Awesome headunit/app combo for us Android users

I'm all about the wireless set-up other then just a charging dock somewhere. Although in that video the 10 steps he took to get the phone to connect to the dock kind of sucked.

Can you post some pictures of what the actual included docking cable looks like? Pioneer is all kinds of vague on exactly how it connect. Lots of stuff to look at but little substance on their website.

You can use the samsung mhl wireless hub thing (Ill get back to you with the right name lol) to make the whole process wireless

Edit: Der, I already posted the video lol. Allshare cast dongle

You can use the samsung mhl wireless hub thing (Ill get back to you with the right name lol) to make the whole process wireless

Edit: Der, I already posted the video lol. Allshare cast dongle

Yeah, but I still have to charge the phone. Does the included cable plug into USB and HDMI at the same time? Or just USB? I'm trying to eliminate the car charger and use the HU to power it. The dock I have is USB obviously, but if the HU hooks up to both then that leaves me in a quandry.

Yeah, but I still have to charge the phone. Does the included cable plug into USB and HDMI at the same time? Or just USB? I'm trying to eliminate the car charger and use the HU to power it.

Oh well if you want to charge with the HU than the original set up is best. The mhl connector charges your phone also. In the original video you can see his phone is charging

I have a Motorola Droid4. If those are specific to the S3 then it's a non-starter for me.

Device List (as of 1/10/2013)
MANUFACTURER MODEL OS VERSION CONNECTION TYPE
Apple iPhone® 5 iOS 6 Lightning (CD-IH202 required)
iPhone® 4S iOS 6 30-Pin
iPhone® 4 iOS 6 30-Pin
HTC Amaze™ 4G Android 2.3.4 MHL
EVO™ 3D Android 2.3.4 MHL
Rezound™ Android 2.3.4 MHL
Sensation™ XE Android 2.3.4 MHL
LG Optimus 2X (P990) Android 2.3.4 HDMI
Motorola Atrix™ 2 Android 2.3.6 HDMI
DROID 4 Android 2.3.6 HDMI
DROID RAZR Android 2.3.6 HDMI
DROID RAZR MAXX Android 2.3.6 HDMI
Samsung Droid Charge Android 2.3.6 HDMI
Galaxy Nexus™ (NEW) Android 4.0.2 MHL
Galaxy Note™ Android 2.3.6 MHL
Galaxy S™ II Android 2.3.6 MHL
Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch Android 2.3.6 MHL
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ arc S Android 2.3.4 HDMI
Xperia™ neo V Android 2.3.4 HDMI

Here's my question. Is this solely reliant on my phone for service connection? Meaning, if my phone drops service, GPS will be interrupted? Might be a stupid question, I'm just not tech savyy.

The docking cord that comes with it is a USB/iPod dock. Hdmi not included. The iPod/USB dock merges both into the iPod 30 pin with a break in the USB to attach a flash drive for updating the system.In The picture with my lightning adapter the white piece is all I had to add to allow for the iPhone 5. The ipod dock charges and connects. For android devices you can buy a kit that has both the hdmi and charging adapter... But it's way over priced for what it is +100 I believe. Honestly it's better to buy the hdmi and use a standard charger IMO

The radio comes with a GPS reciever and even provides satellite connection #s but I still have utilized it so I can't say anything about phone connection effecting it.

Here's my question. Is this solely reliant on my phone for service connection? Meaning, if my phone drops service, GPS will be interrupted? Might be a stupid question, I'm just not tech savyy.

Google Maps caches as its going when you are using Navigation. I know this because I use my phone as my primary GPS, and I've driven for 10-15 minutes with no or extremely poor 2G connection and never had an issue. The unit is just mirroring the phone.

Also, if you know you are going into a bad cell reception area you can have google maps cache it ahead of time as well. All this is assuming you are using a new Andriod phone with a recent version of Google Maps installed.

The docking cord that comes with it is a USB/iPod dock. Hdmi not included. The iPod/USB dock merges both into the iPod 30 pin with a break in the USB to attach a flash drive for updating the system.In The picture with my lightning adapter the white piece is all I had to add to allow for the iPhone 5. The ipod dock charges and connects. For android devices you can buy a kit that has both the hdmi and charging adapter... But it's way over priced for what it is +100 I believe. Honestly it's better to buy the hdmi and use a standard charger IMO

The radio comes with a GPS reciever and even provides satellite connection #s but I still have utilized it so I can't say anything about phone connection effecting it.

If your using the ARliberator like they are in the video it is ALL phone based. The HU basically becomes a new screen for your phone and a stereo amp for your phone. The phone takes over all processing and uses its own sensors and such. That package is WAY over priced, I agree, but that package is just a mhl adaptor essentially. I asked on the ARliberator forum and they said to just buy a mhl and forgo their super expensive package (http://appradioforums.com/Thread-Considering-purchasing-AR2-for-this)

Google Maps caches as its going when you are using Navigation. I know this because I use my phone as my primary GPS, and I've driven for 10-15 minutes with no or extremely poor 2G connection and never had an issue. The unit is just mirroring the phone.

Also, if you know you are going into a bad cell reception area you can have google maps cache it ahead of time as well. All this is assuming you are using a new Andriod phone with a recent version of Google Maps installed.

Exactly. Google maps caches a ton of your trip as soon as it can based on its initial connection. I'm not sure how long ahead it caches, but in western MI
Sprints service is a joke and I used my Uncles wifi when I started the 4 hour trip up the west coast of MI and never had any issues. Yet again, cant actually say how much of that was cached ahead of time, but I'm guessing quite a bit because service out there is terrible (literally ONLY AT&T has good service in that county, even Verizon sucks)

Also, I believe I read somewhere that he is working on getting the ARliberator app to use the HU's sensors. I'm not sure what the HU comes equipped with sensor wise, but its an interesting idea. Honestly I would probably just let my phone use its GPS anyway lol

I have a Motorola Droid4. If those are specific to the S3 then it's a non-starter for me.

no its not S3 specific, the android add on kit for the app radio 2 has a usb for charging, and there is a second micro HDMI cable to get the video and sound out of the phone onto the screen. the kit also comes with an adapter that plugs into the USB and HDMI cable and gives you one cable to plug into MHL plugs for those phones with that kind of connection, the issue ive seen is that it is a 5 pin MHL plug and that is why it wont work with phones with the new 11 pin MHL.

GPS sensor and mic for Bluetooth phone connection
FABA97FB-83F9-4C22-B8F3-A8A6087DE407-4106-000003BC4E39C374.jpg

FABB6807-2E76-4142-AF10-AC77DEABE9BB-4106-000003BC55656965.jpg

Personal preference for placement but those seemed like the best spots to me

Last Question... can I listen to the radio while also having the phone up? Or is it either or?

I imagine not. The radio functionality would be replaced by the phone functions. I assume it would work a lot like the hdmi -tv connection would, which on the given input only responds to the phone (when in mirror mode). Now that's not to say some phones don't have fm capability built in or that there may not be an app for it.

I imagine not. The radio functionality would be replaced by the phone functions. I assume it would work a lot like the hdmi -tv connection would, which on the given input only responds to the phone (when in mirror mode). Now that's not to say some phones don't have fm capability built in or that there may not be an app for it.

Thats a good possibility. I dont believe you would be able to. I'm guessing the app is written to hand over all the controls it can to the phone, including audio. But the whole point is you can plug your phone in and use whatever Pandora type app you want.

Iheartradio comes to mind as a viable option if you phone doesn't have an equipped fm tuner.

And as an after thought if you don't have ample knowledge in the rooting department DO ALOT OF RESEARCH. Despite the easy of one touch rooting it is still quite possible to brick your phone. So if you are going to go that route know what your doing and a lot of the droid devices have been so well managed by developers that they can unkill your phone.
My droid bionic bricked on 3 seperate occasions but the tools were available to save it which took a lot of my worry away. And saved me from getting a new phone

SenseleSS, did you chronicle your install with pics, etc?

I'm assuming you mean me?
But unfortunately I didn't take pics during the install but if you want I can break it down and take some pics real quick as to how it was done.
Wouldn't be too much hassle but it would wait until this weekend

Personal preference for placement but those seemed like the best spots to me

do yourself a favor, and pull that panel up and place the GPS antenna underneath it, thin plastics do not block GPS signals, just metals. no reason to have to look at it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back