window weatherstriping

catmech

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
does any one know where i can get some windshield and rear windshield rubber trim pieces?

the rear window is what they call encapsulated glass and the only way to get the weather strip is to buy the window. There is some aftermarket stuff called black lace if you absolutely have to have it. Doesn't fit or look right in my opinion though. [/COLOR]

cant get a new oem window from lincoln. where can i get one from other than the bone yard. also i tried looking up black lace on the internet and couldnt get a any results about weatherstrippng.

Jamie97lsc had some good ones but you'd likely have to pop down to Florida and pick up / fit.

i couldnt get down there. is there a chance he would sell me just the weather stripping and not the whole window.

As already mentioned, they can't be separated successfully. You'll need a complete window. There are other fixes. Some guy on another forum was selling a 'filler kit' I don't know any details though. Speak to Mespock too. I think he cut his off or something? Don't know the details though... I'm sure more people will chime in.

thanks blue. ive posted a thread for mespock. if worst comes to worst ill contact jamie and see how much it would cost to ship the glass.

Shipping glass is risky.

You know you can PM Mespock too, right? Lol.

I'll have a search on that other forum I mentioned and PM you the link when I find the trim fix thread.

Just PM'ed you the link to a kit a guy called Hal sells. Looks good as a last resort option!

thanks blue. i know i could pm him. didnt want to take the time do look up one of his threads though. thanks for the link i appreciate it. the real problem isnt the rippling effect though. the rubber is starting to pit on the seal itself. im gonna try to sand it with real fine grit sand paper after filling with black silicone. it might help. if that works then i will get that kit from hal.

Sounds like mine. My 93's has virtually no rippling but looks kinda burnt in one section along the top. Dry rot I guess? Hasn't got any worse though since I started using rubber conditioner on it.

yeah. thats the same prob i got. mine is all around the edges and then 1 spot on molding itself on drivers side.

If you're repainting the car anytime soon, you could do as I plan and take out the rear glass, fill in the gap in the body, cut the molding off, and set it in just with urethane. Flush mount style, never to have the problem again. You just have to make sure you shim the window out so it sits flush and doesn't look stupid.

Thats a good idea.

I had success with taking a plastic kitchen knife and folding it under itself to remove the "lasagna" shape. Most people wouldnt notice unless you drove a mark and knew about the problem.

i wont ship one unless you want to pay for all the wood to build the crate, my labor to build the crate, the shipping to ship the crate, and the gas for me to drive 48 miles to southeastern freight lines!!! even if i sold you a mint window for $200 it would cost you around 500 for all mentioned above. safelite had the windows less than a year ago for around $870 bucks installed.

does the safelite window include the seal and trim. or do they try to reuse the existing seal?

yeah this glass thing sucks. if i go ponies way i spend about a grand in body work. if i buy new glass for a new seal im looking at almost a grand for the glass and install. catch 22.

If you're repainting the car anytime soon, you could do as I plan and take out the rear glass, fill in the gap in the body, cut the molding off, and set it in just with urethane. Flush mount style, never to have the problem again. You just have to make sure you shim the window out so it sits flush and doesn't look stupid.

*Places in mental storage for later experimentation.*

sounds like its time for a mysterious tree branch accident and a call to the insurance company..............

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

I lucked out and got a brand new one installed for 420.00 for everything:D Safelite wanted around 900.00 but I got a online quote from a company around me (montco glass) and when they came to my buddy's body shop, they tried to get more and I pulled out the "online quote" ......... he he he! They knew they f*cked up but the customer is always right;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back