What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

This

20150525_190640.jpg

20150525_190640.jpg

Polished the headlights on my Ivory Mark VIII and clear coated them this time around so I don't have to do this every year. They look almost new but going to sand/buff them tomorrow.

IMG_0252_zpstuqkexv8.jpg

IMG_0254_zpsnjdkqhtt.jpg

Installed volt meter gauge into my pod. Will eventually buy transmission temperature and oil pressure.

IMAG0650.jpg
IMAG0649.jpg
IMAG0648.jpg
IMAG0651.jpg
IMAG0652.jpg
IMAG0653.jpg
IMAG0658.jpg
IMAG0655.jpg
IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0648.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0650.jpg

IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0655.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0658.jpg

Did the license plate light...probably too bright but still better than factory.

Man, I love those LED trunk lights :)

And on a side note, not Mark related, but I finally got the Exploder back on the road. Put a "new" salvage yard transmission in and it shifts better than the one that was in it when I got it. So now I just need new front brake calipers (drivers side is loose and passenger side is sticking), and she'll be completely road worthy again :D

Man, I love those LED trunk lights :)

And on a side note, not Mark related, but I finally got the Exploder back on the road. Put a "new" salvage yard transmission in and it shifts better than the one that was in it when I got it. So now I just need new front brake calipers (drivers side is loose and passenger side is sticking), and she'll be completely road worthy again :D

Thank you. I will try to make a spare as soon as I can get my hands on new lenses that come off.

Sweet Mark, Chris! ....and I spot a white gen1 mk8 behind that '91 Taurus!

i got my 96 mark inspected on Friday...i only drove it about 330 miles in the last year, it is a garage queen now. It was fun driving it, is immaculate and smooth/fast and fun, but for some reason I have been not driving it, don't have a good reason really...I have 6 cars on the insurance now, and my new driver is a Saturn Aura XR with a 3.6. 6-speed automatic with steering wheel paddle shifter, it has the Moroccan Brown leather interior, sunroof, ABS/traction/stability control, and i did a billet grill and new Eagle GT's(225/50-18) so it is now the fun car. It is almost a CTS, same drivetrain, but the Mark was fun to drive today, and it got comments at a parking lot and at the gas station. Need to do an oil change, and put new disks in the 12 disk cd changer (aftermarket JVC kd-hdr1). Still on air springs, still turns heads, and with no mufflers it is fun to drive.

Me again, one day later... Searching for a new compressor- I swear this car hates me! I have fixed the air in this car 4 times now.

That sucks but when it finally runs fine, it's a great feeling to be sitting in a cool car on a hot day. Then when you see other cars with their windows down, you think to yourself, I could fix that lol.

Mark101 - What was your progression with the sandpaper when doing your lights? I went 1000 - 1500 - 2000 - and couldn't get them that clean and clear. Did I just give up too easily? I spent 3 hours per side. With them out of the car.

Mark101 - What was your progression with the sandpaper when doing your lights? I went 1000 - 1500 - 2000 - and couldn't get them that clean and clear. Did I just give up too easily? I spent 3 hours per side. With them out of the car.

Damn, 3 hours per side! I spent maybe an hour on both sides and that was it

The way I did them this time was start with 800 Grit and removed all the yellow oxidized plastic. You wanna try to get everything off with the 800 grit. After that, I used 1000 and then 1500 only to smooth out the surface. Then without buffing, I sprayed on the clear coat which basically makes them clear looking because it fills in all the sand paper marks. Then you can sand it to remove the orange peal you get from spraying clear coat.

Added a few enhancements, Black Pillar post covers from ebay. They add some shine to the faded out black paint. Easy to apply.

image.jpg

Last edited:
the 96 is down cylinder 8, and won't start.
car is dumping tons of fuel on start up, flooding out almost immediately.

93 is fine, minus the AC. so i'll be driving the back up for a while.

Members online

No members online now.
Back