Air intake

I was triing to set up a cai on mine as well. Triied some pvc piping to go down by the air pump in the fender, no luck and will try later. I wouldn't run a scoop or any thing like that down below the bumper. I don't see the need to have "ram air" cool is all I want. I can live without the extra 2 HP's

I would stock box it because by the time you get through finding a cooler place to put your cone filter, it's not going to be seen anyway. Use dryer vent hose lol and route it inside the cabin on the pass side under the dash. That way you would be able to see the cone filter and have a cooler air intake. :)

Just fukcing with y'all!

my iat's still get hot at idle and in slow traffic. even w/ no hood.

Hate to say it but if the temps are going up without the hood on no amount of crazy piping is going to bring them down, I think it is more a case of a hot engine being choked with more air in a really small engine bay...

Where is your IATocated?

I have a good idea to drop the IAT. Get a Vortech or ATI intercooled kit and give me the KB :D

Having any kind of bend before the mass air is a BAD idea... stick with the stock air box or conical filter in the engine bay.

you guys don't seem to get it. My k&n stays where its at. I can't use a stock box, im not running a stock air intake. I'm running piping to bring in cold air not moving the filter. The engine bay is extra hot cause of the s/c. My iat's are fine when i'm moving without the hood. They get extreme when idling or in slow traffic. driller's on the same page and thanks for the website, cause i was looking all over for that.

Hate to say it but if the temps are going up without the hood on no amount of crazy piping is going to bring them down, I think it is more a case of a hot engine being choked with more air in a really small engine bay...

Where is your IATocated?

in the open house manfold of the s/c.

Well hows the set up going to work when your idling if the filters in the same location. The ducting only works when your moving or you need to use a blowe rmotor like on an inboard boat to move the fresh air towards the filter. I thought the post was in reference to moving the filter to a cooler place.:confused:

I'm going to build a box around the k&n filter and then run a snorkel to pull in cold air.

View attachment 46984

The box around the filter blocks the underhood hot air temps from the filter. the cold air coming in keeps the box and the air inside it cold.

i don't want to just stick an exposed filter in the fender because I'm scared of hydro locking the motor if it were to get wet. I've had people tell me this happened to them. to big of a risk for me.[

The box around the filter blocks the underhood hot air temps from the filter. the cold air coming in keeps the box and the air inside it cold.

It can be done. I've seen several different setups exactly as you describe. The filter is in an enclosure with cool air ducted to the enclosure. It's actually schematically identical to the factory setup. ;)

im in the process of using the 1 gen manifold but making my own intake tube to come straight up over the manifold and out the hood. but i hate fiberglass with a passion, but, i have nothing but time..... and one of those nothings are money....:q:q:q:q

It can be done. I've seen several different setups exactly as you describe. The filter is in an enclosure with cool air ducted to the enclosure. It's actually schematically identical to the factory setup. ;)

yes, were on the same page driller i know it can be done. What i was looking for was the duct work ports like the web link that you sent me. I would like positive pressure like we were talking about, but its not mandatory as long as i get cold air to the filter and don't have to worry about s\c seals.

Cai

I bought Geno's prototype and am waiting on the LMS hood to see if I can work out a way to use the high pressure area at the cowl in combo with the prototype panel filter to pull in high pressure cold air.

I bought Geno's prototype and am waiting on the LMS hood to see if I can work out a way to use the high pressure area at the cowl in combo with the prototype panel filter to pull in high pressure cold air.

snap a pic of that set up if you could and pm me will ya please.

What Geno had was similar to what was semi popular in the import crowd a few yeas ago. It actually would be pretty cool breathing from a cowld hood.
image.php-963.jpg

http://www.speedzonemotorsports.com/product.php?productid=2369

Here is one on ebay for $20
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AROS...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

From the IAT sensor placement I think this is more of a blower heat soak issue than an air intake heat issue...

We've done some testing and the temp difference is very little between air coming from the fender and air coming from under the hood. I'm talking less than 5 degrees. The stock air box draws air from the fender and will support a lot of hp, it only becomse a restriction when you get up into the mid 300s.

We've done some testing and the temp difference is very little between air coming from the fender and air coming from under the hood. I'm talking less than 5 degrees. The stock air box draws air from the fender and will support a lot of hp, it only becomse a restriction when you get up into the mid 400s.

underhood air temp is ALOT hotter than ambient air temp no matter what as far as mid 400's that is where i'm at. as previously stated I DON'T HAVE A STOCK AIR BOX AND IM NOT RUNNING A STOCK AIR INTAKE.

From the IAT sensor placement I think this is more of a blower heat soak issue than an air intake heat issue...

yes kk a big part of the problem with the hot iat's is heat soak, but i'm eating s/c seals because i'm pulling in to hot of air with the exposed air filter where the cycle starts and then gets worse. This isn't a performance issue or a whim. I'm wanting cold air intake with positive pressure[if possible] to save the s/c internal seals. I've pretty well figured out what i'm going to try. Driller got me a website to order an intake port which was the last piece i needed.

underhood air temp is ALOT hotter than ambient air temp no matter what as far as mid 400's that is where i'm at. as previously stated I DON'T HAVE A STOCK AIR BOX AND IM NOT RUNNING A STOCK AIR INTAKE.

I meant to say mid 300s.

I know what you're saying, but we've done the testing, RAI vs CAI, and the IATs were within 5 degrees.

but i'm eating s/c seals because i'm pulling in to hot of air with the exposed air filter where the cycle starts and then gets worse. .

A "cold air kit" isn't going to have ANY impact on the longetivity of your Supercharger seals, sorry.

I dont care "what page" your on, it aint gonna have an IMPACT on an internal seal within a roots supercharger.

*Duh look*

Members online

No members online now.
Back