Awesome headunit/app combo for us Android users

I'm assuming you mean me?
But unfortunately I didn't take pics during the install but if you want I can break it down and take some pics real quick as to how it was done.
Wouldn't be too much hassle but it would wait until this weekend

Sorry, stupid auto correct. Yeah, that would be nice. Saw a used unit in like new condition for $315 so I may pick one up. Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean me?
But unfortunately I didn't take pics during the install but if you want I can break it down and take some pics real quick as to how it was done.
Wouldn't be too much hassle but it would wait until this weekend

I would love to see that!

do yourself a favor, and pull that panel up and place the GPS antenna underneath it, thin plastics do not block GPS signals, just metals. no reason to have to look at it.

Mine is inside the 3rd Brakelight Cover..

OP, I sure hope you have unlimited Data on your phone.

Mine is inside the 3rd Brakelight Cover..

OP, I sure hope you have unlimited Data on your phone.

Sure do. I couldn't handle having a limit, I use too much data. Definitely cant wait for Sprint to finish their 4g upgrades in MI. The first 4g towers just went up 30 minutes north of my city.

LOL @ sprint

they just call it "unlimited", because unlike big red, sprint data is capped/throttled by how often it actually works instead of how many MB you move! ROFL JK(kinda)

LOL @ sprint

they just call it "unlimited", because unlike big red, sprint data is capped/throttled by how often it actually works instead of how many MB you move! ROFL JK(kinda)

Yeah ever since the iPhone was released on Sprint their network has been BOOGGEEDD down. Its been painful. But the Network Vision upgrades they are doing are FANTASTIC. Verizon customers are about to get very jealous :p

Down south, where they are much farther along, their LTE is pulling down 20mbps no problem. The first test I saw from Howell was 28mbps. Being a Sprint customer has been painful for about the last year, but its about to get a HELL of a lot better

And honestly as long as I can stream music I dont care. Thats the most data intensive thing I do really. I just do a lot of it

I was reading some horror story reviews on bustbuy etc where users had to keep reconnecting and the phone had to be "awake" the whole time during operation which some of these phones get very hot and can overheat.

There were some other finicky things. They were mainly IPhone users, but is this true for everyone or something that's resolved with aribilator and newer programs?

Like loosing cell reception, cool I got a GPS hookup but Pandora and everything else is gone, and is FM only acheivable when not using aribilator unless you have an apparently? Seems like some things may have been rushed. I'm seriously lloking into this, I just want to make sure I'm not stuck with something I can't fully access or works only when I have service.

My area is pretty decent, its trips that I worry about. As soon as I'm so many miles outside my city I'm roaming. System seems like a great idea but those variables are too iffy for a $500 price tag...oh well. the 940bt it is for me then

My area is pretty decent, its trips that I worry about. As soon as I'm so many miles outside my city I'm roaming. System seems like a great idea but those variables are too iffy for a $500 price tag...oh well. the 940bt it is for me then

Whos your carrier? I've had no issues with Sprint on my trips from MI to Florida, Tennesse, and Missouri. Streamed music the whole way no problems.

Cincinnati Bell-eeek. Me and the woman stayed with some friends in Indianapolis....roaming. Pathetic.

I am looking towards sprint once my contracts up. Verizon is too expensive, At&T self-righteous. Sprints making headway as far as branching the network but with my current provider the appradio would be a joke 35 minutes in any direction

Lol yeah regional carriers wouldnt do for this setup. Yeah Sprint is really going in a great direction. I watch the mobile market closely and actually decided to invest in Sprint based on their current investments they are doing on their network among other factors. I believe they can double their current stock price within a year or two (I bought them at like 3.50 or something but I see them going to $10-$15 no problem)

I got Verizon, one of the old grandfathered family plans with unlimited data. I'm good as long as I:

1) Never ever change/adjust plan (working great 2+ years later)
2) Pay full price on any future phone purchases from verizon (A recent thing!)

I'm OK with that. Paying $5-600 for a phone of my choice is worth the unlimited bandwidth. Connectivity has been stellar everywhere in the eastern side of the US with the exception of West Virginia. That whole state is like a verizon black-out area. Anywhere else and i'm 3G or better. The couple of road-trips I've been on I had winamp streaming away which worked great except when I crossed the mountains in TN and pretty much the entire state of WV.

On a side note, finding your nearest McDonalds (or anything) with free wifi and then loading up Google Navigation is a great way to go in those areas. While it will cache the directions, it won't cache all the map visuals. So if you drive for more then 30-minutes to an hour without connection the map will turn into a blurry blob. It still knows if you should turn left or right and how far, but god help you if you miss a turn or don't recognize the street name it wants you to turn on. Redirecting is impossible. Usually easy to back-track though.

As far as GPS on the phone it is a pretty big battery drain. I found it better to load up google maps on the phone, leave it up until I got to a point where it said "Go straight for 60+ miles", then I would hit the power button to put the screen to sleep. The navigation would keep running and I would hear it tell me a couple miles out when to turn. If I didn't do that then the combination of GPS + Screen would use more juice then the charger would put out. If the GPS antenna on the radio is used instead of the android GPS then I imagine there wouldn't be any issues with battery.

Continued heavy 4G usage on my droid4 also will eventually suck the life out of the battery. Although, to be fair, I really only notice that when charging from the USB port on my laptop. Most USB computer ports are limited around 500ma. My car charger is 1amp. Probably not an issue with 4G blasting full speed with the bigger car charger.

I did look at the pioneer connection kit and the little USB power supply it has is a 2-amp charger. Seems pretty beefy so maybe it's for the extra draw your phone will generate. Point being, you might need to make sure your charger can handle everything your phone will be doing. Unfortunately I haven't seen too many micro-USB chargers what were more then 1-amp.

Just to clarify something I have the iPhone 5 I just recently upgraded from my droid bionic and it is compatible as far as music and pandora. I have to check my ebrake wire because its not receiving the break engage signal somehow so I haven't checked GPS yet.

There are two versions of the AppRadio, the DA-02 (AppRadio 1) and the DA-100 (AppRadio 2). The iPhone 5 does not work with the AppRadio 1, but does with some limitations with the AppRadio 2.

If I didn't do that then the combination of GPS + Screen would use more juice then the charger would put out...

...Unfortunately I haven't seen too many micro-USB chargers what were more then 1-amp.
there are a few 2 amp ones out there, usually with two USB ports (enough power to charge two devices at the same time) i had to get one when taking the wife's escape on longer trips just to keep the battery full while driving and using GPS, pandora, and the screen on with my old Bionic.

also a thing to note, most of these fukcers will get damn hot, so its best to remove any case like an otter box

Ok so I'm heading out to (mostly) uninstall my AR2 ill have pictures of it and ill put them in reverse order so we can all pretend its a brand new install.

First take off the lower cig/seat warmer panel by popping off the trim panel and unscrewing the two hex heads
1705CA99-04A6-49A8-A7F8-7788180C11A2-6216-0000061E57844D7A.jpg

The under the a/c panel are two more screws
C9159701-8C50-458D-A6D8-C4DDAA0823C2-6216-0000061E48B480C1.jpg

The upper a/c vents will need to come out as well but are an easy removal and I went ahead and disconnected those buttons as well
77979E04-D50C-4E32-897E-E88A236A42D6-6216-0000061E40149FDE.jpg

The radio bezel comes with 2 mounting plates that will replace the metal ones that come stock in the car. These will fit on the side of the radio and the a/c console section
5492E94C-2152-4D5C-B2BA-514C61BF4E34-6216-0000061E2D153553.jpg

A9128A11-CDBD-451C-9B00-EE674CE7BD2E-6216-0000061E1E31343E.jpg

Now for the back Side of the radio
The wire adapter piece
2F49A727-B25B-4090-B1E0-BF0A42D23133-6216-0000061E13E1C003.jpg

Right side of the photo contains the antennae input and amp outs

Sorry that this pic is a little blurry but
The speaker input . The larger black plug to the very left is the iPod connect. The Small black wire with the green border on the end it the GPS receiver. Small black thin wire more center is the mic input . The slot in the top right of that small group in the hdmi for android phones.

The install is pretty simple just make sure you disconnect the battery ground so you don't blow a fuse and waste time double checking wire splices
The only part that was different than usual radio installs was replacing the metal internal plates with the plastic mounts

Yeah dude thanks for taking it out and showing us the process! I think I've decided to use my tax return to get everything I need and have 1Loud do the install since he works at the local best buy in the car audio center. I know he'll do a real good professional job, and of course he knows the LS so yeah lol

Welcome, to my hell.

Love the roads. Hate the cell service. It's a pretty state when you drive through in spring and fall. You can keep summer and winter though. :)

During my trek through WV I did end up accidentally closing my GPS on my phone. I had to pull off at the McDonalds and sit inside to re-do my route. I'm just glad it didn't cut out on those old state highways. There wasn't nothing but mountains for hours. The directions for that part of the trip was always to go "straight" (which means cork-screw reverse zabbidah look at your own tail-lights around the turn) for 30 miles, make 5 turns through this town, then do it all over again.

Probably going to head back up to Morgantown at some point. Nephew lives up there and they aren't too far from the grandparents and some other friends.

well as i feared, pioneer dropped the ball with most of their 2013 line up, looks like very few of their "app radio mode" head units actually work with android.

had a little bit of extra time at work today and was looking through their website for a compatibility list, and most of their AVH line only works on iOS, except for the top model, the two AVICs and the AR2 :( what a bummer, but then again I have been an AVIC fan for a while and owned one since the original F series came out, so being disappointed in pioneer has long become the norm.

Love the roads. Hate the cell service. It's a pretty state when you drive through in spring and fall. You can keep summer and winter though. :)

During my trek through WV I did end up accidentally closing my GPS on my phone. I had to pull off at the McDonalds and sit inside to re-do my route. I'm just glad it didn't cut out on those old state highways. There wasn't nothing but mountains for hours. The directions for that part of the trip was always to go "straight" (which means cork-screw reverse zabbidah look at your own tail-lights around the turn) for 30 miles, make 5 turns through this town, then do it all over again.

Probably going to head back up to Morgantown at some point. Nephew lives up there and they aren't too far from the grandparents and some other friends.

That's where I live now. I work in the next county over though, it is extremely rural yet it has the most road miles of any county in the state. It's...interesting. Fall is simply amazing here, I mean even the mind numbing trip from Morgantown to Charleston on 79 is beautiful.

I've been scouting locations for good LS pics in the coming seasons.

Members online

No members online now.
Back