How yo make 350hp and other Questions?

I like to compare it to "only sticking it in halfway".

Sure your getting screw'd but it'll feel ALOT better if you actually STICK IT ALL THE WAY IN.

sometimes it doesn't fit all the way in :)

anyways now that i've got the car back to running good i want gears and a posi :) anyone here done it themselves or know of a good place to set it in at in NJ??? who did yours Geno?

You can do it yourself ans save the loot. Its a freakin cake job. One wheel and one axel methoed we developed over the years saves hours too.

I do not remember the order. Most was done right off the bat in the first 2 years I owned the car. I like the chip/tuner, maf, exhaust to get started with,then go from there. Make sure your car is up to par stock before messing with anything IE good fresh tune up and good fuel pressure/delivery.

Cost is about 2kish. total.

Whats up with the MAF? It should not come anywhere near pegging without a blower. I have done several Cobras and it wasnt untill over 400 at the wheels where the MAF became a restriction and started to max its scale.
If it makes a difference am I gonna kick myself in the head for selling my stock 03 Cobra MAF meter for $50? :(

You can do it yourself ans save the loot. Its a freakin cake job. One wheel and one axel methoed we developed over the years saves hours too.

So if I buy the gears and posi from you do I get the secret of how to install them? Actually I really dont want to deal with buying the gauges and pulling it out several times till I get the shims right.

I really want the low RPM on the highway thou so I was really only gonna do 3.55s, mabey 3.73s now. Since the car spends so much time at 80mph (apx 60% of it miles) I want it to still rev fairly low.

I've come across MANY threads where everyone stated over and over again that our cars need an IRS specific differential, however the gearset for the 8.8" is universal among differentials. So you're saying our cars do not need a IRS specific differential?

That is why you dont "parrot" information you see other people post.
You wind up passing on bad information if your not careful

Now, you've increased the amount of incorrect posts saying "it wont work"..
when many that have "actual" experience have done this swap succesfully.

Sorry to sound harsh, it's really not my intention.
Try to stick to things you KNOW first hand, not things you read on the internet.

I really want the low RPM on the highway thou so I was really only gonna do 3.55s, mabey 3.73s now. Since the car spends so much time at 80mph (apx 60% of it miles) I want it to still rev fairly low.

3.55s don't even bother. Not worth the $$ and effort. Even with 3.73s you will probably be disappointed.

3.55s don't even bother. Not worth the $$ and effort. Even with 3.73s you will probably be disappointed.

I want a Trac Loc in there and since the gear has to come out to swap in the Trac Loc I figure its the best time to give a bit more gear. I dont want a drag car or a track car. I want a nice luxory cruiser that handles well and embarreses certain cars. LOL! I want my RPMs to stay low when on the highway too. 3.73s were great in my 96 Cobra and its a liveable RPM at highway speeds.
Where I live the closest ANYTHING is 10 miles away and that is a small gas station that also happens to be our only sit down reasturant.
rlaugh.gif

A Wal Mart or McDonnalds is 20 miles away. So you see I am almost always on these long back country farm roads doing 80ish and sometimes have the cruise set at 100.
A 3.27 to a 3.73 swap will be notecable and the car already gets out of the hole alright when it can get traction. If I had a Trac Loc it could launch a whole lot better. :D

yea but the ad doesnt say the Diff/posi is 28 spline, he just says the "gears" are 28 spline.
Buyer Beware.

if the gears and the posi came out of the same read end then it should be the same right. or else compatible or it wouldnt work so either way i think its a win. im just not sure how much i want to offer for the posi only

Again one more time. I have and have had 4.10's for 11.5 years now, daily drive the car everywhere city 19 hwy 27.5 @65. What is the deal with people not wanting to run the 4.10's? Its hilarious. GO 4.10's my GAWD!!!!!

you get BETTER MPG and can still do 150mph?

Remember your Cobra was a stick too, totally different gearing on the highway period.

flyin.jpg

28 spline is the differential side gears - has nothing to do with the ring and pinion.

If it's a Ford 8.8 differential with 28 spline - it'll work, period. Not that I would buy used gears nor would I recommend 3.31? or 3.55s on a Mark VIII.

One word of caution - count the splines before the install. ;)

Now if it is a solid axle differential, just leave the circlip off the end of the half-shaft. If it's an IRS diff, leave the circlip on.

You can also have the side gears machined to work with the IRS if need be.

You don't need 'special tools', just a basic 0-1 micrometer to measure shims, a dial indicator to measure backlash and a digital caliper to measure pinion depth. A case spreader is recommended but purely optional.

Again one more time. I have and have had 4.10's for 11.5 years now, daily drive the car everywhere city 19 hwy 27.5 @65. What is the deal with people not wanting to run the 4.10's? Its hilarious. GO 4.10's my GAWD!!!!!

Remember your Cobra was a stick too, totally different gearing on the highway period.

LOL one more time eh?

A mark is a tank...it needs more gear to get going... its not a mustang.

what size tires do you use ?

My Cobra was a stick? Damn, always wondered what that third pedal was for. :D
I know, different gearing and a slight difference in the OD rear ratio. I understand that and I tell ya the Mustang crowd is the same with everyone saying go 4.10 or 4.30 its just not my cup of tea. I want the car to idle low and stay quiet while cruising along at 80 mph. 3.73 fits MY BUILD PLANS but others will have different ideas on what they wantthe car to be.

While the Mark is fairly new tome (onlyhad it 1.5 years) I have had allot of 32V modulars but this is my first auto 32V so I have some learning to do.
The weight thing is moot. My 03 Cobra weight was 3840 and my Mark is 3630 (without me). My 96 was 3510 so another 120lbs aint that big..... actually thats quite impressive considering how plush and quiet and feature laden the Mark is.

After much reserch I have decided that I will be getting my exhaust and CAI box from you anyway so we will talk more when I order mt gears and trac loc from ya.
thumb.jpg

The thing I have to know is how you get that great mileage! My car has a tune that only dropped my mileage by .5mpg but my car still can only pull a 21.2 when its 85% highway driving. Of course I usually have the cruise set at 80, its Texas and if you go slower you get run over bythe douche in the Cummings crew cab. :mad:

Side note, do they make a speedo gear to correct for the 4.10s?

My Cobra was a stick? Damn, always wondered what that third pedal was for. :D
I know, different gearing and a slight difference in the OD rear ratio. I understand that and I tell ya the Mustang crowd is the same with everyone saying go 4.10 or 4.30 its just not my cup of tea. I want the car to idle low and stay quiet while cruising along at 80 mph. 3.73 fits MY BUILD PLANS but others will have different ideas on what they wantthe car to be.

While the Mark is fairly new tome (onlyhad it 1.5 years) I have had allot of 32V modulars but this is my first auto 32V so I have some learning to do.
The weight thing is moot. My 03 Cobra weight was 3840 and my Mark is 3630 (without me). My 96 was 3510 so another 120lbs aint that big..... actually thats quite impressive considering how plush and quiet and feature laden the Mark is.

After much reserch I have decided that I will be getting my exhaust and CAI box from you anyway so we will talk more when I order mt gears and trac loc from ya.
thumb.jpg

The thing I have to know is how you get that great mileage! My car has a tune that only dropped my mileage by .5mpg but my car still can only pull a 21.2 when its 85% highway driving. Of course I usually have the cruise set at 80, its Texas and if you go slower you get run over bythe douche in the Cummings crew cab. :mad:

Yes you will need a speedo gear, get the 4.10's man. I have had 56 3.73's to 4.10's through the shop from people saying exactly what you said. I have owned 28 Mark VIII's and 80% had 4.10'a and I have had 4.10's in Marks for almost 12 years now TRUST ME MAN!!

The better MPH is a combo of our maf and exhaust kit as well as the gears. The gears make you slightly short shift and you use less pedal to get the slug moving and on the hwy its in a better rpm range a more efficient range with the gears.

Last edited:

Gen2s pull the mph from the abs sensors so the speedo gear in the trans does nothing. Keep stock diameter tires and your speedo will be accurate no matter what gears. There might be more but I know the air ride reads of the gear in the trans so if you keep the stovk gear in the trans the car will lower to cruising height at a lower speed.

Gen2s pull the mph from the abs sensors so the speedo gear in the trans does nothing. Keep stock diameter tires and your speedo will be accurate no matter what gears. There might be more but I know the air ride reads of the gear in the trans so if you keep the stovk gear in the trans the car will lower to cruising height at a lower speed.

Dont have air ride anymore. Sniper has absolutly insisted that the Mark VIII cannot have its speedo corrected by tune. They say even on the 97-98 that the gear needs to be replaced to have the speedo read right.

So they are wrong? I figured any of the digital odometer cars were pure electronic on their speed readings and would adjust from the computer.

Dont have air ride anymore. Sniper has absolutly insisted that the Mark VIII cannot have its speedo corrected by tune. They say even on the 97-98 that the gear needs to be replaced to have the speedo read right.

So they are wrong? I figured any of the digital odometer cars were pure electronic on their speed readings and would adjust from the computer.

You don't need a speedo gear on a gen 2. Also your Mark VIII doesn't weigh 3650 lbs without you in it, add 200lbs to that figure...

The gen II marks read the rear abs sensors for the speedo, abs and tc functions. The speed sensor on the rear of the trans reads the speed(mph) for the trans shifts and the speed limiter. If you change gears in the rear or tire size the info to the pcm in regards to the actual speed of the car is wrong. If you change the gears or tire size while data logging you can see the difference between the speedo and pcm. Changing the tire size will always throw off the both the speedo and the pcm. There are no sensors that measure the tire size.

Both sensors read the rpm and with the stock values calculate the speed of the vehicle. Rear abs reads after the gears so it still displays the correct MPH. The trans speed sensor is before the gears so if the stock values to calculate the MPH are not changed, it will be wrong. This is why the speed limiter comes on early if the gears are # higher. Follow

Yes they are wrong about having to change the gear in the trans. There are a bunch of us on here that have done gear swaps on 97-98s without changing the gear in the trans and the speedo still reads the same. IIRC I used a trans gear for 3.73s as the 4.10 gear is prone to failure.

You can adjust the shift schedules in the tune to make the car shift where you want and adjust for any gear ratio accordingly.

You can not however change the speedo reading in a tune on a Mark VIII. I believe it was Tommy in another thread that said the values are there in the computer but Sniper nor any other tuner has bothered to hack them(nor will they at this point). So Sniper is right in saying it can't be done via a tune but that is only because they never bothered to make it work.

Like Sean said this is based off rpm. Because the ABS sensors calculate wheel speed(or technically axleshaft speed on the rear of the Marks) this is after the rear gears therefore they are not in the equation and only a change in tire size will affect the accuracy of mph readings. The trans gear measures trans output shaft/drive shaft speed and since it is before the ring and pinion the gear ratio needs to be factored in along with tire size for accurate mph readings. The speed limiter is to limit drive shaft speed which is why it's off the trans gear output.

Members online

No members online now.
Back