Awesome headunit/app combo for us Android users

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been doing lots of research trying to decide on a new headunit to buy. I had been leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC x940BT for a long time but found this and thought it was cool enough to share with you all. This combines the Pioneer App Radio 2 with any of the compatible Android phones (Pioneer has a list on their website) into a mirroring solution. Check this video out to see what I'm talking about;

Arliberator - YouTube

After seeing that video my choice was easy, not to mention the AR2 is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the AVIC. One of my biggest issues with the in dash head units is their absolutely terrible looking navigation systems. I love how my android's system looks and works so boom, now it is my cars system lol. Oh, and I'm going to lose my satellite radio which sucks :( But thats $15 less a month anyway so pandora it is lol

Wow, what a simple awesome solution. Phones are so advanced and (most of them) refined now, this is an obvious choice.

I recently got the AR2 and I love it. It's awesome and it looks great too, if you want I can post a pic or 2 tomorrow. I am using it with an iPhone though so I have a few more compatible apps available(around 22). The android side has like 8 compatible apps if your going through a nonrooted method, but they still look good

Beware though if you have the iPhone 5. It isn't compatible with the new iPhone.

I've been doing lots of research trying to decide on a new headunit to buy. I had been leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC x940BT for a long time but found this and thought it was cool enough to share with you all. This combines the Pioneer App Radio 2 with any of the compatible Android phones (Pioneer has a list on their website) into a mirroring solution. Check this video out to see what I'm talking about;

Arliberator - YouTube

After seeing that video my choice was easy, not to mention the AR2 is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the AVIC. One of my biggest issues with the in dash head units is their absolutely terrible looking navigation systems. I love how my android's system looks and works so boom, now it is my cars system lol. Oh, and I'm going to lose my satellite radio which sucks :( But thats $15 less a month anyway so pandora it is lol

Nice find here, being an Android user, Galaxy S3 and Nexus devices, this is a big hit for me. +1.... Thanks.:D

I recently got the AR2 and I love it. It's awesome and it looks great too, if you want I can post a pic or 2 tomorrow. I am using it with an iPhone though so I have a few more compatible apps available(around 22). The android side has like 8 compatible apps if your going through a nonrooted method, but they still look good

Oh yes please do. I would like to see how it looks in the car.

Nice find here, being an Android user, Galaxy S3 and Nexus devices, this is a big hit for me. +1.... Thanks.:D

Yeah when I saw this I knew somebody with an Android phone would be interested lol. No problem man. I've read there is an extra step or two on the Galaxy S3 to get it working or something. Just check out the dudes website though, there is a lot of information there. I want to get a phone/device that is compatible and just leave the sucker plugged in all the time. I think that would be cool lol

Oh and I forgot to mention, this only works on rooted phones. You need lower level permissions to make the magic happen. Let me know if you want to be pointed in the right direction for rooting (I've been rooting Android phones since the beginning when I got my Tmo G1).

Edit: Just had an epiphany!!!! Check out the app Torque on the Android Market. Torque being displayed on the HU. That would be AMAZING!!

I'm interested in seeing this with an iPhone

Doesn't work the same with an iPhone. Certain apps are functional, but they haven't hacked full mirror functionality like they have with android. That's the beauty of an open source operating system. They say you can't, the community says f that lol. Of course I'm sure there are plenty of videos on the youtubes showing the iPhone functionality, but dont expect it to be like what you just saw in that video, because it wont be

Oh and I forgot to mention, this only works on rooted phones. You need lower level permissions to make the magic happen. Let me know if you want to be pointed in the right direction for rooting (I've been rooting Android phones since the beginning when I got my Tmo G1).

Edit: Just had an epiphany!!!! Check out the app Torque on the Android Market. Torque being displayed on the HU. That would be AMAZING!!

First things first, I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE from sprint. I've always flirted with the idea of rooting but never really saw any amazing benefits. Are there any, besides customization?

Also, having the torque app on that thing would be like a poor mans GTR.

I like it, wish I would have waited for it. I think the hardest thing will be to keep your hands off it while driving. Wonder how that will play out in court, technically your hands would be off your phone. Angry birds while waiting in traffic awesome.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kyle.arliberator&hl=en

It looks like you might not have to root anymore. Although I would like to know how.

"Requires Root Access and a device compatible with a Pioneer AppRadio2."

Go to XDA and read up on it. Its easy and makes your phone so much more enjoyable.

Sorry missed that. I rooted my original droid way back, i'm sure its changed a lot.

Kool, Thanks for the updated video on that showing the Galaxy S3, it looks fantastic. It's about time we get some attention to the Android world, not just all about IOS Iphone stuff. Also yea I am rooted since my HTC HD2 days, Windows 6.5 flashed to Android. Rooting is the way to go on Android devices, you will be able to maximize the full capability of the phone, maybe more.

Will keep an eye on this Development. Thanks Again. :):):)

Just to clarify something I have the iPhone 5 I just recently upgraded from my droid bionic and it is compatible as far as music and pandora. I have to check my ebrake wire because its not receiving the break engage signal somehow so I haven't checked GPS yet.

Unit photos installed

Photos were just taken so forgive me
(Dark outside)
C963EC55-2C14-4092-A6D0-7F83E00944AC-3476-000003247048937C.jpg

8DE81FF8-26BD-4087-8369-8391E604C6D8-3476-000003243C87C058.jpg

The lightning adapter
C17465A3-0E02-4C80-A480-57CD96087DDF-3476-000003243334998C.jpg

Sorry about the yellow in the pic my reflective belt was sitting in the passenger seat and I just noticed it
16BD0456-AEDB-431C-B36C-6413867CEBF9-3476-000003242B9E90EB.jpg

35B44573-E1C1-47DF-9E2F-4E383149BB5B-3476-0000032421BE1DCF.jpg

I originally had the android hdmi routed down through the cig lighter slot and the iPod one in the glove box so I still had access to the USB for updates but now im not sure if ill take the hdmi one out and swap the iPod over

Damn that HU looks nice in the LS. Thanks for posting the pics. I think I wanna route the cord to the arm rest compartment, but I havent decided anything yet

i havent used arliberator yet, but it looks like it will fix most of the problems with the app radio 2. out of the box, its a little wonky with android and the supported app selection down right sucks. but the mirrored control of a phone makes all of that a non issue. ill have to look into what it takes to get a GS3 to work with it, i do get a lot of people asking about it. a radio like this, there should be no reason for any top tier phone to not work with it.

I'm all about the wireless set-up other then just a charging dock somewhere. Although in that video the 10 steps he took to get the phone to connect to the dock kind of sucked.

Can you post some pictures of what the actual included docking cable looks like? Pioneer is all kinds of vague on exactly how it connect. Lots of stuff to look at but little substance on their website.

Damn that HU looks nice in the LS. Thanks for posting the pics. I think I wanna route the cord to the arm rest compartment, but I havent decided anything yet

Yeah thats my plan when I get my HU. Cable where the carphone used to be. The Kenwood I have in my Eclipse had me in love with the USB system because I always had more control of my playlists. Glad to see thats still there. Don't mind not needing CD's as long as I can still update as necessary and its Android capable, I'm in.

This is definitely the future. And honestly, I find it embarassing that head unit manufacturers have not been able to master this yet.

I mean, people are installing iPads into their dashboards... The way of classic screen headunits is a thing of the past, with everyone holding smartphones that accomplish way more, how this has not been mainstreamed is beyond me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back