Lincoln LS Detail

I've contacted the guy that did that car, because he does a lot of work in my area and he's setting up an appointment to inspect my car. :D

... Were you the one that just had the one step polish done? I'm dying to see some pictures.

well i finally got around to detailing the whole car. yesterday was the interior today the exterior. 3 hours in to it after the clay bar and 1st coat of wax it starts to sprinkle on me :mad: well as soon as it stops im gonna put the polish on and snap some pics. im using the new mothers power ball for paint ant so far i like it. i used mothers clay bar and the new syn wax. im normally a fan of meguires but figured id try something new. i also tried eagle one nano-protectant its a cleaner and protectant in one but i only used it for the protectant. i liked it because it left it all feeling natural not slimy or sticky. for a degreaser i used la's totally awsome cleaner and degreaser. very impressed. well ill post some pics later on today.

p.s. i used that link and the way they suggested didnt quite work for me on the seatbelts. any other suggestions?

Update:

I think some of you were aware of the foam gun that I had, I did a writeup on it before. I have a new project, and I'm moving my way up to a foam cannon. It's essentially the same thing, but it's attached to a power washer. I'm importing the stuff from Italy. It covers the car in a shaving cream thick layer of soap and it sticks there until you want it off. I'll keep you posted.

A lot of the guys on detailing bliss are using that. I know you are one of them, don't try and hide...:shifty:

Update:

I think some of you were aware of the foam gun that I had, I did a writeup on it before. I have a new project, and I'm moving my way up to a foam cannon. It's essentially the same thing, but it's attached to a power washer. I'm importing the stuff from Italy. It covers the car in a shaving cream thick layer of soap and it sticks there until you want it off. I'll keep you posted.

:cool: I gotta see this.

I have some very minor scratches that look like spider webs sitting on the car, you can only see them from certain angles at sunset. I got the eagle one nano wax (not the spray version) with the microfiber cloth since it worked so well at removing water drop stains on black trim pieces between the front and back door windows. It left a deep black without an over-the-top amount of gloss. Will the nano wax restore the rest of the car this way?

I have typically used wax as you dry as a "hold over" between washes but it needs to be waxed for real now. What do I need to prep the car? The paint is clean with no tar or sap etc; is polish enough to clean the paint, or do I need to claybar first?

I see from the earlier posts that a Menzerna polish and a Collinite 845 wax would be a very good way to go, but I'd like to use the nano wax since I have it already and the other stuff is expensive.

Oh almost forgot, what should I use on the headlights since I heard there was an issue with Stoner's back a couple pages. They are a little dingy/ oxidized but clean up pretty well right after the wash. I've polished plastic lenses in the past, but then kept having to do it more and more frequently as if I took some coating off of it.

I think diamondite sells a headlight restoration kit that includes a plastic sealant. I'm not sure if a regular sealant would work on them, but Kyle might know.

As for minor scratches and spiderwebbing, you might need something with more cut than what you can get OTC, depending on the severity of the scratches. Also, you might consider getting a DA polisher to save you some energy and to get more consistent results.

Make sure you remove all protection (wax, sealant, etc.) and CLAYBAR (yes, this step is CRITICAL) before trying to remove swirls, or you'll just add more swirls to the ones you already have. Here's the order:

1) Proper wash and dry (maybe with Dawn to remove all protection already on the paint)

2) Claybar. You NEED to do this to remove potential swirl makers still stuck on the paint. More often you won't see them, but you can feel them by putting your hand in a plastic bag, and lightly running your fingertips over the paint.

3) Application of polishes. This is where you remove a micro thin layer of clear coat to even it out, and remove scratches. Depending on the polish, you might need to follow up with a finishing polish to remove micromarring/hazing created by a heavier cut polish.

4) Glaze. This is really the only optional step. It masks any of the imperfections left by filling them in.

5) Sealant.

6) Wax.

Do you have any experience with the nano wax? I don't expect it to be the best, but if it lasts a while, I'm happy.

What over the counter brands of polish, glaze and sealant do you recommend?

What glaze and sealant would you recommend if I went with the Menzerna polish and Collinite 845 wax?

Menzerna Ceramic Clear Coat Polish 106FF is what I just ordered. I'm using Poorboy's Super Swirl Remover 3, then the Menzerna 106FF. I'm not going to use a glaze, although Chemical Guys' EZ Creme Glaze was recommended to me. For Sealant, I'm going to use Poorboy's EX-P. On top of that, I'm goin to use Natty's red Paste Wax.

Thanks for the input. I dont have swirls thankfully. I'm cursed with being a perfectionist and a normal person wouldnt even notice the lines I'm talking about. Silver is good at hiding stuff.

I used the Wolfgang Headlight Restoration kit. It came with a plastic sealant to help maintain clarity.

... Were you the one that just had the one step polish done? I'm dying to see some pictures.

Yep, i just got it done last week I finally uploaded pictures.

these are just a couple favorites of mine:
IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

[befores]
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

[afters]
IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

[Engine detail]
IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

there are some more pictures in after the link, and pictures of the OTHER car he did the SAME DAY.
http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/xfaygox/Car%20Detail/

Quick tip. Most spider scratches occur during drying. I used a california water blade EXCLUSIVELY for drying and go horozintally on the hood, roof, and trunk. Verticalls on doors, fenders, quarter panels. it's whatever for the bumper covers. For any nooks I've missed? I use the Absorber. This prevents me from getting 95% of scratches/spiderwebs, etc..in the first place.

From that point forward? I simply claybar once per year, then Meguairs wax. Boom. Oh..it is garaged day and night, so that helps. 5.5 years and 100k miles later, she's STILL shining like new

Car looks great Rockstar. I'm in the process of getting that foam cannon, I can't wait.

Quick tip. Most spider scratches occur during drying. I used a california water blade EXCLUSIVELY for drying and go horozintally on the hood, roof, and trunk. Verticalls on doors, fenders, quarter panels. it's whatever for the bumper covers. For any nooks I've missed? I use the Absorber. This prevents me from getting 95% of scratches/spiderwebs, etc..in the first place.

well, it was obvious that the owner before me was a woman because the interior is spotless... you could eat off the floors if i'd let you eat in it.

However... the clear coat was beat to :q:q:q:q it looked like someone washed my car with a S.O.S, pad luckily it was all Clear coat damage and EASILY fixed. Deep Gloss really did a great job. The guy that did my car recommended a "Waffle Weave" pattern towel to dry the car because its clear coat safe and if there are ANY particles left they get trapped in the waffles preventing them from rubbing the clear coat.

I use a Jelly Blade in combination with quick detailer for lubrication and make sure the surface is contaminant free so not to marr the paint. I use a Cobra Waffle Weave towel, heavy duty. Awesome product, insane absorbancy. I'd definately recommend it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back