any interest? custom hood

Does anyone know how much it would cost to modify the stock hood? Just a ballpark guess, since weight savings wont be much.

to do what - cut a hole in it so the shaker (which sits on the engine cover) pokes through?

I am in the process of making a fiberglass hood, 2" cowl. Going to resemble the the Mach, just without the cutout.
I will make a post of it when it is closer to being finished so that you can see the steps.

On the Heat Extractor hoods. They are great hood and very cool, but do not get them if you want to keep it clean under the hood if you car sits outside alot. I had a 94 Saleen that was my wifes daily driver, it was impossible to keep the engine bay clean, water will run down into the engine, if it sits under a tree, leaves will fall into the openings. Just wanted to inform anyone that was thinking about the extractor hoods as far if it is better suited for the conditions of your car and your use of it.

I would buy one in fg because it would be cheaper.. Of course like everyone is saying, all depends on the price.. Keep up the good work on this because an aftermarket hood, like the pictures of the ones above, would be awesome..

On the Heat Extractor hoods. They are great hood and very cool, but do not get them if you want to keep it clean under the hood if you car sits outside alot. I had a 94 Saleen that was my wifes daily driver, it was impossible to keep the engine bay clean, water will run down into the engine, if it sits under a tree, leaves will fall into the openings. Just wanted to inform anyone that was thinking about the extractor hoods as far if it is better suited for the conditions of your car and your use of it.

Don't want water running into the engine.....think coils.

Don't want water running into the engine.....think coils.

I was just thinking.. Could you make a tube from each one and send the air directly to the air filter? Then you could put a K&N DryCharger on there to protect yourself from the water.. Then you could make some kind of thing that seals the air filter and rest of the engine that separates when you lift the hood. Just a thought..

I'd be interested depending on how the finished product looks. Want it to look nice, mean but not too crazy and "rice" or "modded", if you get what I mean.

I was just thinking.. Could you make a tube from each one and send the air directly to the air filter? Then you could put a K&N DryCharger on there to protect yourself from the water.. Then you could make some kind of thing that seals the air filter and rest of the engine that separates when you lift the hood. Just a thought..

It's been done, but good thinking if it hadn't. A few different set ups, but in the same general area.

if you customize the mustang setup - it is kinda functional...

2010-ford-mustang-gt-shaker-hood.jpg

to do what - cut a hole in it so the shaker (which sits on the engine cover) pokes through?
Well I was thinking of getting the hood modified like wildstang607 did. I don't really like the whole shaker ram-air system running to the stock airbox. Just seems like it's putting more twists & turns in the intake than it should IMO.

I think that a shaker out the hood of a LS would look sweet. To me it probably look better on a gen 2 because the intake is in the front and the gen 1 is on the side requiring cutting a hole in the side and having the big hold in the front. I know things can always be changed.. If I read right, it's made out of aluminum (IDK if it's the whole thing or just the scoop). If it's the whole piece, then making adjustments wouldn't be that hard at all.. Then I want it on my car :)

Last edited:
The scoop just sits on top of the engine, on top of the intake, the you route a tube into you airbox - so Gen1, Gen2 - it's the same process. The hood has a hole cut to allow the scoop to fit through - the scoop sit on the engine and 'shakes' with the engine revs - hence shaker.

both air boxes sit in about the same spot. the difference in the piping, but it wouldnt matter once the mach 1 feeds the air box, the stock piping layout of the two gens would take over and make it all better

unproven? it doesn't look that complicated to add to any car....

I was more refering to a performance aspect...and anything untried is unproven until it's actually done regardless of how sound the science may be. I think I am gonna try it though. I can get a used system from a wrecker yard and go from there.

You going to cut a hole in your hood?

Yup. Maybe buy a back-up. I think I'm gonna build a custom shacker using a universal scoop set up fiberglassed right to the top of the engine cover, and some metal flex pipe at first to see how it works, then fiberglass the flex pipe for a custom molded look. Can't start till fall though cause I am buying a new car first so I can dedicate down time to the LS.

Members online

Back