LS out for a while :(

RodLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday morning i was heading to work following an Explorer and Tacoma. The Explorer turned onto an icy bridge and slid around sideways. The Tacoma followed and plowed into the passenger side door. I was right behind the Tacoma and stepped on the brakes and slid into the high curb on the side of the bridge.

Ive called my insurance agent and they said its "my" fault for following to close on a icy day. Its probably going to a lot to repair so ill have to file a claim with insurance.

The bumper is toast, the A/C condenser is twisted and probably punctured, the radiator is broke and the mount for it is twisted. The fog light is still good but the plastic for it is broke. The plastic around the radiator is broke as well as the splash guard under the radiator. Probably the worst part is that the curb hit where the frame cross member and the lower control arm join. The metal is a bit bent but i cant tell how bad it is. The lower control arm looks to be fine but im not sure. Also, the tire has a small bulge in it from where it hit the curb.

On the good side i finally got rid on my front plate! It flew off into the river.

IMG_1029.jpg

Can see the radiator mount bent up. The bolt for the lower control arm slid to the side and the metal around that is bent a little.

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Typical response from insurance.

Its your fault because someone else lost traction? We pay them so much money
yet they dont want to pay up when its their turn.

Sorry man....lots of ls's are being dinged up lately.

Its your fault because someone else lost traction? We pay them so much money
yet they dont want to pay up when its their turn.

No, it is your fault for following too close in adverse conditions.
They will pay, but at the contention that it is your fault.

How do they know?

They were not present.

Its your word against theirs.

It doesn't matter. If you lose control, you are at fault, as per insurance fault determination rules. Next time, slow down and keep more distance.

Sorry to hear about the car though. You've only had it for a little white.

Yup, you must maintain control no matter the conditions.

This past summer a police officer was not on a call, but lost control of his cruiser and ran it into a ditch in a rainstorm. There was a lot of hell raised about him not getting a ticket because if it was anyone else driving, there would have been a ticket for unsafe driving under the given conditions.

It is BS, but it is what counts.

This is what I learned from my accident is, do not swerve to avoid anything - simply keep going and if you get your sh!t handed to you, then so be it - the only time I would not apply this logic is in an obviously very dangerous situation.

Yup, you must maintain control no matter the conditions.

This past summer a police officer was not on a call, but lost control of his cruiser and ran it into a ditch in a rainstorm. There was a lot of hell raised about him not getting a ticket because if it was anyone else driving, there would have been a ticket for unsafe driving under the given conditions.

It is BS, but it is what counts.

This is what I learned from my accident is, do not swerve to avoid anything - simply keep going and if you get your sh!t handed to you, then so be it - the only time I would not apply this logic is in an obviously very dangerous situation.

You can swerve, but you have to keep control and not hit anything. If there is no way to avoid hitting something, try to make sure you hit the guy at fault.

So if a guy in front of you slams on his brakes just run into him??

No, because then most likely you will be at fault for following too close.

And yea joe, I tried that and failed hard - :( sad day for the LS.

My dad told me that one time my uncle was following someone and that guy slammed on his brakes to try and make a turn. My uncles smashed into the back of him and he got a ticket.

I had two incidents already where i had to swerve or slow down to avoid a collision.

One was the person in front slammed on their brakes all of a sudden in a 45mph speed limit. I was going about 49-50mph but i wasnt too close and had to brake hard and swerve right.

The second was one of those vehicle transports, i was already beside him less than halfway when he decided to turn into my lane. so i slowed down and he forced himself in front of me then the :q:q:q:qer went back to his lane.

I honked at him hit the gas to 80 passed him up and was pissed.

My dad told me that one time my uncle was following someone and that guy slammed on his brakes to try and make a turn. My uncles smashed into the back of him and he got a ticket.

If you can prove the reckless operation or erratic braking was the other person's fault, you would not be held at fault and you would not receive a ticket.

That is horrible dude...sorry to hear that & all insurance companies are a bunch of :q:q:q:q:q:q:qs. Like Blackls06 said all that damn money those basterds collect for them to just leave people hangin like that is BS!

Can i remove the front cross member without any problems? One end is bent and i need to take it off to replace or repair.

I see that the sway bar is attached to it is that easy to take off as well?

sucks mayn

just had a flash back on my accident 2yrs ago :( worst feeling ever

Sorry to hear that man, but yeah ppl really should get more distance between cars infront of them. Most people drive way too cose to cars in front of them. If you rear end someone, it's almost certain it's your fault or you'll be found at fault because you should've driven at a safer distance away from the car infront.

It happened to me but I was the one that got rear ended because when everyone slammed on their brakes in front of me, I did as well, but the guy behind me was too close to not hit me when he slammed on his brakes.

A few weeks agom while driving on the far right lane, a car to my left cut me off and right away slammed on his breaks to turn right into a shippoing center, without his signal on too. I almost hit him because he switched lanes right in front of me and all of the sudden stopped , all in a matter of seconds, but i was able to brake and slow down enough to not hit him. In my head, if I would have hit him, it would've been his fault, but then again it's the insurance who has the last word.

I would defiantly file a claim though.. I would say you have 1,500 easy.. If you can talk them into letting you do the work yourself, you can even make some money out of the deal.. :)

I filed a claim and they came out yesterday. He said he was going to email me the amount but I still haven't got it. I've got the car all torn apart now I just need the new parts. They are letting me do the work.

What's the best place to get a radiator, bumper, and cross member?

I emailed Max and he said that the bumper was to much money to ship to my house. Where else can i get one?

Also, I'm getting new shocks and probably going to lower it. I emailed Max about shocks and he said 06s came with special suspension. The price for them is a couple bucks less then sport. What is this special suspension? Or should I just get the sport shocks?

Members online

Back