%#@!&# YOU Mother Nature!

Marcus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This happened once before in 2011. Why I didn't move I don't know. It took a lot of blood sweat and tears to bring it back, and that flood was not nearly as bad as this one.

flood2013_1.jpg

flood2013_2.jpg

flood2013_3.jpg

You can see in this one where the water line got up to.

flood2013_4.jpg

So I'm done. I can't do this again. I'm close to throwing up right now. I can't believe my luck.

I'll report it to my insurance and see about buying it back to strip it of parts and then it's off to the junk yard. I have a sh!t ton of new parts still waiting to be installed in addition to what's on the car, so keep your eyes open for them.

Please don't PM me right now. My inbox is close to full, and I need to take an inventory and make a final decision on what I'm gonna do. Whatever I do, it won't be involving this car. It's finished.

By the way, I was planning on reinstalling the interior this week. I had everything ready to go to make her like new inside. The car had been in storage for six months and I just pulled her out last week. Now this.

That sucks.... I live in Madison, WI and we got pounded today too....I feel for ya... Good luck.

Sorry to hear man..I saw A LOT of cars under water this morning too..had to drive through some highwater also..don't mean to bring up a sore subject but why couldn't you just rip out the interior and let it all dry..it looks like it only got up to the side of the seat bolster.

Yeah I'm starting to come up from the abyss in my mood. I'm sure it can be saved, but the issue is I'm unemployed right now and really can't think about spending much on it.

The plan right now is to file a claim with insurance, buy it back with a salvage title or whatever (however that works), dry it out and put it back in storage until I can do something with it.

That sucks
I've been through the same thing with my 97 had to replace the motor and trans most everything else I took out and let dry.

My old mark viii was under more water then that (above the seat), i just pulled her into a dry spot and opened all doors and windows for a few days with some barn fans drying her out. I Drove it for 2 years after that. I did rip out all the carpet though.

Food for thought, it doesnt look like the water was high enough to enter the engine, unless you have some helaciously bad leaks, as for the trans, just jack her up, drain her check for water, if none refill, if there is some flush it at a shop. everything else should be fine, as most sensitive electronics are higher then the knee panel.

I'm with the rest. I'd let that car dry out for a few days and pull the carpet on the same day that you start letting it dry. Lysol the hell out of it, inside and out and on the bottom of the carpet. Let it sit for 3 to 5 days with the doors open and battery disconnected. Put that carpet back in, unless you have another one you were going to install. Drain the trans fluid and replace and I bet it will be fine. I'd be sick too if I walked out and seen something like that. Best of luck with it and I wouldn't salvage the title on it unless you really have to go that route. If you plan on keeping it forever, then go for it. When someone see's flood damage as the reason for salvaging it, the value will likely be in the hundreds, especially to members like us lol. That's a good looking car and if it can be dried out, that's what I'd be doing ASAP.

Marcus where do you live again? I'm in arlington heights..we got hit pretty hard here this morning too..luckily my car was in the garage and the yard doesn't take on water like that though..if ya need a hand I'd be willing to help this weekend..always down to meet people from here.

This breaks my heart brotherman. I live in a flood zone, my 96 is never safe.

Luckily I don't live in a flood zone but I work directly across from the Lehigh River in Easton. Last year or so we were moving the machines out of the shop as the river came acros the road into the shop.

Sucks big time![video=youtube;L1s7k5NLozY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1s7k5NLozY[/video]

I'd say take a shop vac and get all that water out, take the seats, console, and carpet out and let it air dry for a few days. Then either clean the heck out of the original carpet or put some new carpet in and put it all back together and keep on truckin'. That's too nice a car to let the insurance salvage it.

WOW! I'd just be down in the dumps. I would do exactly as stated above... Don't give up on that car. Gut that interior, dry it & go for it again. Now as far as why you're living there? I'd be gone PERIOD! Full me once, shame on you, full me twice, shame on me.

Might need another seat track with good motors, if you want it to move again but if it's in the position you like, I wouldn't worry with it until you have spare money to replace. It's obvious they would be ruined so, that's why I didn't mention it earlier. If you have new parts that are waiting to be installed, might have to sell some of them to buy new seat tracks and motors but that would be up to you to decide which is most important. One is on ebay now but finding one, or both in the JY would be much cheaper. If you're good with small parts, the motors can be removed and cleaned and oiled again. Might work, might not but it's worth a try. Doesn't cost anything to turn a ratchet.

That sucks man! I hope you get it dried out and working!

I am in the process of parting a 93. If you want the seat bracket, motors and components, they are yours. Just pay shipping.

Man that really does suck. I feel for you. That would be really depressing to walk out to. I agree with the others, take your time and save it.

Thanks for the sympathy and the words of encouragement. I've calmed down a bit and I'm seeing things in a better perspective.

I got a ride to pick up my DD at around 5 and the Mark was still under water. I decided to spend some time at a friends place and have a few beers. When I got home at 9 the water had finally receded. So it sat in that crap for a good 12 hours at least.

I've lived at this place since 1999 and this had only happened once before in 2011. They did a bunch of work in the parking lots, installing new drains and whatnot, so I figured everything was good. But last night's rain was enough to make Noah sh*t his pants. Flooding everywhere. This was a freak storm for sure. The problem is these f*ckin' freak storms seem to be happening more often. So yeah, I need to either move or figure out some better parking options.

Tomorrow I'll try to get it started. I'm gonna remove the fuses for the seats for sure, as last time it happened, the seats went nuts and rolled all the way back before blowing the fuses (I swam out and disconnected the battery as soon as I saw the car). I'm mostly concerned about the differential and tranny. There's a shop up the street, so I may try to limp her over there to have them checked them out. I can't work on the car where she sits.

As far as the interior, as luck would have it, it has no carpet installed right now. I bought a like-new carpet last year but didn't have time to install it before I put her in storage for the winter. It's sitting nice and dry in the back seat. Procrastination pays off for once LOL. Ironically, I ALMOST installed it yesterday, before the storm, but the weather was iffy so I put it off. Thank God for small miracles.

The center console is just sitting in the car, not bolted down, so that'll be easy to get out. Basically the whole interior is barely there, as can be seen in the photos. It's definitely not how it usually looks.

The seat tracks are probably fried so I will be needing some replacements, along with seat bottom foam. Are the first gen and second gen tracks interchangeable? I have no problem swapping out electronics and whatnot. If so, I might take you up on that offer tyrfryr. Luckily I have a new drivers seat module that I was planning on replacing so that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Marcus where do you live again? I'm in arlington heights..we got hit pretty hard here this morning too..luckily my car was in the garage and the yard doesn't take on water like that though..if ya need a hand I'd be willing to help this weekend..always down to meet people from here.

Thanks for the offer Kevin, it'd be cool to meet you. I live in Palatine off of Rand just west of 53. I have some friends (fellow Mark VIII owners "Trixie" and "Beerdog" on LOD) in Buffalo Grove where I can take the car and work on it assuming I can get it running on it's own power. I'm gonna be out of town Friday and Saturday, but Sunday might work. Being unemployed, I have lots of free time on weekdays LOL.

Sorry to see this happen to another LvC member's car.

Well I'm glad your carpet was spared, Marcus.

But for everyone else who's swapping in used carpet or thinking about cleaning out your carpet, Its not overly difficult if you plan every step as this can be accomplished in one afternoon, like the one I did.

Here is my story.......and I'm sticking to it. :)
I wanted this carpet to be as close to factory clean before installing it in my car. Yours is probably not as grimey as mine.

This is the condition of the carpet before I started washing it.
image.jpg

I knew I had a nice sunny weather on this day so I began the deep cleaning process early in the morning. After attaching the carpet to my roll-up garage door, I used one part bleach to ten parts of diluted Formula 409 with a scrub brush. A garden sprayer came in handy getting the mixed solution on all corners of the carpet.
image.jpg

After some vigorous scrubbing, the entire carpet was cleaned and rinsed with a pressure washer. By 9 a.m. , the carpet was ready to hang dry. Simply roll up the garage door for it to drip, let it sit in the sun. It was dry and ready to be installed by late afternoon.
image.jpg

There it is. Once the carpet was dry, the thing looked and smelled like new!

Marcus, You have a nice looking BoB. You dodged having to clean your carpet this time but if you ever get flooded again... hey, cleaning the carpet isn't so hard. :)

The seat track pin-outs are different and are not interchangable.

I hope your car turns out as good or better after you're done cleaning her up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Members online

Back