BBK Mustang long tubes install Bets?

I see I struck a soft spot with my poor choice of words. :(

I meant no disrespect, only to mention the use of mandrel bent tubing seemed to be in contrast to the rest of the project (including being "cheap"), that's all.

Thanks for input Driller I just could not figure out where you where going thats all. :D The mandrel stuff is really cheap from that place in FL. I recommend them and there kit highly.

WARNING WARNING You are about to enter a Pic whoring post. If you do not like whores please leave now. :D This is again my 3am exh install update. Now on a more serious note back to exhaust.

I weighed all pieces of the stock single 93 exh and came up with these #'s
Drivers manifold 16lbs,pass manifold 6,front Y with 3rd cat and res 37, and complete rear section with both muffs 43 for total of 102 lbs. I was hoping to drop some poundage with new exh, but not looking to good.

The BBK headers weigh 16 each and the Y with mid muff weighs in at 25 so 57lbs so far forgot to weigh long S tubes. I will have other stuff weighed for a grand total soon.

Started off by making the front rubber mount bar. Only wanted to make out of one piece of stock that why rec piece. Here you can see the hole spacing and dia to drill. And pic of it welded in place.

000_1426.jpg

000_1427.jpg

Next up was cutting off the stock long S pipe sockets to shorten them and weld back on.

000_1428.jpg

Here you can see gap that needs to be filled by ball and sockets.

000_1429.jpg

Here are all ball and sockets shortened and tacked into place.

000_1430.jpg

Here is front muff pipe all welded up and painted the welds.

000_1432.jpg

Here are all under shots.

000_1439.jpg

000_1441.jpg

All the B&S sealed up 100% and it sounds great. I'm out of thread room bye.:)

just to answer raped ape's question, no way in hell!!!!! if the trans ever has to be pulled out, that motor will have to be dropped out the bottom now, i could barely get my trans out with kooks headers, those long tubes forget it no way not without serious damage will that trans come out, but it sure does look cool!!! nice work so far man!

Depending on what engine, Big Block or Small Block I used to have to at least loosen the headers to take a trans out. I could def see that being a problem with how tight everything is in the Mark :confused:

the problem is, you arent gonna loosen any header on a mark VIII with the motor in the car, you cant get to the bolts!!!

Very nice work this is the definition of hot rodding and I'm very impressed with the work may not be the prettiest but on a budget you did a awesome job

I only wish I had the equipment, time and the know how to do something like you did but from what I understand what a set of kooks headers would have costed you did a complete system installed and that's impressive very nice work once all installed please get a video so we can hear what that bad boy sounds like

just to answer raped ape's question, no way in hell!!!!! if the trans ever has to be pulled out, that motor will have to be dropped out the bottom now, i could barely get my trans out with kooks headers, those long tubes forget it no way not without serious damage will that trans come out, but it sure does look cool!!! nice work so far man!

Thanks Jamie, I did not think so, but yes you are right, it looks great though. I think that this is a great example of knowledge and a small budget and still getting the job done and making it work without making it look like sh*t. Nice job once again.

Thanks Jamie, I did not think so, but yes you are right, it looks great though. I think that this is a great example of knowledge and a small budget and still getting the job done and making it work without making it look like sh*t. Nice job once again.

WOW thanks Bill that musta been like pulling teeth to write that! I really like to be on good terms with all peeps on here. For some reason I have been getting hostility from you and wondered why. I would so much rather squash this and move on as ally(and dam fine AMERICAN):D

Part of the Longtube world is the trans cannot come out without pulling headers like mentioned. And yes I got the pipes from the peeps on ebay but didn't buy off Ebay. I could have saved 30 bucks!:mad:

Ok now a ? for you guys. How much do Kooks cost shipped to your door? I'll do a complete cost breakdown in a bit.

Thanks for prices WOW thats why I was not buying Kooks! Hey my wife is from Chillicothe. We have landed at Greater Peoria Airport. She asked for a burger and fries from "Steak n Shake" LOL

WOW thanks Bill that musta been like pulling teeth to write that! I really like to be on good terms with all peeps on here. For some reason I have been getting hostility from you and wondered why. I would so much rather squash this and move on as ally(and dam fine AMERICAN):D

:confused: I do not know what you are referring to. I been giving you props all thru this build. I think you did a honestly great job. If you were near me I be knocking on your door to help with my exhaust, although I would bring all the goods and you can do the welding and cutting. :D

I think you are referring to the post whoring I mentioned in another thread awhile ago if this is what you are speaking of. But that was that moment, and that moment only. Nothing against ya at all.

Keep up the good job, and go and find the other matching muffler you need and finish the damn job and lets hear the video what it sounds like.

And one more thing, more pics please.

:D

Drove the car with the tails just tacked on so I wouldn't lose them. Car was not to bad to drive around. Barky when you got on it thou. Did not have time to calibrate my butt-o-meter on new power. I found the chrome tips I'll be using there 2.9 inches in dia so they will look beefy. Came off like 90's AWD eagle talon. FREE

000_1444.jpg

One of my 10 year old goodyear eagle ZR's finally let go so I had to throw the DR's on it to drive around. Just couple days ago picked up this set of 4 Eagle F1 255/40-17. Talked him down from 200 to 80 bucks! They have around7/32, 8/32 of tread.

000_1448.jpg

000_1445.jpg

I wanted to make crazy smoke show vids with the old Eagles. I found a :q:q:q:qter tire to throw on to make the vid thou.

Ok FUN time some performance #'s are in!! Got to data log the A/F and run some G-tech times. The A/F was tad rich @ WOT at 12.6. So I know I can make some more power when I lean her out. Lean is mean. All runs with 200lbs passanger.The 60ft was best ever @ 2.100 just rolling into her.(best 2.150 ever) The 1/8 mile was 9.0 from best before of 9.225(with a crappy 60ft). That more then 2 tenths just in 1/8! Also picked up a whopping 8 MPH @ 1/8. Best before was 76 now 84mph.

DIAL ...
R/T ... 0.10
60' ... 2.39
330 ... 6.07
1/8 ... 9.06
MPH ... 84.08
1000 ... 0.00
1/4 ... 0.00
MPH ... 0.00
The previous run I ran the 2.100 60ft.

Other things I noticed. 1) the trans now bangs shifts right at 7000 on stock tach, was 6600 before exh. 2) engine runs smige warmer right at mid gauge. 3) underhood temp seem hotter. Now please no quips about g-tech times this was for fun and will be going to track soon. Off to read and play with A/F files and stuff. Happy Happy joy joy.

Oh PS the program stated 260 RWHP

Just curious why didn't you cut out the dented sections and repair them on the passenger side? Otherwise fantastic job. How much do you estimate that you spent on the headers alone?

Just curious why didn't you cut out the dented sections and repair them on the passenger side? Otherwise fantastic job. How much do you estimate that you spent on the headers alone?

Because I considered them useable. Little flatting not end of world. Once you see the flatting real life its not that bad. Also when a tube is flattened it eggs out top and bottom not closing up totally. Take toilet paper tube and flattin it slightly between your hands.Same principle as NASCAR does with all there exh tubing under there cars its flattened.(Oval tubing) The large hammered in spot on drivers side that got cut out was way worse.

I got the headers for 90 dollars plus 27 shipping so $117. I got the parts headers off craigslist for 25 dollars, so $142 total. Kooks are 849 plus what 25? shipping $874 - my $142, is a SAVINGS of $732. I would always take long tubes over mid lenght headers everyday. That being said I know my $142 headers are outperfoming the $874 headers. No hating on Kooks just not in my bugdet bomber plan.

PS I spent 10 dollars on Felpro header gaskets.
No stage8 locking header bolts $44
No Percys alum header gaskets $31
No Percys alum collecter gaskets $15 So I saved 90 dollars right there. (Summit prices)

So GRAND TOTAL SAVINGS of $822. Plus saved $62 for no FR joint so $888 really. LOL
FYI I bought the whole car for $439 in 2006.

Any chance of a sound clip? I'd love to hear it, bet it sounds evil!

Once I learn how to do that I can get sound bites up. First ones would be with no rear muffs thou still trying to find one more rear muff. All my friends are like F-it no muffs on back it sounds good!

I disagree, after all this work done, not putting mufflers on the rear would be like halfassing it. Do not wilt to the pressures, finish it right. ;)

Agreed thats why my friends don't own my cars. LOL It drones abit now so I want less noise. We had the talk about them and stated its getting muffs back there. :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back