Air intake

lsc8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a new air box/intake. I want to run some flexible tubing down to the bumper to pull in cold air. I am trying to find a square intake to replace the plastic spoiler under the front bumper. I scavenged the hardware store to no avail. Anybody got an idea?

Like a ram air setup?

Geno had his prototype for sale a while back. I don't know if it was sold.

I've seen a couple people use a ram air kit from a Mustang.

I'm going to build a box around the k&n filter and then run a snorkel to pull in cold air. When my car was dyno'd the iat's were over 200 as I'm not inter cooled. I'm planning on running meth, but i still want some type of CAI so that I'm not chewing up s/c seals. I think i can use a 6" flexible pipe to run the snorkel, but i need something to "catch" the air and was thinking about making something where the factory lower spoiler is on the front bumper. Couldn't find anything at the hardware store, so i thought someone might have an idea.

resized sc5.jpg

resized sc5.jpg

i don't want to just stick an exposed filter in the fender because I'm scared of hydro locking the motor if it were to get wet. I've had people tell me this happened to them. to big of a risk for me.

I removed my air suspention pump and used intake piping from specter to do a cold air set-up. fits like a glove! check my streetfire.net pics profile name lscmkviii.

no, i was considering going with c heads and was talking about selling it at that time.

looks like the pro kit-what size did you use? Is the filter exposed in the fender?

I'm going to build a box around the k&n filter and then run a snorkel to pull in cold air. When my car was dyno'd the iat's were over 200 as I'm not inter cooled. I'm planning on running meth, but i still want some type of CAI so that I'm not chewing up s/c seals. I think i can use a 6" flexible pipe to run the snorkel, but i need something to "catch" the air and was thinking about making something where the factory lower spoiler is on the front bumper. Couldn't find anything at the hardware store, so i thought someone might have an idea.

View attachment 46984

i don't want to just stick an exposed filter in the fender because I'm scared of hydro locking the motor if it were to get wet. I've had people tell me this happened to them. to big of a risk for me.

Look what I did to attempt to block some of the engine heat ... it's not perfect but it's a start ...

I too have been wanting to find a way to push more cold air into the air box area ... I've been thinking of going back to the stock box but I like the look of the cone filter ... so if I could force more cold air up to the filter chamber it would be great.

I played with trying to make a better vent on the OEM resonator that most delete ... I chopped off and sealed the lungs to better force air up the ramp. I never put it in as I'm still trying to thing if it would really work.

vbpgimage.php

forced air 1 001.JPG

i was going to take the snorkel off of the stock box and run it to under the bumper.

Putting your air intake down that close to the ground is a bad idea. My buddy had that on his vette and the first decent rain that we got he hydro locked his motor because water got sucked up into it. Plus his vette was NA and you are force fed it would be worse "I would think". The only good thing to come from his situation was he bought a new Z06 motor for it. :D But by the time all was said and done he was 11,xxx in the hole.:eek:

Why dont you just run a inter cooler like in the cobras? I had water to air inter cooler in my T-Bird with the Allen SC kit and it worked like a champ. Granted its a pain in the ass to mount behind the front bumper but well worth it.

as far as i know, nobody makes an intercooler kit for b heads

Putting your air intake down that close to the ground is a bad idea. My buddy had that on his vette and the first decent rain that we got he hydro locked his motor because water got sucked up into it.

did he have an exposed filter lower or just the intake tube?

He had a tube that lead to his air filter in the engine bay. His was made buy Volant I believe. I may be way off key but is there no way to fab something up using a cobra air to air heat exchanger?

He had a tube that lead to his air filter in the engine bay. His was made buy Volant I believe. I may be way off key but is there no way to fab something up using a cobra air to air heat exchanger?

No, the ports on the B heads and C heads are way way different. Sux that nobody made an intercooler kit for the B heads.
A meth system should keep it pretty cool though.

No, the ports on the B heads and C heads are way way different. Sux that nobody made an intercooler kit for the B heads.
A meth system should keep it pretty cool though.

yea, i'm planning on running meth. I still need some type of cai though. Pulling hot underhood air fry's the s/c internal seals w/ or w/o meth.

If you route the intake tract to anywhere in the fenderwell or behind the bumper, that's as cool as it gets. To get any positive pressure though would require custom ductwork.

If you route the intake tract to anywhere in the fenderwell or behind the bumper, that's as cool as it gets. To get any positive pressure though would require custom ductwork.

i was planning on running the duct down to an intake under the bumper, but some people were saying i could still hydrolock the motor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back