Mike's one size fits all C-head and steering related questions for noobs.

Just a tip on pricing for the parts needed to do the column mod for cobra manifolds, buying the parts from the Summit website is almost 40 bux cheaper than. Using on their eBay store.

And I have a question, as I am buying up the parts to do this swap as we speak, however I was curious. The stock rag joint is male on one end and female on the other. I was under the impression that the male end was only a short piece of the DD shaft that is shown as needed to install into the new joint. My question is, can that piece be removed from the old joint or is it physically part of the old rag joint?

Edit: I looked back at Stock joint on page 2 and the pictures I have of the oil pan job I did. It does not appear to be removable. I swear I had read that you could use the old stub from the old joint.

ill take the noob shot even though its a little late for that some small questions that need to be addressed...
1. throttle cable frome where or does stock work
2. cruise box obviously has to be relocated
3. the headers still work im told
4. the fuel rails, setup for return? and what had to be done to connect the stock supply to rail? custom one off hose?
those are all i can think of, thanks for your help i know you have a -6 line front to back but im not running a s/c syock fuel supply sufficient?
the annoying noob!

Not annoying.

You could use the stock fuel system if you can figure all the plumbing for the return style fuel setup.

I did'nt have to relocate cruise either.

That throttle cable came from a 99, V10 F250.

Stock manifolds WILL work, but you'll be choking any setup you bring to the table. Cobra manifolds are the way to go.

Mike

so i basically have to swap to a returnless system.so what did you change the pump run one -6 line to regulator then to rails or can you plug off the return,isnt there a big difference in pressure?
i was going to take my block 1 got a price for 1000 to bore .030 and rebuid, marauder headed with my comp cams and the mach 1 intake with shaker. i will need the marauder timing cover, yes.
and alternator.
ive already got the kooks headers in there so if they're able to bolt they're goin in.
unless you can find me a marauder motor cheap,the cheapest around here is 2000 with over 130,000 mi having mine shortblock done, aquiring heads is alot cheaper.for me anyways
Jason

I have them in stock, I can ship it when I return on Tuesday.

on your thread on lod you used cobra fuel rails because they are return style , for some reason i cant logon to see pics and the email login technique isnt working either. what year was the cobra intake 99-01? and can i use the fuel rails on the mach 1 intake. the other is to use the cobra intake anyways, its the same price, and will still work with the shaker.
as i respect your advice and knowledge should i rather use the 99-01 cobra intake or use the rails to the mach 1, also since its n/a the fuel pump and reg should be the same, you used 28" intake and 37" return and did you make them or from where were they made,and whats better how the :q:q:q:q do i login to lod?

You can use the Mark timing cover.

There are a few different ways to plumb fuel rails, but you'll stay return style. I don't even want to get into that untill you have a better idea on what you want.

It has to be sized properly or you'll either get too little fuel and long crank times when starting, or you'll get too much recirc back to the tank and heat the fuel pointlesly.

You obviously NEED to do more research. The cobra intake is THE SAME as the Mach1 intake. The only difference is that it lacks the cobra indention and emblem in the upper hat.

The shaker assy is nothing more than a pointless add on IMHO.

You can use the Mark timing cover.

There are a few different ways to plumb fuel rails, but you'll stay return style. I don't even want to get into that untill you have a better idea on what you want.

It has to be sized properly or you'll either get too little fuel and long crank times when starting, or you'll get too much recirc back to the tank and heat the fuel pointlesly.

You obviously NEED to do more research. The cobra intake is THE SAME as the Mach1 intake. The only difference is that it lacks the cobra indention and emblem in the upper hat.

The shaker assy is nothing more than a pointless add on IMHO.

i thank you for your support, although im not upon text lingo IMHO?
its just something thats so completely different i have to do it even if it doesnt add a single hp. when its all done by the time i'm 50!, it'll be sweeeeet
i i am going marauder headed, mach 1 intake, just obtained it. heads will be on the way next check unless you can help me find something cheap withyour vast knowledge and connections.first my trac loc and gears are going in next week as soon as ups drops it off! scheduled for delivery 6/5 cant wait.:cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Necromancing a long-dead thread as the title is 'Ultimate c-head swap'. I have the 97 MKVIII engine that will be receiving a set of '03 Aviator heads, 96 Cobra cams, and a mildly ported 96 Cobra intake with the 99 Conti adapters taking the place of the IRMC plates.

Other mods will be done as well, but since I am asking about the heads...........will the original MKVIII front engine plate (timing cover) bolt up to the C-heads? I have read both yes and no. Sadly, the Aviator I took the heads from is long-gone and if the B-plate won't bolt to the C-heads, I will have to source a C-plate.

the conti adapters will only work with a gen 1 intake. round ports.
chuck the 96 intake and go with a 99/01 cobra or 03/04 mach 1 intake.

and yes, the front cover will fit.

So, the 99 Conti adapters will not allow the 96-98 Cobra intake to fit down on C-heads?

So it appears I will have to get rid of the adapters and the 96-98 Cobra intake then................................................................................. so much for going stealth C-head.

Eh, stealth is overrated. So are adapters :)

BTW, I think you only want the intake cams, technically. I think the exhaust cams are the same. I forget, its been sooooo long. I just kept the stock Aviator cams since there really would have been no big benefit.

Cams came as a complete set so I snatched them up. I do believe that you are correct in the exhaust cams being the same (there was a cam chart here or over at LOD that had the cam profiles listed).

Guess my 96 Cobra intake goes up for sale today then!

yes, nearly all modular exhaust cams are the same. (except like the GT, FR500, GT500)
but i believe the cobra cams use 12 mm gear bolts instead of 10 mm bolts.
is it a failure point? not really, but its piece of mind for some people.

Members online

Back