Y'all better go fill the tank up ASAP

The oil fields in Libya being in the hands of the rebels means that the rebels won control over them before Gaddafi could destroy them. This is a good thing for global oil markets, as it means that the Libyan oil infrastructure can be brought back online without needing the time for long repairs.

Although it's good that they didn't destroy them or lets say, do what Iraq done and catch them on fire just so we could watch them burn but they have now cut the supply / output by up to 75%, 1.2 million barrels per day not being produced. Saudi Arabia has said it is willing to make up for the shortages. This is what we did not want to happen. Gas prices are about to soar. Not only gas but grocery shopping and anything else you buy.

Although it's good that they didn't destroy them or lets say, do what Iraq done and catch them on fire just so we could watch them burn but they have now cut the supply / output by up to 75%, 1.2 million barrels per day not being produced. Saudi Arabia has said it is willing to make up for the shortages. This is what we did not want to happen. Gas prices are about to soar. Not only gas but grocery shopping and anything else you buy.

You sure are quick to be negative. In the long run, the oil fields being intact and out of Gaddafi's reach is a good thing. You think this conflictive situation will last forever?

You sure are quick to be negative. In the long run, the oil fields being intact and out of Gaddafi's reach is a good thing. You think this conflictive situation will last forever?

I don't mean to be negative and that man will most likely be dead within the next week or two, hopefully. Even if that happens, it's not only ONE conflict, there are many conflicts and situations going on over there that effect us.

Why would you use regular in a mark? Ford doesn't recommend premium for no reason you know. It's like $3 more for premium and you get the peace of mind from not wondering if you're destroying your engine. Also you'll get better performance.

I have had my mark since spring of 2008, and I have always used Regular. I have had no problems as well

...there are many conflicts and situations going on over there that effect us.

Yeah, you are correct on that, but how long has that been the case? Answer: Forever.

I don't proclaim doom, I hope for the best. If I am wrong and said doom occurs, it won't matter if I am wrong, so who cares? :D

I have had my mark since spring of 2008, and I have always used Regular. I have had no problems as well
But why even do it? It saves you like $3-4 when you're paying like $60 anyway. That's the cost of a coffee at starbucks... Just because you aren't noticing problems doesn't mean that your not subtly degrading your cars performance and negating the money you saved by reducing the mpg your car gets. Why would ford recommend premium if the car doesn't need it? Were they secretly trying to get more money for the oil companies?
Someone needs to repost the whole frogman rant about this.

In the end it's your car and if you wanna put regular in it then feel free to. However that doesn't mean that people will agree with you.

But why even do it? It saves you like $3-4 when you're paying like $60 anyway. That's the cost of a coffee at starbucks... Just because you aren't noticing problems doesn't mean that your not subtly degrading your cars performance and negating the money you saved by reducing the mpg your car gets. Why would ford recommend premium if the car doesn't need it? Were they secretly trying to get more money for the oil companies?
Someone needs to repost the whole frogman rant about this.

Cool. Switch to regular and send me $3-4 every time you get gas from now on. My paypal is my username at gmail dot com. If you blow up your motor due to knock, I'll pay for the replacement. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Cool. Switch to regular and send me $3-4 every time you get gas from now on. My paypal is my username at gmail dot com. If you blow up your motor due to knock, I'll pay for the replacement. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Alright. I'll send you 5 dollars every time I fill up. Can we have a contract that says you'll buy me a new engine if I blow mine up running on regular unleaded? Mind you, some of my cars' engines are up to 70K dollars when purchased in crate form.

I know you were being sardonic, but come on! There's a reason FORD specified premium unleaded on the 4.6.

According to a friend of mine who tunes Mustangs for a living (even has his own DynoJet) the 4.6 knock sensors don't work as advertised. By the time that knock sensor "wakes up", the damage is already done.

Likely, the reason you're not experiencing any felt detonation is because you're at what, 5,3xx feet of elevation. I don't remember the exact elevation at KABQ from the last time I landed there. The higher your elevation, the lower octane you need (within reason, of course).

Why don't you just run 50% gasoline and 50% water in your motor then? Think of the fuel cost savings.

Look, ultimately, they are your engines you're trashing. As such, you can run whatever you want in them. But you're stepping over a dollar to save a dime. Why do you have insurance? Be it home owners, medical, or even automotive? So you can have a buffer in case something happens. Think of running premium as an insurance policy.

Frogman, well said AGAIN!

Stepping over a dollar to get to a dime. Read Frogmans post somewhere else he even does the math for you. Spoon feeding 101.

I really don't care weather you run regular or even race fuel, why do we have to keep beating this to death?

There are LOTS of Marks here that probably ran regular before most of us bought them... If you adjust your driving style to a little less aggressive, regular fuel is fine. I have owned my Mark for about 5 years and have only started running premium in the past 8 months. My Mark is one of the healthiest Marks that I have ever driven, and I have driven quite a few. The car does have the ability to modify ignition timing based on detonation. Our cars are not race engines, in stock form, a little detonation will happen before the car learns it's adaptive fuel tables. Granted, on a high Rpm or performance engine, a little knock can blow the motor up, but not ours. I am referring to a mostly stock M8 motor. As for wondering why ford would recommend premium, it was because the engine showed it's best performance on premium fuel. On the newer ford vehicles before they went to their capless system, the cars had a green fuel lid that said "Ford recommends BP fuel", I wonder who was making money on that one?

I run premium in my car because I do feel a slight performance increase, however, I would never drive my car in fear that I was trashing it little by little each time I drove it if I ran regular fuel...

That is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.

I suppose everyone has their own opinion as to what they want to run in their cars. I know when I went and filled up earlier in the week, it did cost me $3.65 per gallon but another reason why it was that price is because it is "ethanol free" gas. There are no (contains up to 10% ethanol) signs at the pump of the Phillips 66 station I go to less than a mile from me. Ethanol in the long run is really not good for engines and now their working on what they call E-15 and who knows really what the percentage is? It takes longer to really have an effect on larger engines but things such as riding mowers, weed eaters, push mowers, ethanol is not good at all for the smaller engines.

I know Lincoln and many other car makers did not make most or all engines to run on CORN ON THE COBB. I do sometimes get gas ($10 to $20 worth) at Chevron or BP but it's always 93 no matter what. Normally I just pay the price and get it from the 66 station because it is ethanol free. They even have a sign out front that is in black and white "ETHANOL FREE GAS" and I can see a slight difference by using pure gas. That same gas I paid $3.65 for is still holding now at $3.89 until Monday and it will go up again.

All I know is that in my personal experience, my car ('96 Mark VIII) runs like pure crap if I put 87 in it. It eventually smooths out, but she really likes premium. So that's what I run. It costs more, but in the long run, it's worth it.

All I know is that in my personal experience, my car ('96 Mark VIII) runs like pure crap if I put 87 in it. It eventually smooths out, but she really likes premium. So that's what I run. It costs more, but in the long run, it's worth it.

Run the car dry on premium, go put some regular in it then reset the computer. I'll bet it runs betterthan just switching it without a reset. The computer learns adaptive fuel strategy witht the premium and advances the timing a little, without resetting the computer, you are running regular gas on a strategy learned for premium...

Had to go to St Pete again this morning to the VA. I filled up with Premium at the Hess station @ 3.649 a gal., and reg was at 3.529.

I filled up last week at $3.16 and was just watching the news and saw a sign in the back ground that said $3.69! :eek:

Alright. I'll send you 5 dollars every time I fill up. Can we have a contract that says you'll buy me a new engine if I blow mine up running on regular unleaded? Mind you, some of my cars' engines are up to 70K dollars when purchased in crate form.

I know you were being sardonic, but come on! There's a reason FORD specified premium unleaded on the 4.6.

According to a friend of mine who tunes Mustangs for a living (even has his own DynoJet) the 4.6 knock sensors don't work as advertised. By the time that knock sensor "wakes up", the damage is already done.

Likely, the reason you're not experiencing any felt detonation is because you're at what, 5,3xx feet of elevation. I don't remember the exact elevation at KABQ from the last time I landed there. The higher your elevation, the lower octane you need (within reason, of course).

Why don't you just run 50% gasoline and 50% water in your motor then? Think of the fuel cost savings.

Look, ultimately, they are your engines you're trashing. As such, you can run whatever you want in them. But you're stepping over a dollar to save a dime. Why do you have insurance? Be it home owners, medical, or even automotive? So you can have a buffer in case something happens. Think of running premium as an insurance policy.

We get it, you have money.

Part of the reason I don't see detonation is indeed my high altitude. But with high altitude comes lower octane fuel at the pump. Our regular is 86, and our premium is 90 or 91, we don't get 87/93 or whatever people closer to sea level get. Go up towards Colorado from here and regular is 85.

I don't see detonation, either in the knock sensors, by feel, or reading the plugs. I would say that the reason for that is that this is an aluminum headed engine, not even 10:1 compression, with enough cam and head flow to keep the dynamic compression pretty low.

I have insurance because I can't just pay cash for a new house, pay for major medical costs, or a disastrous car accident... But I can pay cash for a new engine, so I don't need the "insurance." Not that this "insurance" does anything, so it would be more like paying your insurance agent for printing out insurance quotes, while not providing coverage...

I've burned an estimated >4000 gallons of fuel in a Mark VIII with no engine problems. The cheapest premium fuel is 20 cents more than regular, so regular has saved me around $800. An engine at U Pull It is $175, and even from a regular junkyard do not top $800.

I really don't care weather you run regular or even race fuel, why do we have to keep beating this to death?

Because every now and again people come through and post that regular gasoline will blow up your engine and probably kill your dog. I don't bring it up, but I'll post about it.

There are LOTS of Marks here that probably ran regular before most of us bought them... If you adjust your driving style to a little less aggressive, regular fuel is fine. I have owned my Mark for about 5 years and have only started running premium in the past 8 months. My Mark is one of the healthiest Marks that I have ever driven, and I have driven quite a few. The car does have the ability to modify ignition timing based on detonation. Our cars are not race engines, in stock form, a little detonation will happen before the car learns it's adaptive fuel tables. Granted, on a high Rpm or performance engine, a little knock can blow the motor up, but not ours. I am referring to a mostly stock M8 motor. As for wondering why ford would recommend premium, it was because the engine showed it's best performance on premium fuel. On the newer ford vehicles before they went to their capless system, the cars had a green fuel lid that said "Ford recommends BP fuel", I wonder who was making money on that one?

I run premium in my car because I do feel a slight performance increase, however, I would never drive my car in fear that I was trashing it little by little each time I drove it if I ran regular fuel...

That is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.

I agree, it says, "Premium Fuel Recommended". It doesn't say required, because it is not. My GTP, it said required, as it was blown. While I agree with the basics of the argument Frogman and others present, "required" and "recommended" have different meanings.
--->http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/do-you-really-need-premium.html

We get it, you have money.

Don't be a jackass. It has nothing to do with who has what. It has to do with you thinking you know better than FORD engineers.

Part of the reason I don't see detonation is indeed my high altitude. But with high altitude comes lower octane fuel at the pump. Our regular is 86, and our premium is 90 or 91, we don't get 87/93 or whatever people closer to sea level get. Go up towards Colorado from here and regular is 85.

Really? Never seen 85 at a pump in CO. And I spend a lot of time at altitudes even higher than Denver. Still, even there I see 89 and 91.

I don't see detonation, either in the knock sensors, by feel, or reading the plugs.

Well ok then. So long as you don't see it, it's all good. Out of sight out of mind.

I have insurance because I can't just pay cash for a new house, pay for major medical costs, or a disastrous car accident... But I can pay cash for a new engine, so I don't need the "insurance." Not that this "insurance" does anything, so it would be more like paying your insurance agent for printing out insurance quotes, while not providing coverage...

We get it, you have $800 for a new engine. Good for you. Another 200 years of running regular over premium and you'll have saved enough to buy a modest house in cash. :rolleyes:

I've burned an estimated >4000 gallons of fuel in a Mark VIII with no engine problems. The cheapest premium fuel is 20 cents more than regular, so regular has saved me around $800. An engine at U Pull It is $175, and even from a regular junkyard do not top $800.

Well, at least you can do math. But you forgot to figure a mechanics time (or even your time) to R&R the engine. Then, hope you get a good engine from that junk yard.

I don't think anyone has said it will categorically blow up an engine. But I do believe it's been said one has a higher risk of doing so by running lower octane. I don't know about any dogs dying because of it, but I suppose if the dog is sleeping under the hood it may get hurt.

Feel free to run whatever you want. Frankly, I don't care about your blowing up that engine. After all, you saved 800 bucks to buy a new one, right?

Don't be a jackass. It has nothing to do with who has what. It has to do with you thinking you know better than FORD engineers.

You don't see how that comment comes off as "look at me, I have cars with engines more expensive than 30 of your cars?"

FORD engineers know the difference between "recommended" and "required." If premium were required, it would say "Premium Fuel Required."

Really? Never seen 85 at a pump in CO. And I spend a lot of time at altitudes even higher than Denver. Still, even there I see 89 and 91.

I noticed 85 octane fuel for sale on a road trip to CO. I thought it was CO, but the station may have been northern NM, I don't really remember. And yes, as I said, 91 is available here, but neither 89 nor 91 are ever labeled as "regular."

Well ok then. So long as you don't see it, it's all good. Out of sight out of mind.

Yes, actually, it is all good. If there's no evidence of a problem, in this case, there's no problem.

We get it, you have $800 for a new engine. Good for you. Another 200 years of running regular over premium and you'll have saved enough to buy a modest house in cash. :rolleyes:

I see what you did thar! Clever. Anyway, I prefer not to waste my money on something that provides me with no benefit. That's just the way I do things.

Well, at least you can do math. But you forgot to figure a mechanics time (or even your time) to R&R the engine. Then, hope you get a good engine from that junk yard.

Actually I was figuring my time, but an engine swap is about 12 book hours IIRC, which would be $780 or less at the mechanic that I would go to should the need arise. While it would be a bit of a gamble at a U Pull It yard, most junkyards offer warranties on things like this. The risk of installing a bad engine would be rather low.

Really though, the main bullet point of this is that my engine isn't going to explode due to the use of regular gasoline.

You don't see how that comment comes off as "look at me, I have cars with engines more expensive than 30 of your cars?"

And people wonder why I don't show and telll about my toys... If I wanted to come across as "look at me....", I'd been flaunting what I got. But I consider myself a down to earth kinda guy, whether I have two commas and a period in my checking account balance, or just a single lone unaccompanied period.

FORD engineers know the difference between "recommended" and "required." If premium were required, it would say "Premium Fuel Required."

It all depends on how you drive, me thinks.

I noticed 85 octane fuel for sale on a road trip to CO. I thought it was CO, but the station may have been northern NM, I don't really remember. And yes, as I said, 91 is available here, but neither 89 nor 91 are ever labeled as "regular."

That doesn't tell me anything. I noticed a naked midget once but I don't remember where. Gotta be a little more specific than that.

Yes, actually, it is all good. If there's no evidence of a problem, in this case, there's no problem.

Ok. If you say so.

I see what you did thar! Clever. Anyway, I prefer not to waste my money on something that provides me with no benefit. That's just the way I do things.

Yes, I've been called "clever" once or twice. "rolleyes:

And if it's just the way you do things, that's fine. This is how I do things. I don't cut corners to save a few pennies. As such, people that do are worthless in my book. And no, I'm not calling you personally, worthless. I'm speaking in general.

Actually I was figuring my time, but an engine swap is about 12 book hours IIRC, which would be $780 or less at the mechanic that I would go to should the need arise. While it would be a bit of a gamble at a U Pull It yard, most junkyards offer warranties on things like this. The risk of installing a bad engine would be rather low.

Wouldn't know, never bought a junk yard engine, personally. No.. wait.. I did once. But it shipped to my machinist's shop where it received a full rebuild... I've never personally bought a junk yard engine and slapped it into a car without a rebuild first. There.

Really though, the main bullet point of this is that my engine isn't going to explode due to the use of regular gasoline.

Famous last words. But good luck.

And people wonder why I don't show and telll about my toys... If I wanted to come across as "look at me....", I'd been flaunting what I got. But I consider myself a down to earth kinda guy, whether I have two commas and a period in my checking account balance, or just a single lone unaccompanied period.

Eh, I suppose you're right on that one.

That doesn't tell me anything. I noticed a naked midget once but I don't remember where. Gotta be a little more specific than that.

My point was that 85 octane fuel is indeed available for sale.

... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=85+octane+fuel :p

Ok. If you say so.

I do say so, my motor is fine on regular fuel. I'm not saying someone else's motor will or will not be, but my motor is... which really isn't up for debate.

And if it's just the way you do things, that's fine. This is how I do things. I don't cut corners to save a few pennies. As such, people that do are worthless in my book. And no, I'm not calling you personally, worthless. I'm speaking in general.

Actually, you are. It's kinda like how people say "no disrespect" before they completely disrespect someone. Thing is, there is not a downside to running regular fuel in my vehicle. So it doesn't fall under the category of cutting corners.

Wouldn't know, never bought a junk yard engine, personally. No.. wait.. I did once. But it shipped to my machinist's shop where it received a full rebuild... I've never personally bought a junk yard engine and slapped it into a car without a rebuild first. There. ...
Famous last words. But good luck.

Have you ever bought a used car? Because if you did, and didn't take it to the dealership/mechanic to have every wear item replaced... you're cutting corners. :)

I tend to let people do what they want after I have warned them of the consequences and wait for the day I can say I told you so. But if that time never comes, so be it and say they got lucky. It does no good to keep telling them what they already know, it is called being hard headed.

Actually, you are. It's kinda like how people say "no disrespect" before they completely disrespect someone. Thing is, there is not a downside to running regular fuel in my vehicle. So it doesn't fall under the category of cutting corners.

No... if I were to call someone worthless I'd tell them to their "face" as it were and not generalize it.

Have you ever bought a used car? Because if you did, and didn't take it to the dealership/mechanic to have every wear item replaced... you're cutting corners. :)

I'd say your example is a little extreme. There's a difference between saving 30, 50 even 100 grand over new, by buying a used car and then spending an extra couple of grand to fix wear and tear items

it seems everyone on here just "guesses" they need or dont need certain fuels.

did a little searching and found a nice article:

http://www.us3s.org/freeforum/showthread.php?t=5205.

Ford uses "recommended" now just as they did in 1993, for maximum engine power premium is "recommended" not "required".

kinda like drinking 8 full glasses of water a day is recommended, but not required.

me? i use premium for best performance,not because i fear engine damage from it.

My old turbocoupe ran on 23psi of boost after i installed the t4 turbo, so i was "required" to use premium, it would detonate like hell if i didnt.

Experts knock premium

Pricey gasoline doesn't benefit most kinds of automobiles
April 3, 2003
BY MARK PHELAN
DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

What difference does it make if you use regular or premium gasoline in your car?

About 20 cents a gallon.

It may be small comfort with gas prices remaining so high, but you virtually never gain anything by running a higher and more expensive grade of fuel than the manufacturer recommended, and you may not lose much if you use a lower grade of fuel, a variety of experts say.

A lot of people fill up with premium every third or fourth tank. Some do it to clean out the engine, some to get a little more power or help an older engine run smoothly.

It's a nice idea, but they might as well toss 20 cents a gallon into a wishing well.

"It's a waste of money," said Harold Schock, professor of mechanical engineering and director of Michigan State University's Automotive Research Experiment Station, which studies combustion systems.

"It doesn't make any difference for most people," Schock said. "Most engines are designed to operate on relatively low-octane fuel."

There is no power difference from high-octane premium to low-octane regular, said Robert Furey, a fuel specialist with General Motors Corp.

"Octane is simply a fuel's resistance to knocking," he said.

"There's no benefit if the octane is higher than the engine needs, but if it's too low, that can cause knocking," he said.

Engine knock -- what happens when fuel in a combustion chamber ignites before it should, causing a disruption in the engine's operation -- used to be a major concern, but devices called knock sensors have nearly eliminated it, said Pete Dowding, manager of Ford's modular V8 and V10 engine program.

Before electronic knock sensors became common, a bad tank of fuel could be disastrous, because persistent, severe knocking can destroy an engine, Furey said.

"If you find your car runs fine on a lower grade of fuel, go ahead," said Bill Hickman, spokesman for the American Petroleum Institute. "We don't encourage people to buy a higher grade. Just follow the manufacturer's suggestions."

Some automakers still say premium is required for their high-performance engines, but even they admit it's more of a suggestion than a command.

"Based on our high compression ratios, it's important to use premium," said Rob Mitchell, spokesman for BMW of North America.

"However, you can run on regular if no premium is available. We don't recommend it, but it won't damage the engine. There is a slight deterioration of performance, however."

Running regular fuel in an engine designed to use premium does reduce performance and fuel economy, Furey said, but too slightly for most drivers to notice.

GM requires premium for just two engines: its supercharged 3.8-liter V6, used in the V6 Buick Regal GS, and high-output 1.8-liter four-cylinder in the Pontiac Vibe GT.

Even the Chevrolet Corvette runs fine on regular, Furey said, although GM recommends premium for maximum performance.

On the other hand, some engines have sophisticated two-way knock sensors, which allow them to generate more power if you use a higher-octane fuel than the manufacturer recommends. Chrysler reportedly fits some of its engines with such sensors, meaning that a fill-up with premium actually can put a tiger in your tank.

Members online

No members online now.
Back