Great fix for dim headlights :)

Very nice work, IMO the front bumper needs something different, the spot under the grill looks a bit odd since there is no plate. I would toss a shifter boot on to hide the bar in the console.
Also...that's a lot of work on the body to still have turn down exhaust :)

Shaving looks nice, can't say I would have deleted windows tho

Fantastic! I love everything about that car...except...the 1/4 window delete. Love the dash! Love the full six-gauge cluster!! All cars, regardless of make/model, should have no fewer than six gauges, IMO. Love the projector headlights! I had actually thought about doing something similar to my '96 before I sold it. I do think it should have some type of light bar on the trunk lid, though. That's a Lincoln trademark:) I'm still thinking about that 1/4 window delete. I've just got to ask...why??? It destroys your rear visibility. And there's this huge expanse of sheetmetal that serves no purpose?? Anyhoo, other than that, I LOVE it!!

Fantastic! I love everything about that car...except...the 1/4 window delete. Love the dash! Love the full six-gauge cluster!! All cars, regardless of make/model, should have no fewer than six gauges, IMO. Love the projector headlights! I had actually thought about doing something similar to my '96 before I sold it. I do think it should have some type of light bar on the trunk lid, though. That's a Lincoln trademark:) I'm still thinking about that 1/4 window delete. I've just got to ask...why??? It destroys your rear visibility. And there's this huge expanse of sheetmetal that serves no purpose?? Anyhoo, other than that, I LOVE it!!

Ahhh...the rear windows, interesting to get everyone's feedback on that. I can't give you a great reason for that. I hated the fact that they couldn't be opened. Also didn't care for all the chrome around them. We were after a unique look and being that the car was going to be black, it just kind of added to the black effect. Not to say that I might not do something different there in the future. It is a lot of empty space so I'm tossing some ideas around. Perhaps retractable mini-guns? hehe... I'm also a big audio guy so it gives me the extra space to do some creative things on the inside.

I like the idea of some kind of lights on the deck lid, just didn't care for what was there. I know that's part of the Lincoln trademark and had I bought the car new, it would be a different story. But, it's not often that a guy who is great with body work offers to help you do custom work on your car and paint it for material cost only. Yeah, he's a great friend. Again, at some point I may add some, it will just be more subtle than what was there.

Thank you all for your input and observations. I realize that the look is pretty radical for those who are purist in nature and certainly isn't for everyone. So I'm always open to ideas and possible changes. The car isn't completely done and like any good hobby, probably never will be. On a personal level, this was the first time I've ever done anything to a car like this so it's been a lot of fun to see what could be done. I've learned a great deal and found a new passion. For those of you feel reluctant to do anything to your car, put your fears aside and just try. Use common sense, get good advise and jump in. Yep, you're going to make mistakes and do stuff over to get it right. But, you will learn a great deal along the way and meet some great people. Life is too short to just accept status quo.

Wow. Impressive! How long did the work take you?

The shaved door handles is something I've always wanted to do. I thought about it when painting my car but like you mentioned, doing things the first time you mess up, then do it over, then mess up again, and the project lingers and you want your car back. But still, jeez man. That is stupid awesome.

Since you were interested in the feedback I'll comment on the rear windows. Awesome!

Did you buy new front/rear windows?

Did your awesome friend also do the paint. Very nice.

Why didn't you go with a complete custom LCD dash? ($ ?) Are the door panels/dash microfiber?

The most ORIGINAL VIII I've seen yet ! Inspired the crap out of me just now. The headlights work for me ! The smoothed out doors and bumpers awesome. Hats off to u for having the balls to go different with the grille. And can I borrow your checkbook ?

The shaved door handles is something I've always wanted to do. I thought about it when painting my car but like you mentioned, doing things the first time you mess up, then do it over, then mess up again, and the project lingers and you want your car back. But still, jeez man. That is stupid awesome.

Since you were interested in the feedback I'll comment on the rear windows. Awesome!

Why didn't you go with a complete custom LCD dash? ($ ?) Are the door panels/dash microfiber?

Glad you like them. They definitely grow on you. I wasn't sure at first but now I'm glad I did it. Has more of a closed cockpit feel. So much easier to hide all that contraband, LOL!

Yes, I did buy new front and rear windows. The front one had a nasty long crack in it from a stone off a truck so insurance covered that. The back had the nasty wrinkled molding and while I tried to repair it, I just couldn't get it to look right so I called around and found a new one for a very reasonable price. Very glad I did that now.

My friend did all the custom work and paint. He's very good at it and creative. One of those guys who can just make it happen. He's been doing bodywork for a long time on standard and high end cars. Loves doing the custom stuff.

I had all kinds of ideas for the dash and my original vision included more hi-tech goodies. Had this been a OBDII module, I could have been more creative but that limited things a bit. Not saying it can't be done but within the time and financial constraints, this was the most workable. With newer cars there are lots of after market goodies that will bolt right up but with older electronics, it's much tougher when you aren't an electrical guru. I just know enough to be dangerous :)

The door panels, dash board are the originals covered in black ultra-suede. At some point, I am going to make custom panels but for now this was a good option. I took the door panels off, purchased yards of the material, good glue and had at it. Gave me an all new appreciation for seamstresses and upholsterers. It ain't easy. The back side panels were done with the bottom half in suede and the top half painted. The rear deck was cut out and replaced with some 1/2" MDF covered in more suede. I then put a long rounded rectangle in it to allow for air flow as I have vented subs sitting beneath the deck.

The most ORIGINAL VIII I've seen yet ! Inspired the crap out of me just now. The headlights work for me ! The smoothed out doors and bumpers awesome. Hats off to u for having the balls to go different with the grille. And can I borrow your checkbook ?

Cash and barter can go a long way...

Sorry, forgot to answer your first question. We worked on it off and on for a little over 2 years. Lots of long nights and weekends.

i love everything about it from the doors forward, the 1/4 delete and the trunk lid not so much,but over all great work

Bryan to smooth the rear fender use a gen 2 rear glass with antenna. 20/20 hindsight. been where you are on acomplete rebuild of the 95 pumpkin with mike 94M5. Good job ,workmanship. enjoy jd

Sorry, forgot to answer your first question. We worked on it off and on for a little over 2 years. Lots of long nights and weekends.

Good!

Now I don't feel so bad taking a year in painting my mark. lol

DSC01433.jpg

so many mistakes in the process I don't know where to start. lol

albums:
Process:
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/1234Mycophiles4321/Painting of the Mark VIII/
Finished:
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/1234Mycophiles4321/Painting of the Mark VIII/Painted Mark/

I love the paint. It looks like you could fall into it and never be found again. Very deep looking. The front looks damn good and I love the headlights, not to mention the work that went into fitting them.

The rear, I would have went with the 2011-2012 Charger lighting and wing or maybe not the wing. It looks like it would fit the contour of the lid and also go from side to side. Not sure if you have seen the Charger lit up at night from the rear but it's bad ass or to me it is. The Mark really needs that lighting across the entire rear IMO but all in all, you done some very impressive work. I like the rear 1/4 window delete but only because it's black. Not sure if it would look good in any other color. Just tossing the idea and you saying that it's not officially done, thought I'd throw the idea of the Charger lighting in there. If you haven't seen it at night, give it a look. Maybe even incorporate some LED lighting into the Lincoln emblem you already have....

2011-dodge-charger-12_653.jpg

Looks great.
I like the headlights.:D Not sure if I like the back.... Kind of looks like a Monte Carlo. The paint looks like show quality in the pictures. Cool gauges.
Like other people said a lot of work has gone into the car you should be proud !!!

Incredible work. That paint looks like glass but I have to agree, Where's the rear 1/4 windows? Too Monte Carlo'ish without them. I still can't wait to see more pics though!!!

I generally do not care much for the marks, but this is easily my favorite mark so far!

The paint is amazing. The shaved handles are amazing. The interior is great, minus the fuzzy steering wheel.
Not a big fan of the front end, the rear end, or the lack of rear windows. But you do some outstanding work. I wish my paint turned out that good.

Members online

Back