Spring Conversion

Hey, thats the guy from Muscle Car... he was always my favorite host. Great find! Wow... he's doing it on the floor and with no air tools... ick! I am in the process of watching this video as I keep editing my post, but I can't believe he doesnt even have an electric impact or something. Dang, and no ratcheting wrenches at that!

Instructions? I always thought those were good fire starting papers ...cuz I'm THAT guy

I am new to Mark viii's: this appears to be a fairly straight forward conversions and makes perfect sense from a proactive rationale. Do most enthusiasts do this conversion (or have it done if they are less than mechanically inclined)?

I am new to Mark viii's: this appears to be a fairly straight forward conversions and makes perfect sense from a proactive rationale. Do most enthusiasts do this conversion (or have it done if they are less than mechanically inclined)?

You will find on this site that this subject tears us apart. Those that abide by the air ride, those that have converted & loved it. I have yet to hear of anyone that has converted & hated it though.

The spring conversion sounds like it work's, I don't know! I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them. I'll probably give it a try when the air ride parts are no longer available or are to hard to get.
I always thought that a Mark VIII isn't a Lincoln without the air ride, but again that's only my thought!

You will find on this site that this subject tears us apart. Those that abide by the air ride, those that have converted & loved it. I have yet to hear of anyone that has converted & hated it though.

[url]http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=83323[/URL]

This is just one of many threads where people are bitching about their conversion. Now can you have a good conversion? Sure...but these simple kits out here ain't the answer. Those that have them can say they are but in reality, it's bullchit. You have to get the right shocks, the right springs and then you might have the exact ride "you" want. Then after 10 years, how well do you think those springs and shocks are going to hold up. They too will wear out, just like an OEM air shock would. This isn't aimed at you Alex, this goes for everyone that converts over and thinks they have escaped the air ride dilema. Well, maybe you did but you didn't escape the spring that will weaken. The shocks that will end up failing. You're gonna have to buy more sooner or later. A conversion is not a lifetime fix! The only thing someone can say that has converted is "I don't have to worry about my air ride failing anymore" and yes, that's right. I just bought new air shocks and I can say that I don't have to worry about them failing for at or around 15 years. Are those springs and shocks going to make it for 15 years? I highly doubt it. "The few" with the bad ass Koni's in the front..... They don't make them anymore. What are you going to do when their shot? Ain't no lifetime warranty on something that is discontinued. This is why I have bought new Motorcraft air shocks. I have seen first hand how long they last and the rears last even longer, or most do anyway. I'm getting new rears and already have new fronts and going to get a spare compressor from Eddie, just in case. I think I'll be more than set for the life of that car. The only other thing that can really fail is the air tubing itself and there is no shortage of that. Air ride module. I have another one of those, maybe two.

I'm just saying, I had the 94 with original air on it and it didn't start leaking in the front till late 2009 and then it was gone for good in Jan 2010. That's 15 years of air ride service that car provided. The rear never failed!

The current 95 had Gen 2 air shocks from a 97 I believe, maybe a 98, so that's 14 years of air ride service one air bag gave. The other one was fine and had no cracks. I don't know how they were treated before I got them but I do know how I'll treat mine now. I even sent the good one off to a member here and I guarantee he gets at least two years or more out of it and if he see's this thread, he will verify what I'm saying.

When I see a Mark for sale and I see that it's had a conversion done on it, I turn the page. To me, it's not a Mark VIII anymore. Might look like one but it don't ride like one. Anyone on here that has seriously installed new Motorcraft air shocks can not say anything bad about them, except they cost them a little bit of money that they didn't like spending. I'm doing it twice in the front but one set will be put away in the closet. Rears will only be bought once. Compressor from Eddie will be bought once. The one I have now is from him and only 2 1/2 years old, going on 3 and I bet I out last all of the converted cars on here, just on this one set of air shocks, compressor and rear bags.

Nearly all of you have seen how long and original air shock will last. Do I have this correct? It varies between 13 to 17 years and you know this. Gen 1 air shocks suck anyway but they lasted.

You have ibach springs that people swear by, bilstein shocks, Koni, Monroe front kits, a couple with the Koni kits (discontinued) Tokico shocks and all these other brands that you can put together to get a good ride, or what you consider a good ride and if that's what you like, I'm all for it. Your money and your car and the same goes for me, it was my money and it's my car. Koni has discontinued what's supposed to be what a lot of people want on here, for a reason. Some of the others will also do the same and so will Motorcraft. They have already stopped making them. I thought 2008 was the last year but I did get one that was made in 2010. So really idk if they have even quit making them yet.

All I'm saying is that everyone doesn't need to assume that converting once was a lifetime decision. Sorry for the book but just telling it like I see it. Nothing lasts forever but a Motorcraft air shock lasts for 15 years. Seen it first hand personally and I see it on here. Proof enough for me.

Terry, I completely agree with you. The standard bag lasts, as you have stated approximately 15 years with standard use. Could you imagine what will happen now. We know how they fail and why they fail and we will now do preventitive maintenance on them. Now how long will they last? Look at what was happening, they were a part under the car that did not get any type of maintenance so now I bet with the bags being cleaned properly and conditioned I can see them lasting a great deal longer.

Only time will tell.

My original front bags lasted a good 14 years and 170K, the rear bags are still good and are 18 years old and 192K now.
I agree with NoLimit...The air ride is easy to work on and I wouldn't trade it for anything while parts are still available.

let me first say, that either way when complete will satisfy most people and last for a while. the reason i and most people convert is it became an issue as a daily driver with several different sensors going bad at different times, not sure if you'll have to reoplace an air bag later, cost, and time wise it was a no brainer to just take it all out and sap to springs because there were no more electric do-dads to go wrong afterwards, an air pump, etc.and if i ever decided to go back to air i could, but since driving on springs i cant see why. the only thing is performance. when you swap out a basic kit your still left with a spongy ride. if you want something better you still can do that as kirk researched for his application and did. the #1 reason for swithcing is most people have no idea whats wrong with their air ride and taking it to someone can be really expensive especially when they know you know nothing about it. strutmasters is exactly that a cheap quick reliable fix, for the price of one, naybe 2 if your lucky airbags.

I thought this was an Enthusiasts site..why do I keep seeing postings for some of the crappiest parts you can buy for any car.

Strutmasters, MasterPro, Duralast...WHY!!!! If you're going to spend good money on these stuffs..I've got a fresh box of Poo ready to ship in case your comode is empty

You buy what you can afford ... many on this site can't afford to bring the Mark back to stock with air ride. So you do what you can.

I've never had any problems with Strutmasters ... as they were also supported by Eddie and I don't give a :q:q:q:q what anyone thinks of Eddie he's been a great support of this site with his work and products.

Anyway isn't the guy who did the video the guy who have videos of his mark with trailer balls on his mark sparking down the hwy.

See what did I tell you... DON'T GO THERE! In the end, you have to do what YOUR "pocket" tells you to do. My pocket told me to convert on BOTH of my Marks. I am happier than a Turd Burglar at Fantasy Fest!

See what did I tell you... DON'T GO THERE! In the end, you have to do what YOUR "pocket" tells you to do. My pocket told me to convert on BOTH of my Marks. I am happier than a Turd Burglar at Fantasy Fest!

lol indeed! This subject does seem to have its supporters and detractors. My air ride is doing fine currently but when the time comes, as my driver, I will make the conversion. As stated above, the option to change back is always there in the future as this is a reversible operation :D

Might look like one but it don't ride like one.

I've already addressed this theory:

The car rides Awesome. The front Tokico Blues are a very well designed and valved shock. The front end does not porpoise at all even when braking and it takes bumps in the road like a car on air. To be honest you would never know it is on springs by driving it. ;)

I'm almost tempted to say that my car rides BETTER than it did on air.

Kinda like putting a Gen 1 nose on a Gen 2?

How is a gen1 nose an inferior part to a Gen2...it's just different.

A Gen1 nose is still a Lincoln part, and for the most part could still be a direct bolt up, given proper intake fitment

A cosmedical swap by no means is the same thing as installing cheap a$$ suspension components

How is a gen1 nose an inferior part to a Gen2...it's just different.

A Gen1 nose is still a Lincoln part, and for the most part could still be a direct bolt up, given proper intake fitment

A cosmedical swap by no means is the same thing as installing cheap a$$ suspension components

If I had a Gen 2, I would prefer a Gen 1 nose to be on it. Never liked the looks of the Gen 2 nose but that's just me and apparently some others feel the same way because they have done the Gen 1 nose conversions and anyway, I agree with the upper last sentence. Well, now down below has nothing to do with suspension.

Members online

No members online now.
Back