Land Speed LS

photobucket.com

register, and upload the pics there. After you upload the photos, highlight one by dragging the pointer over it. You will see 4 types of links underneath the picture. Then copy and paste the "IMG" link into a message here. When you post your message, instead of the link showing, it will show the picture instead.

use the 'post reply' button - not the Quick Reply. Then on the new screen, make you post, and click the 'click to upload photo' button.

A new small window will appear, the allow several photos to be selected off your computer and uploaded. Click on 'browse', find your photo and click it. then you can add more by filling in each line. once you're done, click 'upload'.

then click 'close window' and you are back at your posting screen. then click 'submit reply'.

yes, that works too. But you then have to resize your photos, and I've experienced terrible degradation in quality.

Either way, I'd like to see pics too!

New Rod and Piston

GRP Rod and Ross Piston Picture trial (I thought the picture was already sized. I'll get it soon!
KS

Shouldn't that one post read when does a street car become a race car? Not when does a race car become a street car? Seeing how the LS started as a daily driver street car. I think once you need a parachute on a car and fuel cells you have stepped pass an everyday street car. Those are for safety for the most part and your average car doesn't go anywhere near the speed needed for those. But it's nice to have a car like that on the street. Will your state allow a car like that to be registered and pass inspection? And I assume it still has doors you can slam? Would love to see some pics.

Here's the pic cammerfe emailed to me...

DSC_0018.gif

Street-Race Race-Street

Shouldn't that one post read when does a street car become a race car? Not when does a race car become a street car? Seeing how the LS started as a daily driver street car. I think once you need a parachute on a car and fuel cells you have stepped pass an everyday street car. Those are for safety for the most part and your average car doesn't go anywhere near the speed needed for those. But it's nice to have a car like that on the street. Will your state allow a car like that to be registered and pass inspection? And I assume it still has doors you can slam? Would love to see some pics.

Re-read what I wrote. I don't drive around with the 'Chute on the car. On the other hand, there's usually some methanol in the cell and an almost full bottle in the trunk. Still has all four doors. Go way back to the first few entries in this thread and see some pictures.
KS

PS Thanks for the helping hand pektel!!! KS

Nice piston, Camm wasn't sure if these were new add ons. But Still would love to see any new progress pics. If you don't mind me asking how much do you have wrapped up in the drive train.

$$$$$

Nice piston, Camm wasn't sure if these were new add ons. But Still would love to see any new progress pics. If you don't mind me asking how much do you have wrapped up in the drive train.

Because I have the connections I enjoy with my manufacturer/sponsors, it's a little hard to give an accurate figure. Duplication of the finished product would probably cost 20K-25K over the price of the basic vehicle. Speed costs, how fast to yah wanna go? :) :) :) :) :) :)
KS

Well you can go fast for far less money, but I don't know what the rules are you need to follow. As far as if you need to keep the air bag and other features. I know its not the same build as say a 10 second strip car, just don't know all the differences in your rule book, might have to get one looks like some interesting reading. If you ever wanna sell thos KAOS rims let me know.

Keep in mind that this is, and will be, my daily driver. I'm using full-blown race parts in the engine so as to have the strength to successfully make a thousand horsepower or more when I have the boost turned up past 30 PSI and I'm spraying at maximum capacity. Factory rods and pistons simply wouldn't stand the strain.

But off boost, and with the spray turned off, the engine will be very docile.
KS

Cam youve successfully sprayed a 150shot into the 3.9 without doing internal work correct? If so please shoot me a message on how it reacted, Im thinking of spraying a 150 wet shot but running 105 octane. Build looks great so far, Ive been reading along over the past months, I just dont remember all the specifics.

When I first put the spray on my car, I used a ZEX kit and tried as much as a 150 shot on the street. When I started going to Maxton, I was quickly introduced to NX and when I installed the "Pro 300" kit, I also put in a completely separate fuel system to go with it, and I run methanol in the cell in the trunk. With this combo, I've never run, to this point, more than a nominal '100' pill for the nitrous oxide. My upgraded components from NX will flow enough to enable me to use a 400 HP shot. Obviously, I won't do so until I install the new engine including the GRP rods and Ross pistons. For what it's worth, I believe the stock rods and pistons would handle a 150 shot. Factory AJ engines are currently making 500+ horsepower. So far as I know, they use cast pistons and powdered-metal rods. I would be sure to use a good tune with the elevated levels of spray.
KS

Comparison

The current issue of Hot Rod Magazine has an excellent article regarding ECTA land speed racing at Maxton, NC. And, most importantly, the body of the article has a number of photos of cars and the speeds they've achieved. By studying the various published speeds along side the record in E/F CC, 140.106 MPH, currently held by us under the Ben's Place Racing Team label, it's possible to make an evaluation of LS performance as compared to others. We don't look too bad!!
KS

Although I read the referenced article, I must have just skimmed it. It was brought to my attention this afternoon that of the 16 cars pictured in the article, we went faster than 11 of them. This includes a 440-powered '60's Mopar muscle car and a Mustang Bullett. All the cars in the article that went faster than we did are pure, dedicated race cars. I drive mine most days. It had over 100K miles on the clock when we set the records. It's easy to see why I'm an LS fan!!!
KS

Nice! And yes I plan on getting a custom tune via myself, next paycheck Im ordering the SCT Pro Tuner package so that I can make my own flashes.

Been too busy to do anything on the engine. Did have to replace the alternator over this past weekend.
KS

Thanks for your interest. Because I'm in process of writing a series of articles on the LS work for another site I'll probably not post pictures or 'hard tech' here. When discussions are complete I'll post links!
KS

Thanks for your interest. Because I'm in process of writing a series of articles on the LS work for another site I'll probably not post pictures or 'hard tech' here. When discussions are complete I'll post links!
KS

I feel like I just got stood up on prom.. LAME!

New Year Wish

First---a wish for all of you that you have a happy new year!

And then:

I feel like I just got stood up on prom.. LAME!

Stick around and you'll be able to use this thread for a gateway to an entire build-up. Little by little we're getting closer to the first Maxton meet of the year---in May. Gotta get the fresh engine all together, installed and a good safe tune in it. I'm also trying to get a new business up and running.

It's gonna be fun!
KS

Update

At the moment I'm waiting for engine internals. You'll remember that I'm using a 4 litre Jag engine as the replacement for my 140 thousand mile 3.9 '02 engine. And due to the way these engines are serviced, it's necessary to get parts from England. They just aren't available here.

At the present, I'm focusing on front shocks. Present plans are to make use of a set of new Koni double-adjustables I've had setting on the shelf for several years. They were ordered for an application that made the coil-over layout unnecessary---I was using a transverse fibreglas leafspring in that case. I'll now need to put the adjustment sleeves and collars on them to make it possible to mount the springs right on the shock bodies. The bottoms of the shocks have ring mounts that will accept bushings that'll fit them to the existing LS lower mounts. We'll need to remove the LS tapered-coil springs and the mounts that bolt to the unibody under the plastic domes in the engine compartment. And it'll be necessary to fabricate replacement upper mounts that'll extend down far enough to make up the difference in length between the LS pieces and the Konis. The trick will be to make the fabrications stiff enough to do their jobs while still making them light enough to be less heavy than the combination of the existing upper mount and coil spring.

Now the question---Does anyone in the Metro Detroit area have shocks they've removed from the front of a First Gen LS? Such an item would be of signal benefit to enable taking measurements and such. Worn out, of course, is just fine. Please leave me a message here or call me at 734 306 6362. Thanx !!
KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back