I think Tux hates me :....(

Wait MsM8,

I didn't say that was your problem - I just said I HAVE had problems with fan motors. Replacing mine always fixed the problem (even the old ones), but they all eventually failed again - that's all I'm sayin'.

I had problems with my TBird overheating and the only thing that solved it's problem was to replace my radiator with a 2003 Cobra radiator.

hummmm - i will start with the new fan (hopefully it's cheaper) then if my boy overheats again, I will look at radiators... but winter is gonna come...and he will have get put away....

sorry Rick, didn't mean to misunderstand you... it's just something I do.....why can't a diag do a true diag!

your and one after that....

I forget the name of the thermostat - the box and the old one are in Tux right now and he is still at the dealers I am ordering anothre motor for the fan. Gonna put it in tomorrow at the dealership to drive him home, or see fif they want to do more tests. I should have them do more tests... its not the fan something is blowing it.

hummmm - i will start with the new fan (hopefully it's cheaper) then if my boy overheats again, I will look at radiators... but winter is gonna come...and he will have get put away....

sorry Rick, didn't mean to misunderstand you... it's just something I do.....why can't a diag do a true diag!
If you have not already, I would replace the water pump as well. It is insanely easy and something I have done on all of the Mark VIII's I have owned.

Remove your thermostat. Run it without a stat and see if it overheats. If it doesn't put a MOTORCRAFT stat in it and your problems will be solved. I'll bet money it's your stat.

Yup, right there in the pull up area of Bob Boyd Lincoln Mercury I changed the fan, (indoors, tile floor, glass doors...dribbled a little antifreeze on the floor cause the dang left side wouldn't make it past the hose.. but I but a bag down to catch it ;). We let him sit and idle for about 40 minutes nothing...( I did notice the heat doesn't blast while on high as intense as it used to...) nothing... they are gonna keep him and run him on the diag again tomorrow. But, without any indicator lights on, will it pick up anything? Oh I did buy a new fan motor - do you know that dumbdingdangdong motor is riveted in the shroud! took me longer to drill the rivets out then it did to swap the whole fan. So he has a new motor not one that has been sitting around.

The wires and connector looked good cept the plastic lock that latches to connector wire to the motor has broke I am going to jimmy a ziptie to make sure the connection is staying good and tight, (even though it did give good resistance when I initially disconnected it) just to be sure. NetKeym, my motor looked exactly like the one i removed, yours looks bigger. What is yours?

I thought the old thermo was in Tux's trunk... it wasn't ... now I can't remember where I put it. I want to boil it and see what temp it opens at - I still say it wasn't bad...

Chargerxr, asking out of curiosity, wouldn't I just want to put the motorcraft in instead of removing the thermo in him now, running him without one, seeing if he overheats then put one in? Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I must be missing the point of the test w/o thermo in... I will ask Sthilboy to explain to me too.

Just as i finish and go into the posh ladies room to wash up, a beautiful collectors edition pulls in - IMMACULATE!!!!! I chatted with the gentleman - come to find out he purchased it in 1998 in Sep, date off the line was in July. that Mark looked new, never driven...he told me the story of it's purchase... totally cool: He pulled into the dealership in his 63 Tbird, asks the salesman if he can test drive that one(pointing to a Mark VIII Collectors Edition up on a ramp in the middle of the lot on a roundabout with balloons tired to it - lol the whole nine) they say yes, when he returned from the test drive, he removed all the items from his Tbird and bought the Mark, has been in love ever since. man his Mark was amazing!

Thanks for all your input Hotties! We shall see!

Smooches
Debi

The only point to that test was the fact that you wouldn't have to buy a $20 thermostat first before you knew it would fix it. But the pain that it is to change, your right just put a motorcraft in the first time. The other question I was going to ask is, does it overheat driving or sitting still?

ahhh - gotcha - for me 20. is easier than removing thermo, closing it all up without a thermo running to overheat or not then opening it up again to put thermo in. I'll drop the 20.00 lol Im lazy.

Good Q - prior to changing the thermo - both, changed fans, both, after changing thermo he overheated while in idol, changed coolant temp sensor, he overheated after a 20 minute drive I parked, idoled for 2 mins or less, overheated.

Did they do a good job burping the system?
I'm betting not.

Burping+baby+positions.jpg

HI ROADBOSS _ WHEREYA BEEN HOTTIE!!! Prayers all is well and stays that way! Yes, I asked if they burped him the first time and the second time. First time, "Yes he is the best, he knows what he is doing". Second time, "The mechanic working on your car is the 2nd best in the nation, he knows what he is doing" I really like the dealership people, but they just don't get me.... I don't care if God His Holy Almighty is standing there with the wrench - a "yes" and details would be nice, how long did it take, how much antifreeze did you replace? Just like NetKeym's pic's! (too cute by the way).

Oh yeah, reading between your words there Raodboss, I did ask about the oxygen sensors. Requested she check with the mechanic and ask if he thinks they could be sending signal making the engine run lean and requested an estimate for the job. She called me back telling me that they have had him on diag. for 45 mins (I think will have to double check), and nothing, he is running fine. Mechanic said sensors are fine and he is not changing them, I can come pick the car up tomorrow.

:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

DEB has anyone checked the hoses if they are long in the teeth could be sucking shut and not letting the coolent flow right just and ole mechs step to sulitions.

Running the car without a thermostat isn't a great idea, they can over heat without one. Our coolant system is designed to change positions, giving the warm coolant time to cool down in the radiator before being returned to the block

HI JD!!!!! SMOOCHES HOTTIE!!! I have felt up and down each hose, examined both ends of all hoses, all clips tight, checked for any indication of wear, cracks and/or cuts...nothing. I will check again.

I picked Tux up from the steelership today... after installing a new fan earlier this week (I removed an old motor from a used shroud, drilled out the old motor and installed a new motor in the shroud to eliminate "using junk yard parts"), I was under the impression that the mechanic was going to continue his search to determine why Tux kept overheating and attempt to see why a fan that was working with no problems a week ago (noted in the first repair invoice) went bellie up...mind you, I let them know that I had replaced the fan twice in the last year and half when i dropped him off the first time, and after I changed the fan - in their customer drive in service bay, with their approval, so the mechanic could continue working to locate the overheating problem, (after receiving a call from their service representatives telling me: "the mechanic began working on the car, noticed the fan running, then slowed, then quit. We can not find a fan anywhere and can not continue working on it without a fan. You can come pick it up.". "Without a fan?", I asked, "well we can't find one anywhere, it overheated due to a bad fan"). Needless to say, Tux was not sent back to the mechanic for further analysis. I guess someone determined further analysis was not needed because when I picked Tux up today, after a lengthily discussion, (I worked hard to keep it a discussion and not a concussion)in which I requested a copy of the diagnosis, a copy of the pressure test or at least the mechanics remarks, the mechanics notes of how much fluid he replaced with each burping and how long it took...to only be told "well I can't get you a copy of the diagnosis until monday, call monday and ask"..."well if there was only a little fluid needed they wouldn't have billed you for an amount that is just laying around", Tux spewed a few gallons each time. He spoke to me like I was a dang foul ...the service representative's final words to me were "well, you need to drive it till it overheats again".

I told him "I feel like I brought my child to ER and was told to leave". He was very condescending, and I did not do anything to warrant his attitude toward me, actually I feel I was too nice. He was so nasty to me I... I wanted to reach across his counter, grab his neck and squeeze it till his eyeballs popped out onto the floor and his tongue dangled out of his mouth spewing blood and guts all over the Nike-Lincoln embellished, black button down shirt which he is unworthy of wearing. Instead, I looked him in the eye, so mad that I began crying (not bawling, just tears cause I knew if I killed him I would end up in jail) and said "I do not deserve to be spoken to like this", and left. I will be speaking with the service manager Monday. Not that Tux will ever go back there again, but to let him know that the "service" I received was exactly what I expected from a steelership and that I gave his establishment far too much credit to by thinking they were worthy of a cent of my money.

When I brought Tux there, I explained to them the full circle that I have gone through with the cooling system, what I have replaced, the problems Tux has had over the last year, in detail and what I expected from them - even saying (at the beginning of his second trip there a week and half later) "he is taking you through the same circles I have been going through - I can continue to replace parts on my own, but I am bringing him here to find out the cause", either my information was not relayed to the mechanic, or it it was and he just didn't give a damn.

I was so dingdangdong mad I had to pull over even before leaving the steelership, crying like an idiot, but that's what I do, I either kill or cry, crying keeps you outta jail, learned that one a long time ago....(a story for another time).

This is the first time that I was not able to meet and talk to the mechanic working on Tux...and the last.

I can't say thanks enough to all my LVC Hotties who have contributed in this thread, some of you texted me, and even called... you guys are the best. Tux's high blood pressure problems are not over, but knowing you guys are here, is a such a great comfort, I can't thank you enough!

The only thing I noticed today after picking Tux up is, after idling at a street light immediately before getting on the freeway, (Tux was warmed up and the steelership is only two lights from the freeway) as I acceleratedon getting on the on ramp the gauge dropped from the middle of "A" to the middle of "L", no gradual decrease, the gauge moved as if you were quickly turning the hands on a watch using the little knob. So far that is the only oddity, but overheating incidents have been as far apart as a three to four months. I know this is not the end of this thread.

MOUAH!!!! SMOOCHES HOTTIES!!! THANKS A MILLION!

Debi

Last edited:
I would still replace the hoses are mentioned as a precaution Debi as well as the water pump. These parts are old wear parts and they are cheap and easy to replace.

It would not surprise me at all the tech did not correctly follow the fill procedure for the coolant system. Some burp easy, some are very tricky to do properly.

Get this Lisle funnel (kit).

LIS-22150_LG.jpg

It doesn't have the proper adapter to fit the coolant crossover but you can still jerry-rig it to fit. This eliminates 99% of the burping issues (and the mess) when the burp procedure is correctly performed. Make sure the heater inside car is set to max floor heat when burping the cooling system and that it does indeed make heat.

You are not done yet!

Once the car has been properly burped using the funnel - let it cool down completely (overnight is best). Remove the cap at the crossover tube FIRST and make sure the coolant tube is 100% full. Replace the cap and THEN check/top-off the coolant reservoir. Run the engine to operating temperature and repeat the process (it may take more than one attempt) until NO coolant is required at either the crossover tube or the reservoir.

This "cold coolant check" procedure applies even if a dealer or someone else services the cooling system. If you continue to have to add coolant at the crossover and/or reservoir, you know you have a leak somewhere.

to add to DRILLERS post remenber that the cross over tube is lower than the expansion tank so be ready to recive some fluid from the cross over when removing the cross over plug. there could still be air in the system and the expansion tank will be full. also i belive their should be a bypass hole in the stat. this would let air thru but not enough fluid to effect the stat performance. someone could correct me if i am wrong. jd

Hi driller! It is really great to hear form you, thanks so much for the info!!!!!! Please tell Mrs. driller HI!!!! I agree with you completely, which is why I have kept asking how long it took to burp him and how much fluid did they replace....no answer of course.

I copied all of your directions, everything except the funnel are the steps I usually follow (remember you doing it at Carlisle years back on someones mark...cant recall whos) and will get started tonight. Full blast on floor - that is new, I usually do the panel (cause what manual says), but will foloow your directions to the T. - THANKS!!!!!!

Hi marked8 -thanks for your time! I think I have changed his water pump, but will check on that too (receipts to see f I can find the bill and/or call my main repair guy to have him check his records on Tux for that repair). I will get on the hose swap immediately if I find thee is a leak, if not, it will go to the top of the list of things to do while he sits this winter!

SMOOCHES HOTTIES!!!!!!!

Deb

to add to DRILLERS post remenber that the cross over tube is lower than the expansion tank so be ready to recive some fluid from the cross over when removing the cross over plug. there could still be air in the system and the expansion tank will be full.

I think you may be wrong. :confused:

The top of the crossover tube is actually higher than the cold fill level of the coolant reservoir. I suppose you could get coolant spillage from the crossover tube if the reservoir was overfull.

I copied all of your directions, everything except the funnel are the steps I usually follow (remember you doing it at Carlisle years back on someones mark...cant recall whos) and will get started tonight. Full blast on floor - that is new, I usually do the panel (cause what manual says), but will foloow your directions to the T. - THANKS!!!!!!

The funnel simply helps when burping the system because you can have a head of coolant in the funnel while running the engine. Usually what happens after the t-stat opens is that the coolant surges up out of the crossover cap creating a mess. Also if you have a large "burp" of air, it will usually splash out coolant as well. So with the engine running and coolant 1/3 of the way in the funnel, it becomes painless to allow the engine to warm up and burp out the air from the coolant system. Once burped, you can install the tee handle plug in the funnel, remove the funnel and install the cap on the crossover. Dump the coolant from the funnel into the coolant jug and it's no muss, no fuss.

I keep wanting to have an adapter made for the funnel that fits the crossover tube, but once I'm done using the funnel I forget all about it until the next time I need to use it. :D

I was told once by a factory tech I am acquainted with that Ford has a vacuum system they use to "pull" coolant into the cooling system that negates the troublesome "burp" process. I've never seen one or know how it works. :rolleyes:

It's called an air lift. I have one at work and use it a lot. It uses compressed air to create a vacuum. It will suck the radiator hoses flat. Once you have a good vacuum, shut a valve snap a different hose on, stick it in a gallon of coolant and it fills the system for you. We use it all the time because a lot of today's cars are so hard to get the air out of them.

This is why I say to use a MOTORCRAFT thermostat only. In the pic, the stat on the right is the Motorcraft stat and the one on the left is an autozone stat. Note the size difference in the opening coolant flows through. Any stat from any parts store will be the same as the left one. I've seen at least 20 Mark VIII's with overheating issues be solved with a Motorcraft stat. What I can't explain is why some Mark VIII's are able to run the smaller stat without a problem.

thermostat 001a.jpg

thermostat 002a.jpg

Members online

Back