Wrinkle finish on valve covers - bad idea?

Marcus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I've got a set of valve covers I want to have powder coated, but I'm debating what to do exactly. I'm steering towards black wrinkle finish, but I've been told they're a pain in the ass to keep clean.

I've got the "Powered by Ford" COP covers in the shop right now to get some wild stuff done to them, and was thinking the black wrinkle would go well with them. Any advice? I'm not crazy about blue or silver FYI.

I could see them being hard to clean if they got dirty, but I would imagine a clean motor with no oil leaks wouldnt really cause much dirt to get on them. I usually have to wife the dust off my motor but other than that the engine compartment stays pretty clean. Im going to wrinkle finish my covers...

My brother has powdercoated gloss black valve covers on his mustang. They look great and are easy to keep clean. You just have to keep up on the cleaning or else they get nasty.

I could see them being hard to clean if they got dirty, but I would imagine a clean motor with no oil leaks wouldnt really cause much dirt to get on them. I usually have to wife the dust off my motor but other than that the engine compartment stays pretty clean. Im going to wrinkle finish my covers...

Never thought of using the wife for that.... :)

I painted a set of canisters with that stuff because I loved the look. Then I heard how much it costs. :eek:

I think it would look great.

if you like black i say powdercoat them gloss black, the hammered ot textured stuff is a killer to clean.

I'm doing the same with mine. I've got the same coil covers also. I think it'll look great.

if you like black i say powdercoat them gloss black, the hammered ot textured stuff is a killer to clean.

Yeah that's what I've been told. Hmm, I know there are some finishes that have little flecks of color in them, maybe I'll look into that. Nothing bling, mind you, just something to break up the black so they don't look totally stock.

Oh hell, I think I'll just do them candy neon green with an orange intake. :p

I have a black textured finish, and they are easy to keep clean with just an air hose. Don't put any type of towel on them though. Lint everywhere. It is way worth it for the coolness factor. I would do it again in if I had to, in the same flat black type finish :)

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

What did you use on the headers? I've never seen any type of paint keep it's color on those things.

I have a black textured finish, and they are easy to keep clean with just an air hose. Don't put any type of towel on them though. Lint everywhere. It is way worth it for the coolness factor. I would do it again in if I had to, in the same flat black type finish :)

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

Makes me so jealous cause I would love to drop the engine out the bottom of my Mark. Could get so much done so much more quickly :cool:

What did you use on the headers? I've never seen any type of paint keep it's color on those things.

I purchased the headers with that silver jet hot ceramic coating on them.

You're not making this any easier Mike. :p

So what you have is not a true wrinkle finish, but more of a pebble finish, correct?

Here's a link to the place I'm having all my powder coating done.

http://www.vanillagorillacoatingsystems.net/ColorOption/coloroption.html

There are more color options on the menu to the left.

I would describe the finish that it feels like sand paper.

the finish on mikes valve covers is called mini texture satin black. we use it on our spiral stair cases and railings at work daily. if you dont have the money to do yours in powdercoat, home depot sells rustoleum mini texture satin black paint in an aerosol that looks dead on to mikes valve covers, i know because we keep cans of it in out work trucks for fence and railing touch up, you cannot tell the difference from the paint to the powdercoat, and its 5 bucks a can!!
N7221_830_4.jpg

I have the rear swing arm of my atv done in silver vein. I like it, i just take a tire brush to it when it needs cleaned. Still takes more time than a regular finish, but it's not that bad.

guy i work with has an old chopped harley sportster he had the tank and tins powdered copper vein looks sweet.

I'm liking the "vein" stuff, just not sure if it'll turn out looking like deck chairs or a floor lamp lol. Hopefully my COP covers will be done next week and I can figure out what to do when I pick those up.

The valve covers themselves are in another shop right getting repaired because some dumb f*ck used a torch to remove a broken COP cover bolt and melted the top of the standoff or whatever it's called.

I like the black wrinkle finnishes. Here are my friends Kevin and Erics cars.:)

IMGP1863.jpg

IMGP1861.jpg

I used a red clear over silver vein - really easy to keep up...
c46c2e25f7ce.jpg

a8c659e9e23e.jpg

dogbones.jpg

wow red clear over silver vein i like that man, looks sick. i'm thinking of my valve covers and intake with a transluscent purple over silver vein i have been thinking for years to do an intake and valve covers a deep purple but that might look better over silver vein.

The vein in the silver also 'covers up' any tiny surface imperfections that you might have on the covers....

image002.jpg

engine_com_2.jpg

The vein in the silver also 'covers up' any tiny surface imperfections that you might have on the covers....

image002.jpg

engine_com_2.jpg

I was just at Harry's U Pull It with a friend a few weeks ago and saw a Northstar sitting there next to the Caddy it came from. I thought about picking it up since it was $100 or $150 but then was like I have no GM cars anymore so I walked on. Nice looking engines tho :cool:

Members online

Back