Delrin HID Adapters

Finally installed my set awhile ago (thanks man, they're great! And it's nice to have low-beams again) in my '96 LSC. One question: the Gen 1 hid housings don't have that square plastic dust cover that the Gen 2s have. Do you recommend just sealing around the adapters and wires with RTV?
Or is this even an issue?

Finally installed my set awhile ago (thanks man, they're great! And it's nice to have low-beams again) in my '96 LSC. One question: the Gen 1 hid housings don't have that square plastic dust cover that the Gen 2s have. Do you recommend just sealing around the adapters and wires with RTV?
Or is this even an issue?

Sorry, I've never done an install in the Gen 1 housing, but if it was me, I'd make sure that no water could get in.

Here are a couple of installation tips. ;)

In the first three pics, you'll see two plastic nubs that need to be removed from the clear Gen 2 HID bulb covers in order for the rubber seal on the aftermarket HID bulbs to fit properly. They can be trimmed easily with a sharp box knife. Also, it's been my experience that the rubber seals on the VVME HID bulbs fit better than the seals on kits from other suppliers, YMMV.

In the last two pics, you'll see the location of the two screws that retain the stock ballasts to the bracket. Removing them allows you to remove the ballasts, leaving the bracket in place. There are two studs that mount the forward part of the bracket through the bumper reinforcement that can only be removed if you also remove the bumper cover. :eek:

HPIM3416.jpg

HPIM3417.jpg

HPIM3418.jpg

HPIM3412.jpg

HPIM3420.jpg

Last edited:
so where do you plug the aftermarket hids into? do you have to splice something in? do the aftermarket hid kits come with ballasts? im new to the whole hid thing

so where do you plug the aftermarket hids into? do you have to splice something in? do the aftermarket hid kits come with ballasts? im new to the whole hid thing

The aftermarket HID kits come with new ballasts. You'll need to wire them into the original power plugs (2) which are located at the bottom front of the radiator support.

I found this funny. Captured from the ad at the bottom of this very thread. :D

eBayAd.jpg

Sorry if I missed it Doug, you have more available yea?

If so, ill take a set for the 95.

At the moment, I'm out. I'm waiting on an order of raw Delrin, I'll have more ready to ship by the middle of next week.

Just finished a fresh batch, get 'em while they're hot (and before they all sell on eBay). :cool:

Click HERE to Buy Now.

96 HIDs

I just recieved the adapters a few days back, thanks again for the quick responses and shipping! I'm a member over at markviii.org with the same username as here, just signed up for this site to post some pics of what i've got so far. I bought a set of nice 96 HID housings that came with original working sylvania 9500 bulbs, but I wanted the aftermarket HIDs so I wouldn't have to splice wires for an OEM ballast and for the future if one were to go out I wouldn't have to go searching for another original bulb. I'm still waiting on the aftermarket HIDs to come in the mail (tracking info says they've been in the Beijing area for the last 2 days..uggh). But anyways I mounted up the adapters today..see pic below.

Only question I have is, are the holes in the adapters supposed to line up exactly with the holes in the housings for the bulb? As you can see in the picture of the back of the housing, the adapters are slightly off, the hole for the bulb is about 2mm higher than the hole in the adapter, will this need to be trimmed for the 9006 bulb to fit properly, or is it only the wires that pass through the hole in the adapter?

Also, what would be the best way to seal these after the bulb is installed..to ensure no condensation or water gets in?

Im holding the camera completly perpendicular to the back of the housing, and you can tell the inside hole is slightly higher.
IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0720.jpg

here's my 95 mark that they will be going in (can't wait to ditch the useless halogens)
IMAG0327copy.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

I just recieved the adapters a few days back, thanks again for the quick responses and shipping! I'm a member over at markviii.org with the same username as here, just signed up for this site to post some pics of what i've got so far. I bought a set of nice 96 HID housings that came with original working sylvania 9500 bulbs, but I wanted the aftermarket HIDs so I wouldn't have to splice wires for an OEM ballast and for the future if one were to go out I wouldn't have to go searching for another original bulb. I'm still waiting on the aftermarket HIDs to come in the mail (tracking info says they've been in the Beijing area for the last 2 days..uggh). But anyways I mounted up the adapters today..see pic below.

Only question I have is, are the holes in the adapters supposed to line up exactly with the holes in the housings for the bulb? As you can see in the picture of the back of the housing, the adapters are slightly off, the hole for the bulb is about 2mm higher than the hole in the adapter, will this need to be trimmed for the 9006 bulb to fit properly, or is it only the wires that pass through the hole in the adapter?

Also, what would be the best way to seal these after the bulb is installed..to ensure no condensation or water gets in?

Im holding the camera completly perpendicular to the back of the housing, and you can tell the inside hole is slightly higher.

You put the bulb in first, the adapter holds the bulb in the housing. The alignment of the holes doesn't matter.

As far as sealing the bulb, I've never even seen a Gen 1 housing personally, and the Gen 2 housings have a cover that seals the bulb. However, if it was me, I'd use a generous amount of black silicone after I installed and tested everything.

HPIM3415.jpg

HPIM3418.jpg

You put the bulb in first, the adapter holds the bulb in the housing. The alignment of the holes doesn't matter.

As far as sealing the bulb, I've never even seen a Gen 1 housing personally, and the Gen 2 housings have a cover that seals the bulb. However, if it was me, I'd use a generous amount of black silicone after I installed and tested everything.

Yeah I figured the bulb has to go in first, I just wanted to see how they mount..I may be waiting a while to get these damn aftermarket HIDs from China, but as soon as they come in I'll take some pics of how they install in the housings and post some pics, since I see a few people have asked about the gen 1 HIDs and how they work with your adapters.

Ill keep ya posted. Thanks, Kevin.

96 HIDs

Well, finally got my aftermarket vvme HIDs in the mail today, wasted no time putting them in. Had a little hiccup when one bulb didn't work, figured out after 10 minutes of scratching my head that the connector was flipped around the wrong way as they will plug in in either direction. Here's some pics of how DLFs adapters work with the 96 HID housings. Let me tell you..it's a NIGHT AND DAY difference appearance wise and for functionality. I can actually see at night again! I went with the vvme 35w 4300K 9006 bulbs. Check it out.

IMAG0741.jpg

before shots of original housings with silverstar bulbs

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

IMAG0748.jpg

and after

IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0752.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0754.jpg

IMAG0763.jpg

Another batch done, get 'em while they're hot (and before they all sell on eBay). :cool:

Click HERE to Buy Now.

Does this mean the new type bulb will run with the factory ballast setup, with some re-wiring in a late '97 MarkVIII?

Yes.

With these adapters, you can use an aftermarket 9006 HID kit with your stock Gen II HID housings.

There is some wiring that needs to be done, it's not a direct plug-in, but it can be done easily enough.

Does this mean the new type bulb will run with the factory ballast setup, with some re-wiring in a late '97 MarkVIII?

no. the factory ballasts are DC ballasts. all the aftermarket stuff uses AC ballasts. you will need to replace the ballasts as well as the bulbs.

Will the VVME ballasts fit into those brackets once the stock ballasts are removed?
Can they be removed without pulling the front bumper cover?
Thanks!

Members online

Back