Land Speed LS

Coil progress

How is your incursion into aftermarket coils coming along?
I have a source that's in process of supplying me with a 'dead' coil so as to have one for comparison to be able to have proper attachments. The 'stem' will probably be longer and the coil body will stick up. This will make it impossible to put the oblong cover back on, but will provide the use of the threaded brass inserts as fastening points to keep the coils in position. And they'll run cooler too.

Dry Sump

After several hours of discussion with my Crew Chief and a number of 'phone calls, I've decided to convert my AJ27 Jaguar engine to use a dry-sump oiling system.
I have the benefit of a number of sponsors for this project who are willing to provide the hard parts and counsel, and not only my own shop, and Ben's, but also others who can be counted on for experienced thinking and fabricating assistance.

For a simple explanation, a dry sump oiling system uses a pan at the bottom of the engine that's designed with several ports along the passenger side located so that suction will pull the oil away from the engine. It's then pumped into a separate tank designed to remove any air that's been 'beaten' into it by the activity of the engine parts as they move. The oil is next pumped back from the tank to the engine. The pump is external to the engine and usually driven by a toothed-belt system.
The pump is made up of several sections---usually 3 to 5, all of which are suction units except one to provide pressure. Drawing the oil away from the engine keeps it from causing drag, or 'windage'. The lack of windage drag, and the removal of the air entrained into the oil, along with the vacuum pulled in the crankcase with its attendant drag reduction, altogether will provide 30 to 50 extra horsepower in a V-8 engine.
The major drawbacks are the complexity, including the hoses back and forth, and the extra room and weight involved due to a ten pound pump and mounts and a remote tank (in the trunk) that contains, including the hoses, more than two gallons of oil---for a total of 12 to 16 quarts.
On the other hand, I'll be able to connect one suction section to the turbos instead of needing the electric pumps otherwise used to return oil after it goes through remote turbo bearings.
Gee, I'm having fun!
KenS from Ben's Place

I have a source that's in process of supplying me with a 'dead' coil so as to have one for comparison to be able to have proper attachments. The 'stem' will probably be longer and the coil body will stick up. This will make it impossible to put the oblong cover back on, but will provide the use of the threaded brass inserts as fastening points to keep the coils in position. And they'll run cooler too.

yay! updates on coils! cuz i'm pretty sure mine are going!

Coil update

I think I'll have a dead sample in hand tomorrow!
KS

Small glitch---the guy who had a sample coil for Accel to work from had just cleaned up his junk area and dumped everything. I'm making alternate arrangements and will have more info within the week.
KenS from Ben's Place

Small glitch---the guy who had a sample coil for Accel to work from had just cleaned up his junk area and dumped everything. I'm making alternate arrangements and will have more info within the week.
KenS from Ben's Place

fine by me i can't afford to have my coils checked until next week's paycheck anyway :D

My thanks to Dave for his help in posting the above pictures. The tech folks at AT&T tell me there is some sort of glitch between my primary email system and my Photoshop software that seems to be causing the problem.

KenS from Ben's Place

are you using at&t browser ?

Photo glitches

are you using at&t browser ?
AT&T system and modem through Windows Internet Explorer by Yahoo. Sure would be nice to be able to use my Photoshop 4. Can't even email individual pictures now, as I did to Dave for the photos in the beginning of this thread.
KenS

Glad to hear things are still moving forward. Spring is almost here :D

Progress

Got the block back from the machine shop. Close examination and some measuring helped us come to the conclusion that 'touch-honing' was all that was necessary. This provides a proper surface to break in the rings. Block remains standard bore size. Sleeves are very tough---had to use 'whisker' cutter to provide the cross-hatch.

Now another wait for the pistons. More info soon.
KenS from Ben's Place

I have actually been using Motoblue 60,000 volt coil packs from a 03 Mustang GT without any problems whats so ever...

DSC00215.JPG

DSC00212.JPG

Alternate COP sources

I have actually been using Motoblue 60,000 volt coil packs from a 03 Mustang GT without any problems whats so ever...
VERY valuable information!!!! Thanks much for your post. How long have you been using that combo? (It's been suggested that there's the possibility of water getting into the plug wells and causing difficulty.) And as an aside, what all have you done to your engine?
KenS from Ben's Place

I've been using these coils for about 8 or so months now. As for the water geting into the spark plug wells, it only happens with a hard rain, and even then its not to bad. As for engine mods.. P&P Heads,TB,Upper Intake Plenum, Deleted EGR, Full 2.5" Exhaust with Test Pipes, 125 Wet Kit, SCT, Deleted Hydro Fan, Pump, and Lines, 3,000CFM Elec Fan, Custom Cold Air Intake, Motoblue Coils, and ALOT of Transmission Work

What kind of transmission work did you do (i see "a lot" in your list of mods)?
Your engine stays together with the 125 shot? I feel a little more comfortable now- I'm in the middle of installing 100 shot progressive. Kits good for 125 so maybe after a fuel pump, and a year of non-grenading runs, I'll jump up. Could you PM me general comments about the hydraulic fan removal? P/N and electrical, method.
Thanks!

As for the Trans its a Level 10 Animal Kit, i have a custom made 2800 stall, a larger trans cooler, and a deep sump trans pan from a 05 GT (with dipstick)

for the nitrous im using a progressive control aswell it ramps up to a 125 at 5k

Update on coils

At this time, I plan to use the '03 Mustang GT coils as seen in the pictures above by empirels. I'll be using Accel as the source and installing as shown. The only drawback is the lack of the covers normally in place. On the other hand, since I'm under the hood regularly, removal of the covers makes it easy to inspect for oil seepage and the coils will run cooler. I may make some sort of cap around the coil extension in order to make the installation more like that which is to be found in other central plug, hemisphere-style engines.
More comment soon!
KenS from Ben's Place

the only issue is to keep the rain water out - common issue for the Gen2 LSes was the trim at the rear of the hood allowed water to come off the windshield, down the cowl and then into the COP area.

The GMS folks created a 'spacer' (like a 1/2" gasket) that help use the stock COP cover clear the larger coils. It should be possible to do the same thing for the LS.

the only issue is to keep the rain water out - common issue for the Gen2 LSes was the trim at the rear of the hood allowed water to come off the windshield, down the cowl and then into the COP area.

The GMS folks created a 'spacer' (like a 1/2" gasket) that help use the stock COP cover clear the larger coils. It should be possible to do the same thing for the LS.
Thanx for the input. I'll be exploring all ways to make this addition 'user-friendly'.
KS

4.6 4V coil covers measure pretty much the same size as the LS covers. May allow use of the spacers with some modification to the mounting.

Spray Controller

As many of you know, one of my major sponsors is NX. Their help has made it possible for me to set the land speed records at Maxton. I received an email today to announce the availability of the new controller from NX. Needless to say, there's one on the way to me. Now to get it in before the next race weekend!!
KenS from Ben's place:D

i'm doing my controller this weekend too. good luck!

Question for EmpireLS

In the ongoing discussion concerning the use of Mustang COPs, the suggestion was made that it was necessary to change the boots to get the aftermarket coils to fit. Was this also your experience? Thanx!!
KenS from Ben's Place

Members online

Back