Lincoln LS Detail

For the price of the Collinite 845 this stuff is very nice! A little goes a long ways. If you have a Harbor Freight near by they sell the 845.

For the price of the Collinite 845 this stuff is very nice! A little goes a long ways. If you have a Harbor Freight near by they sell the 845.

They sell collinite down at the marina about a minute walk from my shorehouse. They sell everything but 845 Insulator Wax. I was very depressed when I found this out.

I don't know if this would be considered off topic or not, but what do you guys use to give your chrome wheels (if you have chrome) a quick wipe down between washes? I have been using glass cleaner but I'm not sure if that might be bad for the chrome?

:confused:

This is a thread for general detailing HDDave. I'm sure KD will welcome your question.

I used to do the same with my stockers. I would then do a quick follow up with a quick detail. I'm sure KD will have something better in mind though.

HDDave, I think you answered it yourself when you said quick. If you want to use something easy between washes then use a Quick Detailer. There are many brands out there, and you're going to want to use a good one if you plan on using it to encapsulate and remove dirt. The best form of QD is something called a waterless wash system. I believe we brushed up on it somewhere along the line, but you are going to want to pick that up if you just want to wipe the wheels down.

Look at...
Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (Spray and Gloss could also be used, but is not as good)
Chemical Guys One Waterless Car Wash
Optimum No Rinse
Finish Kare 425 (if the car isn't too dirty, this is just a QD)

The main goal of these quick detailers is to encapsulate the dirt and surface contamination so it does not mar the paint, and it can be whisked off the surface. When using these products, do not scrub, it is more of a dragging motion.

Another important aspect of quick detailing is the prevention beforehand. This will also help prevent marring and it will also make it a lot easier (I mean ALOT) to remove dirt and contamination. You might want to coat your wheels after a thorough wash with a wheel or paint sealant. Regular car wax will not hold up to the temperature of the brakes and wheels. Look at...

DP Wheel Glaze
Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
Wheel Wax
Regular Paint Sealant (Klasse, Zaino, Chemical Guys: You tend to want to use the cheaper and longer lasting types because of the cost and because it's just your wheels and not your paint and they get dirtier faster with harsher contaminants)

Hope this helps.

Whats the outcome of using glass cleaner on chrome?

I always thought chrome could hold up to it as long as its not a harsh type of cleaner.

If I remember correctly, chrome is very sensitive to the types of cleaners and polishes you use on it. Anything not formulated for chrome can potentially make it lift and discolor. I can't say for sure that glass cleaner would do this, but is it worth the chance? Plus, with the waterless wash you'll be using a better product anyway.

Cool - thanks for the info.

I figured the glass cleaner wasn't very good for it but I hadn't seen any quick detailers specifically for wheels/chrome. Looks like I'll be buying MORE products :rolleyes:

Just ordered this stuff for the wheels. Thanks for the heads up, KD.

http://www.wheelwax.com/

Ah I wish you woulda asked first. I think the DP and Poorboy's is a little better. Either way, you'll be satisfied with that stuff. It helps so much. If it comes in like a cream/jelly substance, make sure you barely use any. I mean BARELY. If it's anything like DP Wheel Glaze you barely have to apply any for great protection, plus it's a bitch to take off if you put too much on.

Yeah, that's ok. Figured I'd give it a try to see how it does. Anything has to be better than what's on there now (aside from massive brake dust from the EBC pads)......nothing!

Yikes... Make sure to clay the wheels with an aggressive clay before application. Polish too if you have it.

LOL...they're not THAT bad. I mean, I did wash the car last weekend. It's just that these EBC pads kick out a lot of dust.

LOL...they're not THAT bad. I mean, I did wash the car last weekend. It's just that these EBC pads kick out a lot of dust.

That's not what I mean. If you have contaminants under the layer of sealant they can slowly eat away at the finish and also affect the longevity and performance of the wheel sealant. Leveling the clear coat/finish and prepping it properly also helps longevity, and obviously it will shine more.

http://www.fk1usa.com/testimonials/Car Wash Magazine March 2003.pdf

But if you still think you're ok, you go ahead and do that :rolleyes:

I understand that, ya douche nozzle. :p They'll be cleaned before they're waxed. What I'm getting at is these brake pads create a lot of dust compared to the stockers, which makes my wheels look black chrome instead of chrome. I'm curious to see how much easier it'll be to clean them after they're waxed.

I understand that, ya douche nozzle. :p They'll be cleaned before they're waxed. What I'm getting at is these brake pads create a lot of dust compared to the stockers, which makes my wheels look black chrome instead of chrome. I'm curious to see how much easier it'll be to clean them after they're waxed.

Haha ok, you'll be impressed I think. I've never used Wheel Wax though.

If I remember correctly, chrome is very sensitive to the types of cleaners and polishes you use on it. Anything not formulated for chrome can potentially make it lift and discolor. I can't say for sure that glass cleaner would do this, but is it worth the chance? Plus, with the waterless wash you'll be using a better product anyway.

Actually, chrome in general, and in particular the chrome on a car wheel, is quite resistant to most chemicals. It is certainly resistant to all the glass cleaners I'm aware of.

Consider this: Wheel cleaners that are formulated specifically for chrome often have a label that says they should not be used on other types of wheel finishes, such as painted wheels. Why is that? Well, its because these chrome wheel cleaners contain acid, which do a great job of removing wheel grime and brake dust, but do not harm the chrome finish. And, of course, the acid in a chrome wheel cleaner can cause damage to painted surfaces.

Glass cleaners, on the other hand, do not contain any acid. Many of the newer formulations, such as Stoners, use alcohols which are great for cleaning glass since the alcohols evaporate quite quickly and leave no streaks. Speaking as a chemist, those alcohols will not harm a chrome finish at all. At worst, some glass cleaners contain ammonia (e.g., Windex, etc.), but even Windex says it is safe on chrome:

Thanks to its key ingredient, Ammonia-D ®, Windex ® Original works great for fast and easy cleaning of tough dirt and grime. Use it on glass, mirrors, chrome, plastic, stainless steel, and other surfaces in your kitchen, living room, patio, bedroom, bathroom, and car — everywhere you want a streak-free shine!

Using a glass cleaner to shine up a wheel (after its been washed of course) is just fine!

Good info Todd. I guess I didn't wanna take a chance with it. I figure what's formulated for what is best for it or else it wouldn't be mixed like that. Good info, I wish I made it past freshman year chemistry major so I could have some more input. Even so, I wanted to aim more towards prevention with my post. Thanks again.

Well I went ahead and ordered some PoorBoys Wheel Sealant as well as Spray & Wipe Waterless and a few other things from AutoGeek so I should be safe from now on when I clean my wheels...

But thanks ToddG at least now I don't feel like I did any real damage to my wheels from the glass cleaner. That was my main concern for posting here.

Thanks for all the good info in this thread! :Beer

Make sure to post some pics and let us know how the products worked out for you.

any good tips on cleaning my seatbelt? it is suppose to be tan but when i bought the car 2 years ago the driver side one is closer to black.any products i can find at a local autozone or something?

Post pictures if you can...

Update, camera is dead but I will be posting pictures soon. Just used the FK425 quick detailer on my car and I'm very impressed. It accentuates the curves and bodylines of my car like I couldn't believe. People have compared it to a Zaino-type depth and shine, but obviously it is just a quick detailer and won't last nearly as long. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. First impressions, I'd recommend it.

Members online

Back