BBK Mustang long tubes install Bets?

I got the headers for 90 dollars plus 27 shipping so $117. I got the parts headers off craigslist for 25 dollars, so $142 total. Kooks are 849 plus what 25? shipping $874 - my $142, is a SAVINGS of $732. I would always take long tubes over mid lenght headers everyday. That being said I know my $142 headers are outperfoming the $874 headers. No hating on Kooks just not in my bugdet bomber plan.

PS I spent 10 dollars on Felpro header gaskets.
No stage8 locking header bolts $44
No Percys alum header gaskets $31
No Percys alum collecter gaskets $15 So I saved 90 dollars right there. (Summit prices)

So GRAND TOTAL SAVINGS of $822. Plus saved $62 for no FR joint so $888 really. LOL

Sounds like my wife's logic when she tells me how much money she saved me when she went shopping at the outlet mall. LOL :D

LOL Driller.:p Hey I know you have all your slips. I compared the last runs with my 13.5 street stang. Wondering what your 1/8 mph is on a 13.5,13.6 run of yours?

I'm going to have to give a "Thanks" to Raped Ape for saving me $30 dollars on the mandrel exh. He mentioned the Ebay ad that lists kit at $120 where I paid $150. I have been emailing Josh @ Mandrel Exh back and forth about his product and linked him to this thread. He found out that the Ebay price should be $150 but he is going to credit me the $30 for his contribution to my "Budget" build. How is that for a stand up company?:D And thanks to Josh @ Mandrel bends.

I understand your logic on what you saved cash wise.
I also understand how cheap you are :D
One thing you need to add in is the hours worked for the header fab. for a true number of how much you saved.
I'm a old machine shop guy ;)
Just sayin.....

Don't misunderstand me, I love it.. and can see myself doing this just because I think I can.

My hats off to you, good job, you cheap bastage.

The time value point is not valid for everyone. A person might have lots of time and skill but not a lott of money. Plus a person may simply like fabbing up their own parts.

For most of us, the most cost effective option will be to simply pony up the $$$$ for the kooks.

Ford Nut I like all your input you been on this thread since day 1. I'm gonna guess rough hours on headers. Pass side 2 hours, drivers side 8 hours. Now I could cut that time way down if I did it again. Alot of the time is staring at stuff! :D Could have done EGR delete. Like beerdog mentioned this project was pure fun for me. I never swore once. LOL Guys I live in North East and its been freezing and still had snow till little while ago. I have been couped up wanting to get out in garage and do something. I crank up the heat and throw in one of the 200 hiphop/rap CD's I got used off Ebay and chill. FYI I have money, just every dollar I spend on Mk8 I don't have $ to spend on the Stang. Race gas is $15 a gal and it uses 1.5 gal a run.

I'm going to have to give a "Thanks" to Raped Ape for saving me $30 dollars on the mandrel exh. He mentioned the Ebay ad that lists kit at $120 where I paid $150. I have been emailing Josh @ Mandrel Exh back and forth about his product and linked him to this thread. He found out that the Ebay price should be $150 but he is going to credit me the $30 for his contribution to my "Budget" build. How is that for a stand up company?:D And thanks to Josh @ Mandrel bends.

Well SH*T, just screwed myslf then, I was going to get that kit on E-Bay also, now it just went up 30 bucks. ;) Glad he was stand up for ya.

Well SH*T, just screwed myslf then, I was going to get that kit on E-Bay also, now it just went up 30 bucks. ;) Glad he was stand up for ya.

I just checked the link you posted to the pipes and there still 120! Buy them now if you want good deal before they fix price.They have to honor ebay price.

I just checked the link you posted to the pipes and there still 120! Buy them now if you want good deal before they fix price.They have to honor ebay price.

Yeah I did to. Just pulling your leg. I will be getting those pipes soon though. Did you find the muffler yet to finish the rear up?

LOL Driller.:p Hey I know you have all your slips. I compared the last runs with my 13.5 street stang. Wondering what your 1/8 mph is on a 13.5,13.6 run of yours?

One batch here from a T&T session last season has 9 runs, 13.490 to 13.579 1/4 mile ETs with the 1/8th mile times ranging from 8.646 to 8.711.

One batch here from a T&T session last season has 9 runs, 13.490 to 13.579 1/4 mile ETs with the 1/8th mile times ranging from 8.646 to 8.711.

Thanks for times, I was wondering what your 1/8 mile MPH are? Seeing if my 84 mph is close to being real.

Bill muff still on back order. I have a set of 2.5 turbo muffs that someone gave me those might go on in a pinch.

The time value point is not valid for everyone. A person might have lots of time and skill but not a lott of money. Plus a person may simply like fabbing up their own parts.

For most of us, the most cost effective option will be to simply pony up the $$$$ for the kooks.
I know just pulling his chain a little ;)

Ford Nut I like all your input you been on this thread since day 1. I'm gonna guess rough hours on headers. Pass side 2 hours, drivers side 8 hours. Now I could cut that time way down if I did it again. Alot of the time is staring at stuff! :D Could have done EGR delete. Like beerdog mentioned this project was pure fun for me. I never swore once. LOL Guys I live in North East and its been freezing and still had snow till little while ago. I have been couped up wanting to get out in garage and do something. I crank up the heat and throw in one of the 200 hiphop/rap CD's I got used off Ebay and chill. FYI I have money, just every dollar I spend on Mk8 I don't have $ to spend on the Stang. Race gas is $15 a gal and it uses 1.5 gal a run.

Its easy to see, your stang is were your money goes.
This thread is old school hotrodding, its what I grew up on.

I got this old coupe, and this small block chev......you know the rest.

The best part of this thread is you started on 4-8, by 4-24 your running the car around.
A lot of fabrication in very little time.

I got a 64 falcon that needs a testskid motor....you busy? :D

Just a FYI. Ford Nut brought up this steering linkage Thunderbird thread that I looked over and looks like it would work with the headers I used. So no primary tube cutting. About 225 in parts to clear header. Thats why I didn't take that route. You still will have to move 02 bungs and reclock pass header flange and work with EGR or delete. Now someone "do it". LOL

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/birdworka1.htm

Guy not far from me has a 64' Falcon with a 427 Cammer in it :cool:

SHOCK TOWER CONVERSION KIT
http://critesperformanceparts.com/

I just can't get into the FE stuff, its neat but cost way too much for what it is.
Just a FYI. Ford Nut brought up this steering linkage Thunderbird thread that I looked over and looks like it would work with the headers I used. So no primary tube cutting. About 225 in parts to clear header. Thats why I didn't take that route. You still will have to move 02 bungs and reclock pass header flange and work with EGR or delete. Now someone "do it". LOL

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/birdworka1.htm
:cool:

Its a old hot rod trick, its nice to know there is room to do it if the right set of headers came along for the right price.
The set you had were asking to be cut up :D

Time to hunt up some long tubes to put in my pile of hoarded car parts.

10-04035.jpg

SHOCK TOWER CONVERSION KIT
http://critesperformanceparts.com/

I just can't get into the FE stuff, its neat but cost way too much for what it is.

:cool:
Well the Falcon with the Cammer is also a Straight Axle AFX deal from way back when. He also has 2 other brand new Cammer engines so that makes 3 Cammers he has. Says it's his retirement investment or something :rolleyes:

He also has another Falcon with a set of FE headers but no engine. It's also a stick car and he was trying to sell it to me for $1500 but that was like a decade or so ago. I didn't feel like dealing with a FE engine again :shifty:

OK wanted to put up the finish performance numbers on ET change in 1/4 mile.

The car was, is exactly the same combo from when drivin down track to get best of 14.2 @96 mph from years past. What was added to combo was the 1 5/8 BBK long tube headers,full 2.5 mandrel exh with one dual in dual out magnaflow long muff under car. Only other thing added is the March ram air kit.

Car ran 13.63@101.70, so picked up roughly 6 mph and 6 tenths.

So you think the 6 tenths are to the credit "mostly" to the long tubes exh?

Hummmm.....

So you think the 6 tenths are to the credit "mostly" to the long tubes exh?

Hummmm.....

Next time I go to track I want to pull filter out of housing and lay in engine compartment,not ram air. Block off the scoop and rerun to see what ram air is doing. But really I just want to add more stuff and flog her again.

Thanks.

Mildly surprised at the bang for buck factor on the long tube/exhaust.
6 tenths is a lot more then I would have guessed.
Great info!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back