What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Relatively quick productive day.

Went down to install "new" speakers in the front doors. Decided while I had the door panels off to change some of the paneling and buttons to make the car "flow" a little better, color combination wise. Before doing all that though, I ended up attempting to install my dreaded lock actuator I've been avoiding. Doing the passenger side took me hours because the limitation of room you have to work and the fact that spreading the bracket is nearly impossible to fit the actuator into place. By some miracle, it only took me about 10 minutes and it basically popped right into place. My fingers hurt like hell from it, but, it works!

So, new speakers, buttons and panels changed up a bit and both lock actuators now work. Finished about 30 minutes before it started pouring rain too!

I heard glitch had passed away by someone else on the forum. Id be happy to send him my ballist.... WHat do you do about the broken brackets to install the neon light? ANy ideas? Who else rebuilds the ballists?

I heard glitch had passed away by someone else on the forum. Id be happy to send him my ballist.... WHat do you do about the broken brackets to install the neon light? ANy ideas? Who else rebuilds the ballists?

Afaik glitch didn't rebuild the ballasts, he sold replacement aftermarket ballasts. Since his passing his wife now takes care of the orders.

As for the tabs of the neon panel.. I used super glue to set them in the correct postion and then smothered the mounts in jb weld (Roughing up the smooth plastic will help whatever you use adhere better). I'd imagine some type of permatex 2 part epoxy would work better. Only 1 of the 4 that were completely broken has failed. As for the one that failed, there was nothing left of the mount, just a flat spot where the plastic tabs used to be. Whatever is left of the mounting tabs makes for a good anchor point.

I would suggest reinforcing all the mounts even if they aren't broken while you're in there.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...stions&p=2037226164&viewfull=1#post2037226164

Unfortunately I removed the majority of the pictures from that thread.

Funny how when my Mark VIII was working for the LAST 10 years I had it, I couldn't find a white LSC in the junkyard. Now a month after my Mark is gone, I find a white 97 Mark VIII LSC in good condition at the junkyard. The Neon tail light was in mint condition, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity of not grabbing it. The Ballast doesn't work but neon is in good condition.
IMG_0014_zpsspsdmlnv.jpg

Got nuts for my Konis. Do not lose these. I had to order them, 12mm, super fine pitch thread.

20150310_190646.jpg
My car went from animal to Monster! I cannot believe it is the same car. Anyone want to guess what the worst part about this job was?

20150310_190646.jpg

Buttoned up the Konis and went out with them and my new stabilizer plate installed.

Should have done that a long time ago. Now the rear is real nice and the front needs work. Hi ho.

After a long winter I'm happy to see that I lost zero fluids of any kind. My oil was even full despite a very minor rear main seal leak. I can't remember the last time I've gone a whole winter without topping anything off.

:wrench

Yes, tell us more!!!

I don't know much else about it. It uses a neon tube and a ballast just the like the neon across the trunk. It fits like OEM, same plug as OEM. But I don't know where it came from originally. No markings of any kind on it.

Replaced the clockspring and 1 hood strut thingy.

DSCF9638_zps2vg2hj4w.jpg

First one went out on the original column @ 140k. Replaced the entire column 2.5 years ago (145k~) with a fully functional unit (Freebie!) that had 80k that went out this winter @ 159k. I've had a spare CS laying around for the last 6 years so thought i'd give it a shot on this one. Piece of cake for my first try!

Ok, second try. My original column stripped out the steering wheel threads so I was unable to pull it, which is why I replaced it with another complete column.

Air bag light is off but the Cruise still doesn't want to cooperate. Light turns on but it won't work. I'll be digging into that tomorrow.

While under there I also hooked the telescoping motors back up. When I switched colulmns I left them disconnected to preserve the functions, at this point I don't see the point leaving them unplugged.

Other than that I replaced a hood strut that popped while opening the hood in -10 degree weather.

DSCF9640_zpsqs6erqeq.jpg

The neon high mount brake light is cool
i want one
I agree! I wasn't happy with the pulse/blink modules for the third light so I programmed my own, but that is much cooler! I don't think there is a way to do neon blink, other than one long pulse then the 3 short blinking ones. Probably not something that makes neon happy.

Members online

Back