Got my windshield tinted (photos)

Illinios is strict about motor vehicle laws. Only 6" eyebrows. No longer. Thats including the ends. Front doors can't be darker then 20%. Rear doors and rear windows as dark as you want. Must have a front plate. No plate covers. That includes clear plate covers.

I have received 2 tint warnings, 1 no front plate warning, and 1 rear plate cover warning. Most of the time. The LS is being profiled. The cops see it. Assume some drug dealer or someone of a criminal nature. Most of the time, they get behind me. Run the plates and stop following me. Some pull me over first. THEN, run the plates. I swear. The cops almost seem disappointed that I am not a crook.:lol:

Looks great! My wife and I have both been pulled over for nothing else other than the front (D/P) windows being tinted. Damn Mi laws. So although I would love to also have the windshield I won't be able to. Just rambling because I am jealous!

Yeah I wouldnt dare to tint my windshield here..Ive been pulled over twice for a tinted cover over rear license plate and once for not have a front plate. Only warnings!

dam I love the look of your LS! I personally think one of the best cars on the site. Wish I could tint my front windows and windshield but just like everyone else from MI, our laws are tight... But I'm moving to Tampa FL in two months so I'm gonna tint the crap out of it!

Thanks for the comment. And yea I can't imagine cars in FL not being tinted. Probably rare to see untinted!

so did they tint that on the outside? or inside of the glass?

only reson i ask is cause i thought i saw a pic of someone tinting them on the outside...but i didnt think it was good for the tint to be on the outside...

Thats just how they cut the film to be installed on the inside. That way they can have a perfect copy of the windshield and its easier to mock it up.

gotcha...im going to do this here in the next week and hopefully it goes smooth...
i tinted everything else out in my car but the way the windshield sits it looks like it may be a bit of a challenge..

Yea...... But you have to live in Arkansas :p

Ahhh touche. You know, the Natural State isn't all that bad. Not too many people here and lots of nice things to see. Bentonville is very business oriented with Walmart headquartered here.

Here's a little tid bit for you:
More people live in San Diego (metro) than all of Arkansas.

:q:q:q:q You and the Galant you rode in on.

sorry but the galant cant compare to a 49K vehicle.

Take your thunderbird somewhere else.

At the end of the day our cars are better hands down.

old and bland:
sdoidc.jpg

fresh and modern:
2z3zcib.gif

All I know is I turn heads and get a lot of compliments and I have never had a problem at all with my car. Bags are original as well as the fuel pump.

2ytz47r.jpg
[/IMG]
This is what you guys would see the most of.
2ic09dd.jpg
[/IMG]
dzzdpl.jpg
[/IMG]
n2h2ts.jpg
[/IMG]
Ill take some new ones of the car back together if you want.

I also have less money in this car than most of you guys paid for your LS.

sorry but the galant cant compare to a 49K vehicle.

Take your thunderbird somewhere else.

At the end of the day our cars are better hands down.

Your argument makes no sense. Way back in 93, my cost 40+k. So it can't compare to a T-bird if we follow your logic. Just because someone decided to charge a chit-load for a automobile doesn't mean its worth it.

Your argument makes no sense. Way back in 93, my cost 40+k. So it can't compare to a T-bird if we follow your logic. Just because someone decided to charge a chit-load for a automobile doesn't mean its worth it.

The t-bird and mark VII are both Fomoco products. Both built on the same platform and interchage parts.

The Galant is Mitsubishi. And its not even a V8. The LS is built on the same platform and interchanges parts with the Jaguar S-Type with different body and interior.

So pretty much a major fail in the comparison.

Just an update:

28893210100250075234192.jpg

Photo may be too large, posted from my phone. Ill post more details when I'm off work.

If he asked why, did you tell him this?
i'm fkn Andrizzle, I can do whatever I want!
lol

Sorry to hear that bre, unless he let ya go, assuming he didnt'. My brother was lucky to get away with his because there was a similar Neon, his being an SRT4, parked in lot of the police station. Cop asked what car it was and he pointed to the similar looking neon and signed his fix-it ticket.

Just suggesting find another black LS and you might be just as lucky.

BTW, whoever did your tint did a really good job. The edge is real tight to the edge of the window.

Resized photo. Damn that was huge!

So basically he straight up pulled me over for tint. It was cloudy and I had the roof cracked only, so it was pretty dark.

As soon as I saw him peeping me hard, I opened the roof to let in more light and cracked the windows a bit. But it was too late.

@ the next light, he was way up ahead and I was in the other lane behind traffic. When the light turned green he didn't go, he waited for me to pass him and then he dove in. I had already started pulling over cuz I knew... lol

First thing he says when he gets out, "I will be the first to tell you the car looks amazing, but you know I gotta get you for that tint."

So after he took my license and insurance back to his patrol car, he came back and was like "now what possessed you to tint the windshield, too?"

*DAMMIT* was my thought process immediately.

Of course, having taken many Legal Studies courses, never incriminate yourself, "Uhhh, it was like that when I got it..?"

He laughed and said "hah, well you know it is illegal - can't go past the AS1."

Then he busted out the meter and tested the front window, "4%".
I knew I was toast on the windshield, but was hoping to get a pass on the windows.
He said "I'm going to write you one for the windshield, but only make note of the windows, you can scrape them both off and not have to pay since your driving record is clean."

Then he goes on about how the law in our state is 35% on the front, and anything on the back. Now I know the tint laws, and it is actually 25% fronts and rears, nothing more. However, I decided not to correct him since he didn't write me for the sides.

Since this is the first time I've been hit for tint in 2 years of having it, i am going to pay the $149.00 and take my chances again. Keep in mind I have been stopped probably 6 times before this guy, and never once anyone said anything. But those were occasions where I was pulled for suspicion rather than tint straight up.

So if I get another fine in the near future, I am just going to rip it off and stop F-ing with it. But I figure I would chalk this one up to my "pay to play" theory.

TL;DR
Stopped for tint, ticketed for windshield only - $149.

Not bad. I just paid for mine instead of taking it off recently too. It's basically the same cost, but if you just pay the ticket, you dont have to go get it done again. Here it's 25 for a fix it ticket, 100 for the window tint, 10 to take off, so I was looking at 135 for the fix it and to re-tint the windshield or 140 to pay the ticket and I keep my tint

Are u referring to the fluid leaks(of yours) in your driveway or the immediate need of care your lawn deserves? ;). Sorry man.....had to do it for us LS owners.

Are u referring to the fluid leaks(of yours) in your driveway or the immediate need of care your lawn deserves? ;). Sorry man.....had to do it for us LS owners.

huh? :confused::confused::confused:

Members online

No members online now.
Back