. :D

When I did my LCA's and SRB's I tried to get everything as close as possible to where it was before I took it apart. But it didn't work :lol: It was so far outta whack that I had to turn the wheel 45 degrees to the right to keep the car going straight. And the caster was out on the p/s and the alignment shop didn't catch it and I had to take it back to them to get it redone. Personally, I would never just drive a vehicle after working on or replacing any suspension component that directly affects alignment. But that's just me.

My align place is only 1 mile from my house. Get it close and go. LOL

My steering wheel has allway's been straight as an arrow, but the alignment shop is 20 mile's away, (don't want to tear up the tire's). This will either drive like it did before the new part's (and an alignment will be done....pronto!), or it will get towed to the shop. (Towing insurance....gotta love it!)

It's raining hard here right now and this was my weekend to TRY and fix this! For the last month (it's been sitting). I've been collecting part's, tools, information, making spacers, and I don't know what else! Everything is lay'd out, tool's part's and camera...:). This HAS got to happen!

My weekend start's tomorrow morning....see you there! (this morning I guess :))

Hope you guy's don't mind but I'm probably going to over do it with the pics!

Mother Nature seem's to be working against me this weekend with 40 degree weather and ice rain! (come on, give me a break)!

Dressed in winter cloth's I managed to get her up on jack stand's and take some pic's before stopping because of a possible problem!

Pic 1 and 2...up on jack stand's (doesn't look safe to me but WTH)!
Pic 3...LCA ball joint. (no knocking but a badly rotted boot, so it need's changed).
Pic 4,5 and 6...SRB's. (to the frame don't look bad at all. To the lower control arm's I hear a knock when I turn it all the way to the right or left). I bought all new bushing's so they all get changed! Can't wait to see if those "home made" spacer's work!
Pic 7...metric crescent wrench to hold strut rod flat as suggested!...:)
Pic 8,9 and 10...camber adjustment bolt and nut (marked).

Doe's it look like my Camber Adjustment on the front (the nut) side is broke???
Will this be a problem? Should I get a new set?

Dealer can't get one...AZ can't get one...O'reilly's can't get one. My only choice is rock auto, another week away since I'm only able to work on this on the weekend.

Jack Stands (1).jpg

Jack Stands (2).jpg

Ball Joint (1).jpg

SRB (1).jpg

SRB (2).jpg

SRB (3).jpg

Wrench.jpg

Cam Adjuster (1).jpg

Cam Adjuster (2).jpg

Cam Adjuster (3).jpg

I would replace it. You can probably get by reusing it until you get the new one, but definitely replace it before the alignment.

You can tell why it broke by looking at the flat side of the threaded portion of the bolt. That should be pointing to the thickest portion of the cam washer.

By the way, did you try Advance? I think I may seem them available there. Could be wrong though. Also, it's the same for the Thunderbirds. You could try the junkyards too. If you have a pull-a-part type yard around you, it would probably even be free...

I think they over tightened it back in 94 (probably been that way ever since). Let me take a pic of the oppisite side of the same adjuster and I'll call Advanced at the same time.

Sorry for the dirtiness but everything has been soaking in PB Blaster for the last week.
It look's like it's broke all the way through! I have a feeling if I take it apart if will fall apart in my hand's, and the alignment shop still has to do whatever they do to it also.
I probably should get another set for both sides shouldn't I???

Just called Advanced Auto and they said It is an order item, but at least it's closer than a week away at $22 per side. They said they can get one here tomorrow by 8am and the other Sunday.
There 20 miles away but at least this project look's like it will be going forward this week end! :) and not waiting another frick'n week!

Cam Adjuster (4).jpg

Cam Adjuster (5).jpg

Members online

Back